Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 09:41 PM

21 posts, read 24,964 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to St. Johns County in a little over a year. One of the areas we are considering is Julington Creek Plantation.

Some people hate strict HOAs -- feeling that they are too overbearing/controlling. We actually prefer them as they make sure the properties are kept up well. We drove around several non-gated communities within JCP and were surprised to see nice homes for the most part, but also a sprinkling of fences in poor repair, some overgrown yards, etc.

Are there big differences in the neighborhoods of JCP in terms of how well they are maintained? I am wondering if the gated ones tend to have stricter requirements. The ones we visited today were not gated.

Any guidance -- especially with NAMES of specific subdivisions you would recommend -- would be appreciated. We are looking to buy a home in the $350k - $450k range.

Thanks,
Carol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 09:40 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,950 times
The HOA does a pretty good job of ensuring homes and property are maintained. The homes you see with issues like fences in need of repair or yards that need work are likely in pre-foreclosure or already foreclosed. The HOA can continue sending letters, fining, and imposing liens against the property, but realistically, they won't ever see the money.

Things are much better now than they were just a few years ago. The housing crisis really hit Florida hard. We don't have nearly as many foreclosures in our JCP neighborhod (We are in The Parkes) as we did even a few years ago. I think things will continue to improve.

We just got a friendly note from our HOA rep because I accidentally left a lawn chair in our driveway overnight. We had been sitting outside talking with neighbors and I just forgot to put it back on the porch. The HOA covenant enforcement is alive and well

Old 01-02-2016, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,178 times
I live in Julington Creek Plantation, and have shown, listed, and sold numerous houses in the area. I can tell you that the value offered by the HOA generally supports the cost by way of home prices. The downsides are obvious -- people can be obnoxious in reporting "offenses" to the HOA, the fees are not negotiable and may change from year to year, and you may be restricted in what you can do to the exterior of the home and whether you can park certain kinds of vehicles or trailers in your driveway.

However, if you are willing to look past the downsides, a strong HOA has a huge influence on the value of the homes. When I compare areas with weaker HOAs in the NW St. Johns County area, there's absolutely a correlation -- the stronger the HOA the stronger the resale market.

In JCP, for your price point, I'd steer toward the neighborhoods of: Eastgate, Westgate, Plantation Cove, the Meadows, Plantation Estates, Magnolia Preserve, Eastwood, Plantation Island, and Deer Run. I'm not aware of any additional restrictions for the gated communities -- it's a good question and I'll try to find out the answer on that.

Let me know if you want to have a conversation; we can take this offline and I can be more specific.

Last edited by LaurelBlack; 01-02-2016 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: Added additional comment to better answer question

Old 01-03-2016, 07:18 AM

6,410 posts, read 4,905,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurelBlack View Post
I live in Julington Creek Plantation, and have shown, listed, and sold numerous houses in the area. I can tell you that the value offered by the HOA generally supports the cost by way of home prices. The downsides are obvious -- people can be obnoxious in reporting "offenses" to the HOA, the fees are not negotiable and may change from year to year, and you may be restricted in what you can do to the exterior of the home and whether you can park certain kinds of vehicles or trailers in your driveway.

However, if you are willing to look past the downsides, a strong HOA has a huge influence on the value of the homes. When I compare areas with weaker HOAs in the NW St. Johns County area, there's absolutely a correlation -- the stronger the HOA the stronger the resale market.

In JCP, for your price point, I'd steer toward the neighborhoods of: Eastgate, Westgate, Plantation Cove, the Meadows, Plantation Estates, Magnolia Preserve, Eastwood, Plantation Island, and Deer Run. I'm not aware of any additional restrictions for the gated communities -- it's a good question and I'll try to find out the answer on that.

Let me know if you want to have a conversation; we can take this offline and I can be more specific.
My wife and I are considering JCP as well. We want a larger yard, preferably gated and if possible a pool. We plan on coming down in April to start looking.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:31 PM

466 posts, read 700,289 times
I think the HOA here is fine. I've never owned a home or lived with an HOA before, so while they have guidelines, I don't think they are overly strict.

To give you an idea of fees, JCP charges $380 a year. I live in Plantation Estates which is gated, and next year their fees will be $280 every 3 months.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:29 AM

308 posts, read 267,290 times
Just wanted to add that there is at least one other neighborhood that is part of JCP, but has its own, separate HOA: River Oaks Plantation.

Also, please note the difference between the HOA fees and the CDD fees.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:41 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,788,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs1n View Post
Just wanted to add that there is at least one other neighborhood that is part of JCP, but has its own, separate HOA: River Oaks Plantation.

Also, please note the difference between the HOA fees and the CDD fees.

Does JCP have CDD fees on top of HOA fees? If so how much are CDD fees?

Old 01-05-2016, 08:57 AM

308 posts, read 267,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
Does JCP have CDD fees on top of HOA fees? If so how much are CDD fees?
Yes, and I think it may be dependent on the size of your house. That said, a recent tax summary from the St Johns County Tax Collector shows our JCP CDD was $726.71 (in prior years it was a bit higher).

Edit: sometimes home listings do not show that there is a CDD fee because those fees are assessed along with real estate taxes -- it all depends on your neighborhood. Make sure to ask your realtor.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:14 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,261 times
I haven't had an issue with the HOA and they made the bank do some work to the home next door as it worked its way through the foreclosure process. Same with another down the street.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:22 AM

5 posts, read 9,239 times
The HOA is pretty strict which I believe is a good thing. My neighbors and I have all received notices about something or other and we have all been quick to fix. I do agree that there are fences that could definitely use replacing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville