Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 07:47 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
One thing that is upsetting to me as a native is the utter lack of a decent seafood restaurant in town. We have touristy places like Joes Crabshack and we have chains like Red Lobster (bleh). But we dont have a local legend like many other coastal cities have. Its a shame really considering our location.
This area isn't the only part of Florida lacking decent local seafood places. For years - our favorite seafood restaurant near my parents' house in south Florida was Legal Seafoods - a higher end chain based in Massachusetts - in Boca Raton (now closed).

FWIW - I find a lot of good fish options on the menus of "regular" restaurants these days. So no need to find a place that "specializes". Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
It's not fancy but what do you guys think of places like Safe Harbor and Singleton's in Mayport? I've been to Safe Harbor 5 or 6 times and the only thing I didn't care for were the scallops (tasted frozen to me) but everything else was pretty good (shrimp and grits, shrimp/fish baskets, soft shell crab po boys etc.)

I also thought the Fish Company in Atlantic Beach was good. Can't beat the all day $6.00/dozen oysters on Tues/Wed and the Happy Hour specials that run from 2pm to 7pm Mon-Sat ($6/dozen oysters or clams). And no, I don't work there.
We went to Singleton's once - a long time ago. Everything was fried - fried - fried. In oil that didn't seem especially fresh (the food had an "off" taste) or hot (the latter makes fried food greasy). Never went back. Have never been to Safe Harbor.

Shrimp and grits or similar is an almost constant in many good restaurants here today. No need to go to a "seafood restaurant" to find it. It's also pretty easy to make at home (with our good local Mayport shrimp).

I don't eat oysters in most places these days. Because I don't know where the heck they're coming from. Our fairly local beds aren't in great shape production wise these days and have had pollution issues in the past.

Dwindling oyster supply threatens Apalachicola's economy (w/video) | Tampa Bay Times

I will eat local oysters in some parts of the world if I know where they're coming from. And the water is cold and not polluted.

BTW - I would be wary of any place that serves soft shell crabs year round. Because they're very seasonal. Our local season here in the SE is pretty much late winter/early spring - but it varies from year to year depending on how warm it is. So - if you're ordering soft shell crabs in November - they are not local and/or they're frozen or maybe they're not soft shell crabs at all (although it's illegal - restaurants sometimes don't describe what they're cooking/serving accurately - I run across this from time to time when ordering fish). OTOH - if you do run across fresh local soft shell crabs (we did one year on a trip to Charleston) - they are delicious. Robyn

Old 01-27-2016, 10:38 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Im not sure what youre tastes are so Ill try to give a range of what we like here in Duval.

Vietnamese - Bowl of Pho - Baymeadows RD

Tex Mex - Don Juans - San Jose

Steakhouse - The Tree Steakhouse - San Jose ...they have been declining over the years but still have an awesome prime rib

Seafood - If youre in Fleming Island check out Whiteys Fish Camp, its a long time local favorite

Palm Valley Fish Camp is ok, it didnt impress me for the price

BBQ Mojos Whiskey Bar in Riverside

Asian Flair - Hawkers - Riverside

I try to avoid big chain restaurants in the Town Center like Moxie. My wife got meatloaf, I got mediocre duck and drinks and an appetizer, paid 120 bucks. For 120 bucks I can run to the fish market and get 6 pounds of lobster with plenty of cash leftover for wine and sides.
I'm curious about The Tree. May have to give it a try...

LOL it's funny that you think Moxie is a chain, since it has that vibe as does all of the Town Center. Moxie and Ovinte are the two non-chain establishments (well there might be others but those are the prominent ones) at SJTC. Moxie is the creation of Tom Gray who was head chef at Bistro Aix for many years (decades?)

Old 01-27-2016, 10:39 AM

294 posts, read 340,685 times
When we have guests in town and they want seafood we take them to Safe Harbor. Never had a complaint yet- but check the hours, they close fairly early and not open on Mondays. They are opening another location in Jax Beach very soon off of Beach near the recently closed Nippers. Can't wait!!!

When colleagues come to town looking for seafood I usually take them to North Beach Fish Camp in Neptune Beach. Not as good as Safe Harbor- not sure if they would know the difference- but it is open later, and it is a way more upscale atmosphere.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
...I try to avoid big chain restaurants in the Town Center like Moxie. My wife got meatloaf, I got mediocre duck and drinks and an appetizer, paid 120 bucks. For 120 bucks I can run to the fish market and get 6 pounds of lobster with plenty of cash leftover for wine and sides.
Moxie isn't a chain restaurant. It's locally owned and operated by a well-respected James Beard award nominated chef who has been around for a very long time - Chef Tom Gray (he was at Bistro Aix before he opened Moxie):

The Evolution of Tom Gray | First Coast Magazine

I am a big fan of supporting our local chefs and restaurants. If we don't - then all we've have left is "big chain restaurants".

I am sorry you had a meal you didn't like. That happens. I suggest you try the place again. What didn't you like about the duck? When I don't like something - I always mention it to the chef or the server (unless I think a place is totally hopeless). Of course - if something isn't cooked properly (underdone or overdone) - I send it back.

If the prices are an issue - note that many of the mains at Moxie are available in 2 sizes (at different prices). My husband and I generally find that apart from being less expensive - the smaller mains are plenty of food for us (the large ones are huge). Especially if we're having a starter and dessert (we tend to split those). Also - Moxie changes it menu on a regular/seasonal basis. We always try the new dishes - but find that we like some dishes better than others. And - after going to the restaurant many many times - we have our favorites on the menu.

BTW - it's certainly easier to cook more cheaply at home than to eat cheaply at restaurants. I can make very good meals at home for less than the price of 2 "basic burgers" and a side of fries at M Shack (although I often splurge on ingredients for home cooking). But it's fun to go out and eat from time to time. Robyn

Old 01-27-2016, 11:01 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,151,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornsch View Post
When we have guests in town and they want seafood we take them to Safe Harbor. Never had a complaint yet- but check the hours, they close fairly early and not open on Mondays. They are opening another location in Jax Beach very soon off of Beach near the recently closed Nippers. Can't wait!!!

When colleagues come to town looking for seafood I usually take them to North Beach Fish Camp in Neptune Beach. Not as good as Safe Harbor- not sure if they would know the difference- but it is open later, and it is a way more upscale atmosphere.
Do you know if Safe Harbor's opening both the seafood market and the restaurant in Jax Beach or just the restaurant?? Can't beat their seafood market prices.

Thanks for the info on North Beach Fish Camp. My wife and I were wondering about that place too. Neptune Beach is closer to us but we'll stick to Safe Harbor.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:47 AM

294 posts, read 340,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
Do you know if Safe Harbor's opening both the seafood market and the restaurant in Jax Beach or just the restaurant?? Can't beat their seafood market prices.

Thanks for the info on North Beach Fish Camp. My wife and I were wondering about that place too. Neptune Beach is closer to us but we'll stick to Safe Harbor.
I believe just a restaurant but not sure. They have a FB page and website- dedicated to the new location.

Last edited by hornsch; 01-27-2016 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: add information

Old 01-27-2016, 12:51 PM

50 posts, read 58,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I'm curious about The Tree. May have to give it a try...
Curiosity killed the cat. Unless you are 70+, I would avoid the Tree. Either go to one of the high end Steak House chains, or save the Tree money for when Cowford Chophouse opens.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmarcomatt View Post
Curiosity killed the cat. Unless you are 70+, I would avoid the Tree. Either go to one of the high end Steak House chains, or save the Tree money for when Cowford Chophouse opens.
What makes you think that an older person would like an old/tired restaurant any better than a younger person? Unless the older person just goes there as a matter of habit. My father is always up to trying new restaurants (we are too). The only ones we avoid are those with very high noise levels (it's hard for him to adjust his hearing aids to tune out the background noise) - and those with tables that are very close together (he has difficulty getting around with his walker).

My husband and I don't eat beef/steak very often. But - when we do - it's hard to beat buying a well-marbled prime rib eye at Costco and grilling it at home. I don't mind spending a lot of money at restaurants - but I prefer restaurant dishes that are difficult/impossible to make at home. Robyn

Old 01-27-2016, 02:19 PM

50 posts, read 58,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
What makes you think that an older person would like an old/tired restaurant any better than a younger person?
Evidently they do in Mandarin

Very unfair of me after only one (and it will be always be only one) visit, but everything about the place was old and tired including the customers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville