Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 11:16 PM

65 posts, read 70,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I for one don't think we need to build an amphitheater to compete with Saint Augustine.....Jacksonville tends to have a history of losing when competing.
Respectfully, the old way of thinking lead Jacksonville to where it used to be, a gas stop on the way to Orlando. We're moving forward, not backward and our thinking, collectively needs to change.

Quote:
Metro Park was established in 1985 and thousands of people have come to enjoy the unique waterfront experience...............why move it to a parking lot?
Again, respectfully, do we, the citizens want to see an outdated 30 year old canopy/band stand become an obstacle to a multi-million dollar real estate deal that would create jobs, increase tax base and provide citizens with a place to go more than once every other week?

Quote:
.soil contamination
Yes, there is a lot of soil contamination all over Jacksonville. In fact just south of JTB/95, the city...of Jacksonville...used to bury garbage. They used to dig long tracts of pits and dump garbage, and cover with dirt. All of this awaits developers from Phillips Hwy all the way to Southside Blvd. Old way of thinking. Soil Contamination at the Ash Sites downtown, the contamination of Hogan's Creek and many of our river's tributaries, can we solve them all? No, but we can work on selling the best gems along the river to developers who will turn the land into tax producing properties. If we, the taxpayers, have to pay less tax due to developments paying more.......that is a good thing or a bad thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 04:11 AM

5,199 posts, read 6,139,618 times
If you look in Jacksonville past you would see that the downtown was thriving, it was not that long ago, well maybe 34 that we even had one of the largest Sears in the Southeast in downtown.
Sears: The Cadillac Store Of The South | Metro Jacksonville

Not sure how long you have been in this area but, downtown has been stagnant and for the most part just barely holding steady. If you look back over the last 30 years you have to admit the city's direction has been dismal.

Obviously you remember the Gator Bowl right? It was old and outdated and yet it was just about completely torn down and rebuilt for the cost of millions.

Metro Park is a unique and beautiful location, why not work with what we have instead of creating another money pit.

Is the property for this new proposal owned by the city? If it is how is this a million dollar real estate deal?

The city has been funding Everbank field for years and logically I don't see how they are helping themselves or the taxpayers.

I am not against a push for revitalization but come on, it was not that many months ago that Kahn put on a super polished presentation to the city, press and us the merits of turning the waterfront into a jewel, and I could get on board with that.

Fast forward early September 2015 and with the would contamination he respectfully switched gears and again put forward a proposal of him bearing the full costs of a practice field in the area south of the stadium.

Now we have a brand new proposal again for the city's partnership with a bigger better project.

We are talking about another 50 million dollar investment by the city who is currently in deep hock with their pension fund. Granted this would be repayed by the bed tax but with the scoreboards and pools I believe the city has about 20 years before they break even on that investment.

All I am saying is for the city to sit down and put together a package of what is right for the future not a shiny new toy that will last a few years.

The Shipyards Property needs to be addressed now. That is a substantial piece of real estate only to have no game plan.

As I mentioned the USS Adams was to tie up there......and like the article said about the aquarium, they need to know what the plan is for the property as it will determine their movement.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:38 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Default Brownfield Assessment

Seems to me with all this talk of contamination - we should have heard something about one or more possible Brownfield projects:

What is a Brownfield? | Brownfield Action

Wonder if the city even has anyone who knows anything about this stuff - or has retained a consultant in the area? Kind of doubt it - as it just seems to be abandoning possible projects on contaminated properties.

The one thing I feel strongly about is that developing a parcel here - and a parcel there - just isn't going to cut it. There should be a coherent development plan that covers all or most of the major vacant parcels. As for a project like the USS Adams - I get the impression it's more of a peripheral grassroots type of project than a "centerpiece" (from time to time various people set up desks at our local Publix and ask us to sign petitions in favor of/donate money to the project). Robyn

Old 11-17-2015, 02:27 PM

Default Thread was - More Everbank Upgrades Proposed - staying on thread....

I want to continue discussing the thread, not the pension fund, not what downtown used to be or what it could be or will be, cause no one that does not walk on water knows.......so......

Everbank Field is owned by the Citizens of Jacksonville, it is a great big man-made park. Whether you like doing anything, or nothing, the stadium requires maintenance and upgrades. There are 3 teams planning to leave their cities for another city, all due to cities balking at upgrading their stadiums. Jacksonville also hosts bowl games, FL/GA and next year Navy/ND, as well as other football, soccer and concerts. All the improvements are to be made on this existing site:

Jaguars, city propose $90M amphitheater, indoor practice field, stadium improvements | News - Home

Quote:
The proposal calls for a .... amphitheater that would seat 10,000 people for concerts and special events to be located on the south end of the stadium in place of the fan zone.
So to quell your fear of needing to buy new real estate for the amphitheater, the little used area called the "fan zone" will be the location of the amphitheater.

Met Park has been here as long as I have lived in Jax, since 1980, I think its a bit tired and worn out, and could be razed and used for the Shipyard project, which is a lot more expensive than $45 million by the city, not $50 million.

I believe the Shipyards will come, but first, you have to get people downtown. Having a place for people to go for concerts and events with ample parking and a great venue, would be a great start to the Shipyards, which will eventually happen, IMO. The land is too valuable to just sit empty.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:47 PM

I've only been to Everbank for the Florida/Georgia game. And I think it will be important to see how negotiations with UF and UGA go now that the contract is ending soon (2016). In particular - it will be interesting to see what Atlanta's new stadium - opening in 2017 - offers. It will also be interesting to see how the Jaguars "play ball" with respect to the game (the UF/UGA interests are different than those of the Jaguars - especially in terms of seating).

City, Jaguars have work to do to keep Florida-Georgia game at EverBank Field beyond 2016 | jacksonville.com

On my part - I have never been sure why UF and UGA want to play the game in Jacksonville - or would want to play the game in Atlanta (JAX is an overnight for people from Athens - Atlanta would be an overnight for people from Gainesville). Except out of inertia (the game has been played here on regular basis since 1933).

These days - seating of important school boosters is apparently very important. And no question the huge "President's Box" at Gainesville is much much much better than the small President's Box here (have watched games in both).* I am sure the President's box at UGA is like the one in Gainesville. Maybe it just makes sense having the game alternate between between the 2 schools? The only really big downside to that that I can see is I don't think that Gainesville or Athens has enough hotel rooms to accommodate fans from out of town. Then again - if that is a consideration - Atlanta would sure have it over Jacksonville.

BTW - how do you think the metro area would be harmed if the Jaguars left? I don't think my sense of "civic pride" would be less with no team than an almost perpetually crummy team. And - even with a great team (I moved to Miami right before the Dolphins' famous undefeated season in 1972) - well it was warm and fuzzy for about 10 minutes - and then we got hit with the recession and building bust in '73-'74. Robyn

*My husband and I are "friends" of UF but not big football fans. We went to a game in Gainesville and one Florida/Georgia game here to see what the fuss was about. We had a lot of fun - but once was enough for us. Especially since you can't even have so much as a beer when you're watching the game. The "world's largest cocktail party" is outside the stadium at the Florida/Georgia game - but definitely not inside.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:00 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I am not in general Robyn
ROBYN!!! Where have you been?? have not seen you online in long time!! everything ok?

On topic is Jax trying to get another Superbowl or the College Footbal Championship? If not no upgrades.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:50 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,160,922 times
^Yes they are trying. Percentage of success ranges from slim to none, at least for the next 10 years.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
^Yes they are trying. Percentage of success ranges from slim to none, at least for the next 10 years.
Love the optimism, its comments like this that encourage others to bury their head in the sand and never experience change. The changes and enhancements are a MAIN reason why Notre Dame and Navy are playing in Jax next year, for a Navy home game. Its why the Taxslayer bowl is becoming a major bowl game, and why Jax has a shot, a good one, at a piece of the college playoffs.

Its all about facilities, why do you think Atlanta is getting an entirely new stadium? Their existing one isnt that old, but they need a new one to compete with the one in Dallas.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:51 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,160,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtraininjax View Post
Love the optimism, its comments like this that encourage others to bury their head in the sand and never experience change. The changes and enhancements are a MAIN reason why Notre Dame and Navy are playing in Jax next year, for a Navy home game. Its why the Taxslayer bowl is becoming a major bowl game, and why Jax has a shot, a good one, at a piece of the college playoffs.

Its all about facilities, why do you think Atlanta is getting an entirely new stadium? Their existing one isnt that old, but they need a new one to compete with the one in Dallas.
Sometimes it is so painful conversing with you, mtrain, that I wonder if it's worth it. But I'll take a chance this time...

The question was if we would host a Super Bowl or National Championship Game. I think it's very unlikely in the next decade. Not impossible, but very unlikely. You start talking about everything else but what was specifically asked. We didnt even bid for the 2018-2020 playoff games. Our bid committees decided there was no point. Realistically what would you say are our chances to land a playoff game between 2021 and 2025? I think, quite optimistically, maybe 20%. Chances at the title game? A little less. Many would consider that slim.

Separately, your comment about the Taxslayer Bowl is extremely laughable. The game was very significant a decade ago. It's become quite an embarrassment since. I do hope it can reach "major" status again but it hasn't shown any signs of that yet.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
ROBYN!!! Where have you been?? have not seen you online in long time!! everything ok?

On topic is Jax trying to get another Superbowl or the College Footbal Championship? If not no upgrades.
I guess I took a vacation of sorts. For a variety of reasons. Thank you (and others too) for welcoming me back. Others here are not so happy to see me .

I hope I can liven up this forum a bit - and perhaps contribute a little in terms of making this area a better place to live.

In all honesty - I have issues here. In terms of this not being the best place to live (for us). My husband and I were ready to leave in the early 2000's. Then my late FIL had a big stroke - and we moved him to a great nursing home here in 2002. Then he died - in 2004 - and we were ready to leave again. But my mother died a few months months later - and my father moved to a pretty good senior place here. In early 2006. He is still living in the same place.

My father is now 97 - and was recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He has a good living situation - and great medical care here. So - even though I think there might be better places for me and my husband - well - heck I'm not going to abandon my father here. My husband and I are both eldest children - and I think it is basically our responsibility to care for our elderly parents. This area is ok - not great for us. But - there isn't any place I've found that would be so much better - if any better for us - that I would leave the area and dump my father here.

So I hope to make the best of whatever the JAX metro area has to offer - and will try to work to increase the chances that it has more to offer - for all of us . Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville