Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 05:50 PM

454 posts, read 691,866 times

Advertisements

I didn't really look at other neighborhoods as I rented in Plantation Estates for a year while my house was being built. The draw for this neighborhood was the location on Race Track, being in a gated community, and being able to build the size of house that we did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 06:06 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,379,006 times
This is the CDD website you might have been thinking of:

Florida Community Development Districts

I have no idea how accurate it is. But spending $25 or so to find out potentially useful things about a large investment seems reasonable IMO. Robyn

Old 03-03-2016, 10:11 AM

134 posts, read 188,640 times
We are very disappointed with out new ICI house. Very poor finish quality, windows not straight, and 2 months later, still trying to get the punch items finished. Very big mistake

Old 03-03-2016, 10:13 PM

43 posts, read 58,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
This is the CDD website you might have been thinking of:

Florida Community Development Districts

I have no idea how accurate it is. But spending $25 or so to find out potentially useful things about a large investment seems reasonable IMO. Robyn
This is it! Thank you! And to everyone else who has replied to this thread, I appreciate the input. It turns out the house I wanted to offer on (ICI) is now listed as active/contingent so it's back to square one of trying to find a place. Architecturally the home had everything I wanted size, location, extra features like a large yard, outdoor kitchen, wood burning fireplace, etc, but after doing some research about ICI it sounds like I averted a major headache. I can see using them if I could monitor construction as it's being built but for resale purposes...best to look elsewhere. Thanks again!

PS: Home was at 1928 Starboard Way 32259 if anyone knows of anything comparable on the market?

1928 Starboard Way, Jacksonville, FL 32259 | MLS #801031 | Zillow

Old 03-03-2016, 10:20 PM

454 posts, read 691,866 times
There were some finish issues with our house as well. However, ICI was very responsive on fixing our punch items both at closing and before the one year warranty was up.

We were lucky in that ICI hired an employee specifically who deals with warranty issues in the neighborhood. Once he was hired, the responsiveness of house issues increased quite a bit.

We also had an issue where one of our smoke alarms went haywire long after our home warranty was over and was constantly alarming, of course on the 20' ceiling. I called ICI and they had an electrician out to my house within two hours to fix it.

ICI has different people associated with different neighborhoods, but my experiences with the people associated with Plantation Estates has been positive.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMH View Post
There were some finish issues with our house as well. However, ICI was very responsive on fixing our punch items both at closing and before the one year warranty was up.

We were lucky in that ICI hired an employee specifically who deals with warranty issues in the neighborhood. Once he was hired, the responsiveness of house issues increased quite a bit.

We also had an issue where one of our smoke alarms went haywire long after our home warranty was over and was constantly alarming, of course on the 20' ceiling. I called ICI and they had an electrician out to my house within two hours to fix it.

ICI has different people associated with different neighborhoods, but my experiences with the people associated with Plantation Estates has been positive.
Again - the implied warranty you have under Florida law for a new house is a lot longer than the 1 year in the standard builder's express warranty. Robyn

Old 03-06-2016, 11:14 AM

134 posts, read 188,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Again - the implied warranty you have under Florida law for a new house is a lot longer than the 1 year in the standard builder's express warranty. Robyn
That doesn't mean you won't have to chase them to get anything done or that it will be done right. Unless the punch list is completed prior to closing, prepare to wait many months with ICI Homes to get things fixed. Very aggravated with this company. Substandard workmanship, cheap materials, and molasses slow service getting things fixed correctly. The paint and drywall is particularly bad. Some of the fixtures look like they were bought in a dollar store.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangolufsen View Post
That doesn't mean you won't have to chase them to get anything done or that it will be done right. Unless the punch list is completed prior to closing, prepare to wait many months with ICI Homes to get things fixed. Very aggravated with this company. Substandard workmanship, cheap materials, and molasses slow service getting things fixed correctly. The paint and drywall is particularly bad. Some of the fixtures look like they were bought in a dollar store.
The first sentence is true a lot of the time - when it comes to most builders. Note that we do have small claims court in Florida - and it is very user friendly for people who don't have have lawyers. But the maximum jurisdictional amount is $5000. Navigating your way around the Circuit Court (claims over $5k) without a lawyer can be more difficult.

Also - it's entirely possible that your contract has an arbitration clause. Which means you can't go to court - and have to go through arbitration. Big corporations tend to think that arbitration favors them - but I have found that not to be true a lot of the time.

Whatever problems you have - and whatever you wind up doing - remember to document things along the way (with a written history and pictures). Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville