U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 11:44 AM

16 posts, read 70,577 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me any info on the townhomes in Cambridge at Oakleaf? We are meeting a realtor soon to go see them but I wanted an insider's view to the townhomes there and what it's like to live in Oakleaf in general. Also, what about Oakleaf School??? Any info (both the good and the bad) would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 12:09 PM

1,023 posts, read 3,290,600 times
Moderator cut: edit. Oakleaf has come a long way. Prior to this year, Argyle was a mess...no shopping etc. The Town Center is bubbling over, lots of new convenient stores. Argyle is widened, and the traffic is much better and more tolerable. Thus, Oakleaf is much more desireable than a couple years ago.

Oakleaf itself is very very pretty, and now highly affordable. My husband and I used to live in a single family home in Oakleaf and really loved our neighbors. Our home was pretty, the activities were plentiful, the schools are A rated. They are building another school in there, and there will soon be a dedicated library etc.

There are CDD Fees in there, but for all you get...they are not bad. $100 per month for condos, and $150 per month for homes. The HOA is only 50$ per year...and you pay in December. There is a nice community feel, and loads of activities, team sports etc. for children.

Good luck!

Last edited by riveree; 02-07-2008 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: advertising

Old 02-06-2008, 01:15 PM

859 posts, read 3,562,236 times
Last time I visited that area, the oakleaf town center is building up nicely (Supertarget, kohls, home depot), not St Johns Town Center nice, but seems to the great for that community. It's a drive if you frequently commute to Southside or Downtown. South of Oakleaf on Chafee rd, you'll find super walmart and another home depot with some small shops.

Ask the realtor to take you to their two amenity centers. Looks neat on the website.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:22 AM

60 posts, read 309,923 times
While I can't speak specifically about the townhomes, I can give you some "insider's advice" on Oakleaf in general. We moved to the Pebblecreek subdivision of Oakleaf in June 2006 and everything already said is pretty accurate. We love our proximity to the soccer fields, one of the amenity centers (and its pool), and all of the little parks/playgrounds for the kids. Also, all of the various community events can be fun.

Until a couple of months ago, traffic on Argyle Forest Blvd could get pretty bad at the bottlenecks. Now, with the widening complete, it is a breeze. As for the shopping, dining, convenience options, it's getting there. The afforementioned stores are open. Many more to come, plus a much needed gas station/convenience store, in 2008!

There were some recent issues with the upkeep / maintenance of some of the fitness equipment. But, most of that has been addressed with some new equipment where needed. I think it was just a case of the previous stuff nearing the end of their life cycles and them being a little slow in addressing it.

Where are the Cambridge Townhomes? I ask this because you shouldn't assume that your kids will go to the current Oakleaf School. We made that mistake and, because of the odd way they drew up the bounderies, our kids are bussed to Argyle Elementary. Next year, they will go to the school that is currently under construction (Oakleaf Village Elem)...only a couple of blocks from my house!!! Either way, they'll go to either The Oakleaf School (K-8) or Oakleaf Village Elem (K-5). No more bussing from Oakleaf to Argyle. You can go to the Clay School District's web site to see where you will end up.

A couple of final thoughts...they will also be building a high school. It is scheduled to be open for the 2010 school year. A previous poster mentioned a new library. The land set aside for it is also very close to my house as well. Unfortunately, the last I heard is it is not scheduled until 2012.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmutley View Post
A couple of final thoughts...they will also be building a high school. It is scheduled to be open for the 2010 school year. A previous poster mentioned a new library. The land set aside for it is also very close to my house as well. Unfortunately, the last I heard is it is not scheduled until 2012.
I've been complained to about how that library was never built as it was promised. That piece of land where the day care is at now has been in ruins since builders pulled out or something. It's probably the least attractive part about oakleaf and everybody sees it in the open. Library is the most retarded part because, just up the street there's a Duval public library, but the people of oakleaf(being in clay county) will have to pay to use it.
I know our Duval library is awesome, no idea how clay library works or funded.

So if you're a library person, be prepared to pay to use that duval public library, it is the closest available.

Oh yeah, any good restaurants going in there yet?

Old 02-08-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingfood View Post
I've been complained to about how that library was never built as it was promised. That piece of land where the day care is at now has been in ruins since builders pulled out or something. It's probably the least attractive part about oakleaf and everybody sees it in the open. Library is the most retarded part because, just up the street there's a Duval public library, but the people of oakleaf(being in clay county) will have to pay to use it.
I know our Duval library is awesome, no idea how clay library works or funded.

So if you're a library person, be prepared to pay to use that duval public library, it is the closest available.

Oh yeah, any good restaurants going in there yet?
By day care, do you mean the Goodart School? That is a little further down...but, yeah, I know what you mean.

As for good restaurants, not yet. Chili's has opened as well as a Panda Express (chain chinese rest.) and a Pizza Hut takeout. One place that I am looking forward to is "Up the Creek". Based on their web site, I would call them a chain restaurant trying to be like a Whitey's/Clark's. So, while still a chain, it is one that isn't "everywhere". They are still a while off, though.

Over at the newer Publix center (off of Brannan Field, not Argyle) there is a Thai place that is supposed to be going in. I am praying that they will be good...love me some Thai!!! Oh...almost forgot...we do have a pretty good Sushi place in the Public center on Argyle. The name escapes me right now. But, they are on the right side of the center.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmutley View Post
By day care, do you mean the Goodart School? That is a little further down...but, yeah, I know what you mean.

As for good restaurants, not yet. Chili's has opened as well as a Panda Express (chain chinese rest.) and a Pizza Hut takeout. One place that I am looking forward to is "Up the Creek". Based on their web site, I would call them a chain restaurant trying to be like a Whitey's/Clark's. So, while still a chain, it is one that isn't "everywhere". They are still a while off, though.

Over at the newer Publix center (off of Brannan Field, not Argyle) there is a Thai place that is supposed to be going in. I am praying that they will be good...love me some Thai!!! Oh...almost forgot...we do have a pretty good Sushi place in the Public center on Argyle. The name escapes me right now. But, they are on the right side of the center.
I had that sushi place...disgusted me pretty good, it's like buffet grade, and not even the good buffet.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:46 PM

1,023 posts, read 3,290,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingfood View Post
I had that sushi place...disgusted me pretty good, it's like buffet grade, and not even the good buffet.
We ate there, and actually liked it. I've eaten at creepier for sure. I think the ambiance gives it that feel. Ours was pretty fresh, but that was when it first opened a couple years ago.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:40 AM

First off, let me qualify my previous statement by saying that I am a Sushi "newb". So, I may not exactly know what qualifies as "good" sushi. Having said that, however, I think that I would know not-so-fresh sushi had I eaten it. I've had some pretty rank stuff from Publix that went right back to the store. I've also had some decent stuff from Publix too. But, that may be my "newb" perspective speaking again.

Anyway, my experience of that place (still haven't bothered to remember the name and I have a menu out in my car) has been good. We've eaten in a couple of times and do takeout from there almost every other week. As for LewLew's comment on ambiance...It's in a Publix Shopping Strip...whaddaya expect? It's nothing fancy...it's pretty small...but it is clean and friendly. Absolutely nothing about its appearance gives off a "yick" vibe.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:02 AM

Ah, Fuji Sushi, that what it was called.
Saw it on the plans that they're opening a Japanese steakhouse (another one of the millions in JAX) in the Oakleaf TC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville