U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 03:16 PM

21 posts, read 24,319 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm looking to relocate to Jacksonville for work. I've read some posts, but many are a few years old (unless I missed more recent posts). I would appreciate any and all advice!

For background, I'm a 40 something single professional with no kids (just a dog). I don't have a car, but it sounds as if I'll need one.

I'm thinking of a one-two bedroom apartment/condo/townhouse. Where are the good neighborhoods? I would prefer a diverse neighborhood that's walkable (parks/green space, grocery stores, restaurants, etc.). And, how are the prices? Would love a washer/dryer in unit (very rare in NYC!). A pool or access to one would be fantastic as well.

How is transportation? Can you take public transportation to/from work? (I'm used to taking public transportation and walking quite a bit.)

Are there delivery services/choices (seamless, fresh direct, etc.)? I'm a bit spoiled in NY as we can pretty much have anything delivered at almost any time of day or night. But, I'm really talking restaurant and grocery type deliveries. Anything else I can get on Amazon

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 06:56 PM

375 posts, read 359,490 times
Couple of questions to help narrow it down.

Where is work? If we know that location it will help in determining the best part of town.

Also, budget for housing.

The neighborhood you describe sounds like you would be better off in the Urban Core, Downtown, San Marco specifically. Again, budget will be helpful.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:13 PM

7,397 posts, read 8,117,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkflorida View Post
I'm thinking of a one-two bedroom apartment/condo/townhouse. Where are the good neighborhoods? I would prefer a diverse neighborhood that's walkable (parks/green space, grocery stores, restaurants, etc.). And, how are the prices? Would love a washer/dryer in unit (very rare in NYC!). A pool or access to one would be fantastic as well.

How is transportation? Can you take public transportation to/from work? (I'm used to taking public transportation and walking quite a bit.)

Are there delivery services/choices (seamless, fresh direct, etc.)? I'm a bit spoiled in NY as we can pretty much have anything delivered at almost any time of day or night. But, I'm really talking restaurant and grocery type deliveries. Anything else I can get on Amazon

Thanks!
Welcome! Almost certainly you will want to be in Riverside or Brooklyn (two adjacent neighborhoods to downtown). This would give you the least adjustment from NYC, though you still will be in for huge culture shock. I'm not totally up on prices but for a apt/condo complex you're looking at near the highest prices for the Jax area, starting in the $1250 range for a one bedroom.

Transit is poor but if you work downtown you can ride the trolley bus reasonably conveniently to/from DT. If you work in Brooklyn (about 10,000 office workers there) then you could certainly live there and walk to work.

There are a few other options that might be of interest but I would absolutely start with those two neighborhoods (and 95% likely your search will end there)

We have a few food delivery options but I have no experience with them: Grubhub and doorstep delivery...maybe others. Publix (probably the most popular grocery chain in the south) I believe has launched a delivery service in the area. If you live in Riverside chances are you will be walking distance to Publix and a tiny organic grocer called Grassroots. If you live in Brooklyn you will be walking distance to Fresh Market.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:59 PM

I'm in talks with Deutsche Bank. The address is 5022 Gate Parkway.

I'm really looking forward to a warmer climate! I prefer a mixed/diverse community and being able to walk to parks, shopping, etc. I'd like to find something for less than $1000/mo., but would pay a bit more if I really liked the place/area. From the research I've done, it sounds like Riverside, Avondale and San Marco are recommended. I don't need to be in the "trendiest" area, but also don't want to be too suburban - trying to find a happy medium! I would also like to hear about up and coming areas. I appreciate advice from all you who live there.

I love Grubhub! I haven't heard of doorstep delivery, but will check it out. Also love Publix - you may be surprised at how excited New Yorkers are to see large grocery stores (with wide aisles) where you can get everything you need. That's a luxury for us LOL! It might be a stretch, but do you have a Trader Joe's (or equivalent)? We have them but they're always packed - at least the lines move rather quickly.

Thanks!

Old 02-06-2016, 09:46 PM

Ah well congrats! The bad news is that DB is located in the Southside near the St Johns Town Center (SJTC) which puts you far from the urban core neighborhoods that have been recommended to you.

So this leaves you with a choice...you will absolutely need to get a car. although it's possible to find housing within a mile of your workplace...and iirc you might even have sidewalks along the entire route...you honestly would be the only person walking to/from work. Cycling could be a decent option. But most likely you will succumb and get a vehicle. So your choice would then be to stick to living in your ideal neighborhood (I still say Riverside or Brooklyn) which would leave you with an approx 30 minute, semi-congested commute, or live in a "walkable" area within 5 minutes of DB. I put walkable in quotes cause there really aren't any traditional, walkable neighborhoods in this area. But there are condos/apts with a plethora of retail amenities at the doorstep. SJTC has a couple luxury apartment complexes (again ~$1250 for 1bed) that put you more or less in the middle of the retail mecca. Tapestry Park is a more traditional looking mixed-use development but it's only really one block long. The positive though is if you're willing to walk across a gigantic surface parking lot youre really an easy 5 min walk from Tinseltown a megaplex with another 60 or 70 retail options surrounding it. Deerwood Lake is the final "walkable" option...once again really just a traditional suburban buildout that happens to be denser than most and offers housing options mixed with retail. The big bonus here is it includes a Publix so you've got grocery at your doorstep. Besides these options, there are a plethora of suburban, gated apt/condo communities offering tons of amenities and all within a couple miles of DB. But only the ones I mentioned would be quasi-walkable to stores/entertainment.

Your third option is to go with the beaches. If you're gonna have a car anyway, the beaches neighborhoods are a good wild-card to consider. Many are reasonably walkable, and the commute would be no worse than the one coming from the urban core.

Just a few more thoughts on the other neighborhoods you mentioned: Avondale and San Marco. These are both great (I live in San Marco and love it) but what's missing in both is a grocery store you can walk to. San Marco has plans to build a Publix but it keeps getting postponed and I would not expect it to be open in the next 3 years. Also, Riverside just simply offers more amenities than San Marco or Avondale. Far more retail, restaurants, professional offices, etc. Avondale is primarily residential. San Marco is somewhere in between.

Oh and re: TJs. Yes there is one at the beaches at the moment. More to come. We have a bunch of similar stores, including Freshfields Farm which copies TJs in small selection, great quality, low prices, and compact space requiring you to wait in line and get called to a cash register...exactly like the TJs in Manhattan!

Old 02-06-2016, 09:50 PM

Oh and one more thought: you can definitely get housing in Riverside for under $1k, but you'll be part of a duplex or triplex, or a unit over the garage. That type of thing. The complexes with amenities will be over $1k.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:07 PM

85 posts, read 177,691 times
When we first moved to Jacksonville from NYC we rented in the Riverside area. It was still a bit of culture shock for me, but it's a great part of town. (We've since moved to St. John's county...for the schools...like so many others with kids...but that's not an issue for you...so stay closer to wear the action is.) Brooklyn is somewhat newly gentrified, but what's been built there in the past few years looks interesting (plus, what could be better than moving to Florida and ending up in "Brooklyn"?)

If you're working for Deutsche Bank, the area around Town Center would be more convenient for you. While not as "urban" as Riverside or Brooklyn it is probably Jacksonville's shopping/entertainment Mecca (okay it's really just a big outdoor mall). Plenty of new apartment complexes. You know the cost of living here will be much less than New York. But public transportation in this part of town is pretty much nonexistent. Jacksonville as a whole is just so spread out, it really is a very car-centric city.

We do have a Trader Joe's (at last! hallelujah!) which opened just over a year ago at the beach (not far from Town Center, provided there is light traffic on JTB)...and as you already know, Publix is a huge step up from Gristides or D'Ag's. There is a Whole Foods in Jax as well. A couple of Aldi supermarkets have opened recently as well.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:26 PM

Thanks! This is really helpful. I have no problem in a duplex or triplex as I'm used to apartment living in NYC. My favorite place was in a brownstone with five units -- wonderful neighbors and landlord -

More questions! Between Riverside and the Beaches, which area generally comes with more amenities (i.e., parking, pool, etc.)? It's a given that I"ll have to get a car, so I will have to look for a place with parking. And, which will be an easier/better commute? Not sure which would be considered a reverse commute. I like the idea of being near the beach but I'm sure it comes at a cost (more expensive rent, longer commutes, etc.) - at least that's how it is in NY. Living near a beach is less expensive than the city, but the commute will be minimum an hour each way. Lastly (for now), what is the best way to find a place -- Craig's List, real estate broker, etc.? NY is so different when it comes to looking for places and so much more expensive to move (first, last, security and, most likely, a broker's fee) -- can't wait to get out!

Also, I've heard of freshfields - one of our analysts launched coverage on them. Thanks for reminding me of them -

Old 02-07-2016, 12:06 AM

ilfaith,

Thanks for your response -- it's nice to hear from a New Yorker on the differences!

Yes, schools are not an issue for me, thankfully. That's so funny about "Brooklyn", it makes me want to move there just for the name - I know the cost of living is much less than NY, but is it really that good (taxes, etc.)? I'm sure you know that we get screwed in NYC on Federal, State and City taxes - ugh! Besides the weather, the tax situation is a huge incentive to move.

I hear you loud and clear on Trader Joe's - the ones in the city are ALWAYS crowded with narrow aisles, but I guess we're used to that. When I was waiting in line before the blizzard, I was really questioning what the heck I'm doing in NY as my friends in other areas do not live this way. The first time I visited a Publix in Florida (several years ago), I was like a kid in a candy store. OMG! Where can you get everything from groceries, sunscreen and wine in one place? And, without bumping mini shopping carts into others constantly? A HUGE step up from Gristides and D'Ags. It's also good to hear they have a Whole Foods as well -- I do selective shopping there as we all know the joke of "whole paycheck." Happy to hear about Freshfields and I'm sure fresh produce is in abundance and much cheaper than NYC.

I am concerned about diversity, being able to walk my dog at all hours and interesting things to do. I feel totally safe in NYC since there are always peeps around and stores open 24/7. Strangely enough of what people think of New Yorkers, I've always lived in neighborhood friendly places where you know each other and stop and talk to each other. And, I don't want to become that person who drives five blocks to the gym.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:49 AM

294 posts, read 287,837 times
Beach is best. Drive around to look for places as they get rented within days. Native Sun is best grocery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville