U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 08:15 PM

7,437 posts, read 8,179,967 times

Advertisements

Oh really? I had no idea DB has offices in downtown...that's interesting.

Traffic around the Town Center probably won't affect you then, but actually id you're on standard office hours you do have to worry about rush hour traffic in/out of downtown. For Jax, Neptune and Atlantic Beaches you'd commute down Atlantic or Beach Blvd which is somewhere between 30-45 minutes depending on traffic. Southern Jax Beach and Ponte Vedra Beach you'd go down JTB which could potentially have some slowdowns but now that the JTB-95 interchange has been upgraded I believe it's mostly alleviated. It's the same thing though, depending on where and when exactly you'll be looking at 30-45 minutes usually.

Well I am a Leaf owner so I can tell ya that there aren't a ton of charging stations but there are a few useful ones sprinkled throughout the metro. 90% of the time we relied on charging up at home overnight, which is ideal. If you're in an apt that's no good. Funny enough, there are several charging stations at the DB campus...I used em on a few dire occasions lol.

There's really no "in season" for Jax beaches. It's a nice area, certainly, but doesn't draw snowbirds on the level of any of the other major FL cities or beach towns (Jax can get below freezing for a few weeks each year) and we don't have the anywhere near the same tourist numbers either. If you don't like driving around the beach you can always bike (lots of people in beach cruisers) take cheap taxis/ubers, those golf car taxis, or the trolley bus.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 07:05 PM

21 posts, read 24,584 times
I was speaking with DB ages ago -- not going with them; hence, the downtown location. I'm in Jax next week to look at places -- will look at the beaches as well as the southside, but really leaning towards the beaches. 30-45 minutes in a car is a luxury compared to 45-60 minutes standing on a packed subway!

It's a bummer about the charging stations. But, I guess I could try getting a job at DB for the charging stations LOL!

Our company recommended relocation person will show me a few places when I'm there -- spoke with her today and she's really pushing for the southside. She also said they work with some apartment complexes, but it's limited. Basically, they don't show the ones where they're not making a commission. I totally understand not wanting to work for free, but it also limits what they show me (and they only work with one complex in the beaches). I have a feeling I'll be driving around a looking on my own.

It's good to hear about no "in-season" as in some places in Florida it so crazy you don't even want to go to the beach. I like the idea of biking, golf car taxis, trolley buses, etc. Another interesting thing I learned is that renters pay all utilities (electric, heat, gas, trash, water, etc.). How much is that? I currently pay cable/internet ($130/mo) and electric/gas ($100/mo or so). I don't pay for water, trash or heat as it's included in the rent for most buildings.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:34 PM

19 posts, read 25,669 times
Hi, I also moved from NYC, and I also have a dog ( and cat). I don’t know if anyone you are talking to is letting you know the difficulty of finding rentals willing to take dogs, though with a smaller dog it is easier. Since your job is downtown, have you considered Yulee in Nassau County. It’s about a half hour northeast of downtown. You will need a car but it has everything you would need, its basically a hugh outdoor mall on A1A. There are a few apartment complexes that will allow small dogs. I know the Reserves at Amelia allow small dogs, 1 bdr around 1k month, pool, laundry in unit, garage. And you are about 15 min from the beaches on Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island. Unlike NY the beaches and parking are all free. Gas is cheaper but everything else is about the same, like clothes and food. Car ins a few hundred less. Utilities, if you have to pay them, are more expensive. Water especially is like gold around here. Try Zillow. Look up your job address then see the areas you are considering. You can draw a circle around the area you want to focus on and choose rentals only, pets allowed. That should show you what’s out there and provide contact info for the apartment complexes. Good luck with your move!

Old 12-09-2017, 06:01 AM

Well don't know where you are working but if it happens to be FNF or FIS they have free charging stations on their campus as well lol. There are a handful of stations at parking garages and other spots sprinkled around downtown, but those are mostly not free and likely not as convenient, unless your employer assigns you parking in those garages.

Utilities vary by quality of insulation, and obviously how much you use them. Heat down here is run through the AC so it would be part of electricity. When I was in a 1000 sq ft condo where my water was included as well I was paying about $50-$80 per month. Water/Sewer might be around $25 for one person. I'm not sure how much your apt would charge you for trash pickup...I'm surprised that's not part of the rent...

Old 02-23-2018, 06:48 PM

Update -- We're here! It was a busy, but relatively smooth move. Movers came in NY on Thursday, we flew to Jax on Friday, movers arrived Saturday morning (8 AM!) and cable/internet was installed that afternoon. Picked up a rental car Friday for the first week, got my FL license Monday morning, looked at cars the same day, met a new dog walker Tuesday and went to work on Wednesday

We ended up going with an apartment in the Southside. Great location, new place - neighbors are great except for the ones above me. Is it normal for places in Jax to have little/no soundproofing? There's a family above me with a kid that thrashes around (literally) fifteen hours a day. My ceiling shakes. My really nice neighbors below me told me that they could hear thumping well before we moved in (and that two stories up). I had wanted to slip a note under their door with my contact info, so it was good we had a chance to chat in person. I told them to text or call me if there were any issues -- good neighbors are everything

I'm loving the commute to work -- 15-18 minutes door to door (even in traffic). Traffic is no problem as it sure beats being stuck on subway for 45 minutes with 300 of your new BFFs (not all freshly showered). I've been to both Trader Joe's (very nice, clean, no lines - loving it!), Ikea (ugh!), various Walmarts and Publix(s)(sp?). I went to a Winn-Dixie and really liked it (more so than Publix). As you can guess, a lot of settling in shopping.

We're still settling in, but so far, so good! It is a huge change, but except for the thumping neighbors, it's been nice. Having to drive to everything is new, but not bad, just different. In the end, it really was a quality of life issue -- it's not all about the money. Even better, we're loving the dog friendliness

The few things left are to find a doc and a dentist, so any referrals are appreciated!

Thanks all for your continued advice!

P.S. We were so sorry to hear of Robin's passing. She was so helpful and nice and we're hoping to meet her one day.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:53 AM

Welcome!! Hope the transition works out for you!

Yeah new construction is usually cheap and little soundproofing. If you go to the Winn-Dixie on Baymeadows near 295, then yes that's the standard for the Winn-Dixie redesigns. It was the proof of concept store before they began rolling out the redesigns elsewhere (including my local WD here in Miami)

I went to Dr. Trantham (for dentist) and would recommend them. But I'm sure there are plenty of good dentists around.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:01 PM

96 posts, read 95,236 times
There are apts going up right across from the Town Center. Check these for sure.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:26 PM

Thanks! The WD is in Baymeadows -- still finding my way around. Love Waze! I just plug in where I need to go and it gives great directions. Would love to hear about apartment complexes, reviews, etc.! Our location is great and neighbors are really nice, it's just the crazies above me. We're used to noise in NYC, but this is crazy. And, as an aside, most peeps in NY know how to be nice and respectful of their neighbors. I've gone back and forth with management here, and realized quickly they're only interested in filling the apartments and could care less once you sign a lease. At least we're not locked in long term. But a ceiling mounted speaker with subwoofers should do wonders. My dog has been interested in tribal drumming for some time -")

Thanks again for all the help and responses -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville