Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 04:11 PM

5 posts, read 13,163 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move from Atlanta to the coast of Florida and have found a lot of job opportunities in JAX and Tampa. Problem is that I know nothing about either place. Hope some of you can give some insight. Important to keep in mind that I LOVE the beach and waves. Seems like the Atlantic side has better waves. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 05:41 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Beaches in the Tampa region are much nicer, but yeah if you want waves then the Atlantic side wins that battle. Not sure what else you want to know. Living in Jax beach is probably one of the cheapest beaches to live in with pretty good amenities.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:00 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,245,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Beaches in the Tampa region are much nicer, but yeah if you want waves then the Atlantic side wins that battle. Not sure what else you want to know. Living in Jax beach is probably one of the cheapest beaches to live in with pretty good amenities.

Hey Preston...FYI, I love Atlanta.....look into Neptune or Atlantic beach, which are both considered part of the "Jacksonville" beaches.....it's a little more peaceful than Jax Beach itself, especially during concerts and events....and you can still walk or ride your bike to the action whenever you want. Just my 2 cents.

SS

Old 02-23-2016, 08:37 AM

681 posts, read 1,045,393 times
both are beautiful though I believe clearwater is more touristy than Jax beaches. Other than that when it comes to the beaches themselves, I've only been to both a handful of times, and that was a few years ago. As far as livable cities, I'd say jax has the edge.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:16 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times
The biomes are two completely different things. Tampa is on the bay which has very different conditions than Jax which is on the atlantic and subject to the Gulfstream. E.G. Tampa usually has more clear water than the East Coast, hence the name of the town Clearwater next door to Tampa.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:04 AM

306 posts, read 328,107 times
Personally I've never been a big fan of the gulf, other than it having the beautiful white sand and blue water growing up on the Atlantic and surfing as a kid, always love the wave action! To me the gulf is like sitting by a giant swimming pool lol. As mentioned above Atlantic Beach and Neptune Beach area definitely really nice and you can walk to the bars/restaurants in the Neptune beach area or even bike down to the wilder places in jax beach. Funny as I'm currently in Atlanta thinking about a move back there. I've got family there and have been contemplating there or possibly further south Florida for warmer weather all year around. What line of business are ya in?

Old 02-23-2016, 04:59 PM

375 posts, read 444,417 times
While Jacksonville Beaches has a night life, I am sure Tampa has it over Jax hands down.

As mentioned above, Jax has the music and bars, Neptune and Atlantic has the home life.

From the North end of Atlantic Beach, south through Neptune to the South end of Jacksonville is on a bit over 7 miles. So nothing is to far away.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:34 PM

67 posts, read 108,047 times
As mentioned above, Tampa doesn't have any beaches on the ocean. The Tampa pennisula is surrounded by the Tampa and Hillsborough Bays.

The gulf beaches are located west of Tampa at Clearwater and St. Pete. Gulf waters are calm, deep blue color and can be very shallow. While Jax Beach water gets deep and has waves etc. Check out my picture of Jax Beach in the photo section.

I wouldn't say one is better than the other but they are different. As I've lived in Tampa & Jax I like them both for different reasons.

Last edited by sidewinder103; 02-23-2016 at 08:42 PM..

Old 02-24-2016, 06:31 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,861 times
JAX is great. I'm sitting here watching the waves roll in, there's an occasional shrimp boat or colorful container ship dotting the horizon, joggers, walkers, surfers, those air gliding things... They're all part of the seascape in a given day. We were in Tampa last year. Flat green water. No energy.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:52 PM

5 posts, read 13,163 times
Default Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
JAX is great. I'm sitting here watching the waves roll in, there's an occasional shrimp boat or colorful container ship dotting the horizon, joggers, walkers, surfers, those air gliding things... They're all part of the seascape in a given day. We were in Tampa last year. Flat green water. No energy.

That description says it all. I took a quick trip just to drive around both cities last week and I got the same impression. LOTS of traffic in Tampa too! One of the things I'm trying to escape from in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville