Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 08:12 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Here is my concern: the sheer volume of people moving into St Johns Co will likely ensure we are no longer tabbed as the best school district in the state. Without that reputation, SJC will just be another suburb in FL and one that has tens of thousands of newer homes in communities that look alike. I dont see this growth and these home price increases as sustainable in the long term. I think the Ponte Vedra Beach homes will retain their value as that area will always be desirable.

We have even explored some Jax Beach homes. It sort of defeats the purpose of us moving here to SJC to suddenly be in Duval, but I just feel like they might hold their value more in the long run.
I tend to agree with people who say that Florida school ratings are more a reflection of area demographics than the quality of the schools/teaching. That's true even in St. Johns County. We have some schools with relatively poor ratings - and they're in lower income areas with relatively large minority populations.

We have friends/acquaintances who live in the JAX Beaches. Ranging from our estate planning lawyer to our home handyman. They sent their kids to public schools - and seem to have been reasonably happy with the educations their kids got at Jacksonville Beach Elementary and Fletcher Middle and High schools. (IIRC - some kids also went to Stanton or Douglas Anderson). These kids are all in college/grown up now. So I don't know what's going on today (except that all 3 schools have "A" ratings).

FWIW - although it has been a long time coming - I think we're finally seeing signs of gentrification in a place like JAX Beach. Proximity to the beach/beach access is a big draw for lots of people.

Overall - no matter where you are in Florida - I think if you move into an area where most people have relatively higher incomes - you're going to have higher rated schools. Especially elementary and middle schools - which tend to have students from smaller geographical areas than high schools.

In terms of home values - it's pretty much a cyclical thing IMO. When the next bust rolls around (and there will be a next bust - there always is) - all property values will go down. The more important thing to me is what happens to particular neighborhoods/areas during a bust. Some parts of Florida were basically annihilated during the last bust:

From boom to bust | The Economist

Ours did a lot better. But it was still disconcerting to see about a dozen houses in our HOA that were abandoned and wound up in derelict condition. A lot of newer neighborhoods in SJC (and elsewhere) haven't been "stress-tested" like this yet. And it is anyone's guess how they might wind up during the next bust. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 10:12 AM

4 posts, read 7,456 times
When we sold our house in Julington Creek we broke even thank goodness . It was a small home and we didn't put any money on to it so I say that's pretty good . It needed upgrading but sold fast . I am not sure I'll get that in new communities . We will have to make sure if we buy in a newer community that we are on it for the long run . We have bounced around so much that this scares me . Thank you for all the advice .

Old 01-07-2016, 02:00 PM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
I think if you're moving to SJC you should probably plan on making it a long-term move because, at best, my guess is you'd be lucky to break even if you stayed in that house.

And is a 3/2 in JCP selling for $320K really going to sell for $375K in 7-10 years? I'd bet not. I think we're at or near the top right now but of course that's just a semi-educated guesstimate.

My timing couldn't be worse with real estate, lol.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:53 AM

5 posts, read 9,236 times
We looked long and hard for 6 years analyzing and over analyzing every neighborhood in SJC. Our budget was 550k so there was a lot to chose from. We ended up in JCP because it truly had the complete package. For us it was the character of the home, the yard, the proximity to things, the walking trails, established schools and sports programs. I have younger children and to be able to drop them off at the JCP child watch has been great and something no other neighborhood offered. I think what we love most about our decision is that we didn't go crazy on a home with expensive fees. We will be able to provide our children with a lot of experiences in life because of that decision.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:18 AM

Curious - what is "JCP child watch?"

Old 01-09-2016, 07:41 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,339,516 times
Quote:
Curious - what is "JCP child watch?"
What JCP child watch is ... Child Watch - Julington Creek Plantation Recreation Center

Old 01-09-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judeK View Post
Very cool! We used to have something similar in Durbin on Friday evenings but they did away with it for whatever reason.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:06 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Very cool! We used to have something similar in Durbin on Friday evenings but they did away with it for whatever reason.
Perhaps insurance reasons in terms of caring for/looking after children?

My husband and I would have made good child "mentors". Big brother/sister kind of stuff. But our homeowners' policy did away with any coverage for allegations of child molesting or similar - no matter how stupid or ill-founded the allegations might be - decades ago. And that was the end of the discussion for us. Too bad. I think it's something we would have enjoyed that might been useful for some kids. Robyn

Old 01-09-2016, 06:01 PM

103 posts, read 139,603 times
We have child watch in our neighborhood free of charge up to 2 hours per visit (I'm sure we're paying for it somewhere in our fees!) It's for 6 mos - 9 years and located at the fitness center. We even happened upon the free Child Fitness class today which my kids happily chose over being babysat. Come to find out my kids can attend a free kiddie bootcamp every Saturday for an hour. Child Watch is staffed by the same company our homeowner's employs for lifeguards, camp, etc. The kid's fitness was run by two personal trainers. A nice discovery, indeed!

Old 01-09-2016, 06:17 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,339,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlover23 View Post
We have child watch in our neighborhood free of charge up to 2 hours per visit (I'm sure we're paying for it somewhere in our fees!) It's for 6 mos - 9 years and located at the fitness center. We even happened upon the free Child Fitness class today which my kids happily chose over being babysat. Come to find out my kids can attend a free kiddie bootcamp every Saturday for an hour. Child Watch is staffed by the same company our homeowner's employs for lifeguards, camp, etc. The kid's fitness was run by two personal trainers. A nice discovery, indeed!
Care to share with other readers what neighborhood you live in, that offers this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville