U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 11:28 PM

7,393 posts, read 8,104,205 times

Advertisements

Just took a peak at the Strand. Again IF you are working on the southbank where Macquarie is then The Strand is an ideal location. Looks like no 1 bedrooms are available at the moment but some 2 beds are starting at $1425. You could also look for a rental in The Peninsula or San Marco Place, both of which are condo buildings next to the Strand.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 10:04 AM

115 posts, read 66,783 times
Thought I would add my 2 cents here since I am a native tri stater myself (CT). I have many friends and family who live and work in Brooklyn as well. I can tell you it was a major culture shock moving here in many ways. I have made many friends here, and consider myself a local now in many ways. It look a while to get used to all the access to all restaurants and retail stores, many of which are open 24 hours or very late at night. You asked earlier about transport services like in the city and I assure you wont need them here. Every neighborhood has its own set of stores and restaurants within a couple miles that will provide everything you need, and will likely be cheaper than what you are used to. I first moved to a 2 br apartment on Hodges Blvd and it was excellent. 10 minutes from the beach, walmart, target, and every restaurant imaginable just 2 lights down the road. I also lived on gate parkway for a while which was great as well, same scenario there and my apartment was one of the fanciest I had every lived in. Biggest challenge was adjusting to the job market, still feeling the effects today even after 9 years. My degree has done little for me here and many of the companies I have worked for demand much more for way less money in comparison to NY or any of the tristates. I worked for a major retailer here in town when I first arrived, they told me at $12 hr I was one of the highest paid non managers there! Back home the same job paid nearly $3 more an hour and I surely didnt work as hard for it. Seems like you are transferring here with your job in hand already which is the best way in my opinion. You should do very well here, and your money should go a long way. Cars are also extremely abundant here and VERY cheap so you should be able to get one easily.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:34 PM

21 posts, read 24,278 times
Thanks! This is really helpful! I'm torn because I have two offers on the table -- the NYC offer is a base more than 40% over the Jacksonville offer. I've been doing research and understand Jax is cheaper, but is it really that much cheaper? There's also the quality of life issue and I'm pretty tired of the NYC grind. It's a big change, but I like change (much easier when I wasn't so "mature" LOL!). I really like the nice weather and beaches nearby -- and, having the fun things like washer/dryers in your unit (which I did have in my last two NYC apartments but don't have now). Decision has to be made very soon - ugh!

Old 09-27-2017, 07:00 AM

370 posts, read 235,587 times
I sense a lack of maturity & worldliness on OP's part. Based on your last comment, I'd stay in NYC if I was you. It's too different down here and once you discover that, plus the cut in pay you'll take, you will end up disillusioned and mad. It happens all the time: The grass is not always greener down here.

The only people it makes solid financial sense to move to FL are those with 6-7 figure salaries. Stay in NYC, build your career, THEN take another look. 40% is too much of a difference to ignore.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:10 AM

Wow, I didn't expect that. I've lived on both coasts and abroad for several years so have a bit of experience in relocating. It's true that grass isn't always greener anywhere, but trying to make comparisons in good faith to decide what is best for me, especially as I think about where I want to be longer term as I'm not twenty five anymore. But, all comments are always welcome.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:16 AM

5,953 posts, read 4,279,371 times
According to this site, NYC is almost twice as costly to live in as Jacksonville is:

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

This is mostly due to housing so take that into consideration. I am not sure if state income taxes are figured into this as well (FL has none) so I think the 40% pay hike really is a wash when it's all said and done.

In the end, making a life decision based on money alone is probably not a great idea.

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 04:24 AM..

Old 09-27-2017, 08:55 AM

115 posts, read 66,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkflorida View Post
Thanks! This is really helpful! I'm torn because I have two offers on the table -- the NYC offer is a base more than 40% over the Jacksonville offer. I've been doing research and understand Jax is cheaper, but is it really that much cheaper? There's also the quality of life issue and I'm pretty tired of the NYC grind. It's a big change, but I like change (much easier when I wasn't so "mature" LOL!). I really like the nice weather and beaches nearby -- and, having the fun things like washer/dryers in your unit (which I did have in my last two NYC apartments but don't have now). Decision has to be made very soon - ugh!
Cheaper is somewhat subjective in my opinion. People I know here who have successful businesses or mid to upper level jobs are making a killing in Jacksonville. Your NYC offer is high because you NEED it there. Top salaries in Jax dont even come close to the average salaries in NYC. The overall sales tax is just about the same but the cost of most items is at least a couple bux less. You also have access to resources much easier which in turn makes things cheaper. For example, cars here are very cheap as we have a steady flow of vehicles that make there way here via orlando and miami which are 2 major hub cities. In the near future we will also have a flourishing amazon prime/same day delivery system here which is also a great resource. Housing is cheaper just due to the high amount of new property that pops up here on a regular basis. Apartments compete with pricing which is usually an advantage for those looking for a place to live. Housing market is somewhat the same. Those who struggle here are the ones who havent cracked into the upper level salaries yet as there is no safety net for those trying to live with a lower middle class salary. Still, many of those people I meet are very positive and happy for what they have so go figure. Your doing the right things to make sure you choose wisely so kudos to you there.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:00 PM

It's finally happening - I'm going to Jax to look for places in mid-December for a mid-January move. I've received so much great information from all - thank you! A colleague from Jax was in NY and suggested that I check out the beaches. She's in St. Augustine and said she and her family really like the area -- good restaurants, walkability, biking, very dog friendly (she as two dogs), etc. She's also a transplant and said that although it's a longer commute, the area is nice and friendly. She said the southside is fine too, but harder to meet people and good for peeps that like shopping centers. Any pro/cons on beaches? Suggested apartment rentals? Always appreciate any and all advice!

Old 12-01-2017, 11:26 PM

7,393 posts, read 8,104,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Your third option is to go with the beaches. If you're gonna have a car anyway, the beaches neighborhoods are a good wild-card to consider. Many are reasonably walkable, and the commute would be no worse than the one coming from the urban core.
Oh and re: TJs. Yes there is one at the beaches.
Beaches are an excellent option like I said from the (almost) beginning. I wouldnt do St Augustine beach like your colleague - that's quite a killer commute - but from anywhere between northern Ponte Vedra Beach, through Jax Beach, Neptune and southern Atlantic beach, the commute isnt bad...with the caveat that traffic can be pretty hellish where DB is located and likely to only get much worse...but nothing you can really do to avoid that besides living at the office...

Rents for nice units are a bit higher than the rest of the region, that would be the only downside. For you I would suggest something near the Beaches Town Center. But I am not well versed in rental complexes at the beach so I don't have recs.

Congrats and good luck!

Old 12-03-2017, 10:23 AM

Thanks projectmaximus! Your advice has been (and continue to be) spot on. My colleague did tell me she has a killer commute from St. Augustine and, because of that, recommended the beaches area. Our commute is to downtown, so a bit further, but it looks like from the beaches it should be about 30 minutes (hopefully I just bypass the DB area). As for cars, is Jax hybrid friendly (charging stations, etc.)?

Yes, the rents are a bit higher, but the trade off for walkability, restaurant, etc. seem worth it. That said, is traffic going to be crazy in season?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville