Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 05:27 PM

168 posts, read 307,813 times

Advertisements

It's all but official that we're moving to the sunshine state! Can someone please give us some insight on a mid winter move from everything frozen land to Jacksonville? I already have a job lined up, my wife is hunting now and our 13 y.o. son will be in public schools. Any info is GREATLY appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 07:24 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
First, don't ditch all your heavier clothes - we do have stretches of cold weather (in terms of days and weeks, but not months!) Snow shovels can be useful for shoveling mulch, but you won't need them for snow and ice. So, you can leave them or bring them.

Second, having lived in an everything-frozen-land, depending on when you're making this mid-winter move, be sure to prep now anything that's outdoors and will be making the move with you. It would be lousy if a picnic table you wanted to bring was stuck firmly in snow and ice when the time came to load the moving van.

Third, more info is needed about price range and house/neighborhood requirements, interests and lifestyle, and work location (to help with what's considered a doable commute) before anyone can reply with advice or suggestions. Certainly your house hunting has shown that Jacksonville is huge with lots of different "flavors".

Sounds like you're a bit excited about the upcoming move!

Old 10-17-2015, 09:05 AM

We're thrilled! We're wanting enough property for a 3 car garage for me (I'm a mechanic), we don't want to live farther than 30 min from a beach and the public schools need to be decent for our son. The home needs to be liveable immediately, and we're very happy with a "dated" home to save money on a loan. I'll be working on the south east side and my wife doesn't have a job yet. We like museums, festivals, events and state parks.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:31 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
Beware that sometimes garages become replacements for storage. Basements and large attics are not found here. Perhaps that won't be an issue for you. Sadly I'm a bit of a packrat and our cars have yet to see the inside of the garage ... they will someday I vow.

Throughout the Jacksonville Forum, when it's a discussion about schools, the majority of opinions expressed say that St. Johns County shines. Others will adamantly say that Duval has good schools, too. To be fair I have to stay outside this discussion because I don't have first-hand experience.

Looking at the desire for a three-car garage, there are some subdivisions that have them and some that don't. If it's a HOA there could be restrictions of all kinds or few - I think probably all allow tinkering with some being more restrictive (noise levels, times of day, etc.), but none would allow any kind of business-like tinkering. If you're a professional or a hobbyist look first at covenants.

There are non-HOA neighborhoods where you might find a three-car garage or a two-car garage and an outbuilding.

You don't mind if the house is "dated", but do you care greatly if it's cookie-cutter? Do you need a large lot or will postage stamp be ok? These are some other kinds of decisions to make.

I could easily fill up city-data's storage capacity just listing things to do in Jacksonville and the First Coast. While some might say it's boring and dull and nothing to do, I beg to differ.

All-n-all I think you might find what you're looking for in a good school district and not with a annoying commute. The rule of thumb generally is to live on the same side of the St. Johns River where you work. Some, however, are not bothered by going over any of the bridges. But focusing on the east side of the river will keep you closer to the beach.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:55 AM

465 posts, read 699,493 times
I think you'll be happy here. I used to live in Indiana (Pike Township) and the first thing I did in moving here was to put my heaviest coats on ebay (i.e. my snow shoveling the driveway for 30 minutes coat). I kept a few fleeces and use them a handful of times a year.

There's actually sunshine during the winter. Good luck with the move.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:05 AM

Thanks for the positive replies! We've reserved the trucks with flexible dates and we're starting to iron out details now....

Old 10-20-2015, 05:31 AM

46 posts, read 60,909 times
What is your budget? There are a few listings of homes with 3 car garages $245k-$300k, but the rest are more expensive, so if that is a must have it could dictate what area to look in if your budget is an issue.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:28 PM

We're planning on a home with no attached garage to save on the budget. Adding a 3 bay garage isn't very expensive and the only requirement at that point is enough dirt to build one. I'd love to find something under 100k to make things easier until our other house sells.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:46 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Yes, northeastern Florida can/does get cold. Not necessarily freezing temps, but cold that you will notice. We've lived in both Denver, CO south metro and just north of Charlotte, NC and really didn't think it would get as cold as it does get here sometimes in the winter. Actually, you could get a big surprise, if/when it happens, to snow somewhere in JAX during the winter. I've got video of snow falling in our apt. complex on Christmas days 2010! It didn't stick, but it was definitely coming down and newcomers to JAX would be completely shocked to see that. Daytona Beach has seen snow falling as well. Just don't be surprise if you hear on local forecast that a low of 24 degrees is going to happen. I doubt if many who move here realize that it can get that cold here in the early morning. Last year, we had noon highs of 45 degrees. Florida with a high temp of 45 degrees..........who would think that?

BTW, I'm originally from outside Ft. Wayne, Indiana, so I know what Indiana winters are like.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:22 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,910,503 times
LoveBoating,

Long time since I've seen any posts from you. I thought you were moving back to NC or something? Still in Jax?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville