Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 11:51 PM

140 posts, read 168,023 times

Advertisements

Are the prices of groceries, utilities, gas etc higher in the beach areas?

There is a Longhorn at the Jax beach close to Ponte Vedra.... Have any of you had a chance to visit there? If so how was the service, the food, the atmosphere etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 06:40 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,339,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jada_yel View Post
Are the prices of groceries, utilities, gas etc higher in the beach areas ?
No!
Quote:
There is a Longhorn at the Jax beach close to Ponte Vedra.... Have any of you had a chance to visit there? If so how was the service, the food, the atmosphere etc?
It's fine, but we (my wife and I) prefer Outback more. And it's also down by Ponte Vedra.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:14 AM

26 posts, read 36,972 times
All the good places to live in the Jax area are near the St Johns River or beaches or marshes.

Here's all the good places I know of in Jax and the surrounding area:

>Five Points Area (around Memorial Park)
>Riverside
>Avondale
>Ortega/Ortega Forest
>Venetia area
>Orange Park (River Rd area, has a nice walking trail right on the Saint Johns River, only decent area of OP imo)
>Fleming Island (overrated & overcrowded IMO, but good place to raise a family I guess)
>San Marco Area
>Atlantic Beach
>Neptune Beach
>Jacksonville Beach
>Ponte Vedra Beach (avoid when major Golf Tournaments are going on, traffic can get bad)
>Saint Augustine (around downtown, but avoid this area during the holidays and during festivals)

That's about it. Avoid everywhere else.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusrs View Post
All the good places to live in the Jax area are near the St Johns River or beaches or marshes.

Here's all the good places I know of in Jax and the surrounding area:

>Five Points Area (around Memorial Park)
>Riverside
>Avondale
>Ortega/Ortega Forest
>Venetia area
>Orange Park (River Rd area, has a nice walking trail right on the Saint Johns River, only decent area of OP imo)
>Fleming Island (overrated & overcrowded IMO, but good place to raise a family I guess)
>San Marco Area
>Atlantic Beach
>Neptune Beach
>Jacksonville Beach
>Ponte Vedra Beach (avoid when major Golf Tournaments are going on, traffic can get bad)
>Saint Augustine (around downtown, but avoid this area during the holidays and during festivals)

That's about it. Avoid everywhere else.
Does I - 95 get bad during rush hours for someone who lives in San Marco and travels to the airport on a daily basis? There is some possibility that my job will be around the airport area. From what I have read on other forums people are avoiding the north side like it's a plague... I don't know where else would be logical to live since airport is not centrally located and I can't afford Springfield. San Marco, southside, sandalwood, arlington are the neighborhoods that are in my prince range for now....I am still researching.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:20 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
I don't know how bad the I-95 traffic is on that stretch from San Marco to the airport - but it is an older more "beaten up" part of I-95 that I don't particularly like traveling on. So I avoid it if possible. If there isn't construction there now to bring it "up to snuff" - I suspect there will be in the future.

We use I-295 to get to the airport. From the beaches/Butler Blvd. It's accessible/close to other parts of town as well. I-295 is a fairly new modern road that doesn't seem to be too crowded in most parts most of the time. Can't speak specifically about rush hour.

BTW - are you sure San Marco is cheaper than Springfield? It's possible - but doesn't sound right to me. Robyn

Old 12-10-2015, 07:34 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,339,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
BTW - are you sure San Marco is cheaper than Springfield? It's possible - but doesn't sound right to me. Robyn
In no way overall, is San Marco cheaper than Springfield.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:05 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Quote:
Does I - 95 get bad during rush hours for someone who lives in San Marco and travels to the airport on a daily basis? There is some possibility that my job will be around the airport area. From what I have read on other forums people are avoiding the north side like it's a plague... I don't know where else would be logical to live since airport is not centrally located and I can't afford Springfield. San Marco, southside, sandalwood, arlington are the neighborhoods that are in my prince range for now....I am still researching.
Traffic shouldn't be too bad during regular hours as it's a reverse commute. Of course, working at a restaurant means you're not commuting at regular hours. As long as you don't head to work between 4-6:30p you would be fine. I think you are confused about Springfield area...it's actually quite cheap so you must have the wrong neighborhood. There's nothing wrong with living in certain parts of the Northside, particularly around the airport. It's very suburban but quite new and safe. It would not have much in the way of excitement but it has all the amenities that are needed now that the River City Market Place is in full swing.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:37 PM

I don't know I just go to apartments.com put my price range and put a check on pets and hit search nothing comes up on Springfield.

There is one apartment a lil south of Springfield it is called kings ridge and it looks a bit section 8 how ever I might be wrong.

What are the bad areas on the north side?

Old 12-13-2015, 07:50 PM

I never thought it would be so hard to rent a place in another state.... Some places don't answer their phones, some do but they rush you and tell you they will email you and they don't and some just go directly into the voicemail... I don't know if they are really busy or they don't care... I wish I could go there and walk in but I can't request off in Christmas season.... I also looked on rentals on Craig'slist... Most of the ads are fake. It is so challenging... Lol

Old 12-13-2015, 08:57 PM

75 posts, read 103,430 times
I don't see Intercoastal West area mentioned in the previous posts and I think it is an great area to live in. I live off of South Kernan Blvd between Butler and Beach and there are several nice looking apartments complexes along S. Kernan. There is a great walking/bike path along Kernan that leads to Beach Blvd that is used by many. I love the area-still close to the beach and I enjoy some of the cooling breezes from the beach. Plus, I am near lots of retail but don't feel like I live in a concrete urban jungle. I would do a search on South Kernan for apartments especially as it close to the Southside also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville