Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 04:04 PM

19 posts, read 15,521 times

Advertisements

Again I would be working near Everbank field downtown. Suburban is probably better with young kids, but we don't really have a preference. And how much more can auto insurance rates really be? I know they are dirt cheap here in Idaho, (we pay about $100/month for full coverage on a 2005 Saturn Ion and 1999 Subaru legacy,) but could that expense alone really break the bank?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 08:20 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,553,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internallydeluded View Post
Again I would be working near Everbank field downtown. Suburban is probably better with young kids, but we don't really have a preference. And how much more can auto insurance rates really be? I know they are dirt cheap here in Idaho, (we pay about $100/month for full coverage on a 2005 Saturn Ion and 1999 Subaru legacy,) but could that expense alone really break the bank?

It would depend on your driving record as well as factoring in population of area, rate of accidents, car thefts etc. Insurance companies have formulas and actuaries.

Florida requires $10000 Personal Injury Protection( also knows as No-Fault) which pays for injuries in car accidents. Your PIP covers your injuries even if you are riding in your friends car, or if you are a pedestrian hit by a car. That is why Florida Car insurance is more expensive than other states

Call you insurance company and get a quote if they write auto policies in FL. You can go online and get quotes as well to get an idea of how much.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:29 AM

9,273 posts, read 8,174,607 times
For us it was a huge difference coming from Colorado....I think we ended up paying 40% more in premiums vs. CO. Another huge up front expense was registering our vehicles here in FL and the drivers licenses. I think it was almost $1,000 for two older SUVs and two drivers licenses.

Moving is expensive, we're here for a looooooong time now.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:38 AM

8,882 posts, read 20,254,083 times
Yes, it is expensive here, but we are going back to Colorado. We miss the Rocky's and seeing big Bull Elk! Heck, we still have our winter parka's from when we lived there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
For us it was a huge difference coming from Colorado....I think we ended up paying 40% more in premiums vs. CO. Another huge up front expense was registering our vehicles here in FL and the drivers licenses. I think it was almost $1,000 for two older SUVs and two drivers licenses.

Moving is expensive, we're here for a looooooong time now.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:20 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,124,179 times
Quote:
Another huge up front expense was registering our vehicles here in FL and the drivers licenses. I think it was almost $1,000 for two older SUVs and two drivers licenses.
Tell me about it. We moved here in 9/2015 (bought our home in 11/2015) and have only registered 1 of our 2 cars just so we can file for the $50k homestead exemption. NJ registration on the other car expires in August 2016 so we're milking that one (knock on wood I don't get pulled over - again...)

NJ vs FL comparison:

Homeowner's insurance: $700/yr in NJ vs $2400 in PVB, Florida (includes $513 FEMA flood)
Auto Insurance: $1,500/per yr in NJ for 2 cars vs $1950 in Florida (Max $500k liability/under-insured uninsured coverage for both cars)
Property tax: $12,500 in NJ for a 4BR 2000 sqft home vs ~$4800 in FL for a 5BR 2800 sqft home.
Preschool for toddler: $1,500/month full day vs $920 in FL for full day (we have our son enrolled in a half day program $560 per month)
Termite/Pest Control: $600/yr in NJ vs ~$1100-$1200 in FL (includes termite bond annual renewal)

We've realized some serious savings in property taxes, daycare and home purchase price. We put down approx. 60% on our home here so our mortgage is minimal. Groceries are about the same.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:46 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,124,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Yes, it is expensive here, but we are going back to Colorado. We miss the Rocky's and seeing big Bull Elk! Heck, we still have our winter parka's from when we lived there.
If you don't mind me asking, what would you say is your main motivation to move back to Colorado (sorry, you may have addressed this in another thread but I don't recall)? What irked you the most about the Jacksonville area?

Old 03-01-2016, 06:53 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,213,051 times
Quote:
Jacksonville is not known for their schools either so that is likely either a lateral move or, more likely, a step down. Have you considered what it will cost to pack up and move across the country? For us it was around $10 to $12k all in so there goes your raise in year one.

But for me it always comes back to this - you only live once and personally I'd rather make the move and roll the dice vs sitting idle and wondering "what if?"

C'mon now...Jacksonville has some of the top schools in the State if you know where to look. Jax Beach Elementary, Kirby Smith Middle School, James Weldon Johnson, Paxon, LaVilla......you have to have parental involvement, which all these schools have extensive amounts of. Most of these are ranked higher than any of the schools in St. Johns County, which are now on the decline anyway due to overcrowding.

SS

Old 03-02-2016, 06:38 AM

9,273 posts, read 8,174,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
C'mon now...Jacksonville has some of the top schools in the State if you know where to look. Jax Beach Elementary, Kirby Smith Middle School, James Weldon Johnson, Paxon, LaVilla......you have to have parental involvement, which all these schools have extensive amounts of. Most of these are ranked higher than any of the schools in St. Johns County, which are now on the decline anyway due to overcrowding.
St Johns schools are on the decline? Can you provide evidence?

Old 03-15-2016, 04:15 PM

19 posts, read 15,521 times
Alright, looks like this is becoming more of a reality. Probably won't be moving until late June, but I'd like to start getting ideas of areas/neighborhoods to start looking for rentals. Again family-friendly good schools and safety are a top priority, but I'd also like to keep my commute to downtown under 30 minutes. It's hard to tell from craigslist ads what is actually worthwhile considering all these factors.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:25 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,826,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Fla wears off after a few yrs. I remember when you moved to FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville