Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 05:17 AM

7 posts, read 6,416 times

Advertisements

We are planning on relocating to the St Augustine area and want to be as close to the beach as possible. We have visited the area several times and have looking at most beachfront communities.

Curious is anyone has any thoughts on the Biera Mar area.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 06:55 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,078 times
Bierra Mar is located in Crescent Beach a quieter more sophisticated area but quite a distance from downtown St Augustine.
You may want to check on the area for shops etc as there are not many nearby.
Flood insurance is expensive down there as there is water both sides

Old 03-01-2016, 07:02 AM

Peter thanks for the info.

We have visited the Anastasia Island area several times. Biera Mar seems to be an older beach area. We are looking for something either on the water or with a view and understand with that comes the need for flood insurance etc.

Would this area be considered transitional or a more stable residential area? There seems to be a mix of relatively newer homes (2000 up) and much older beach/second homes)

Old 03-01-2016, 07:13 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,629 times
It seems the developer was trying to give it an exotic name for Seashore. It should be Beira-Mar if they were going for the word in Portuguese, not Biera Mar.

It bugs me when a developer goes for a foreign name and then get it incorrect... i.e. There is a street in Fleming Island called "Los Palmas Way" any first year Spanish student knows it should be "Las Palmas Way"

It would bug me everyday to live in such a place because of the name being incorrect... but that is just me.

BTW there is a Brazilian movie called "Beira-Mar"

Old 03-01-2016, 08:29 AM

LOL. I don't care what it's called as long as it's near the beach But I can see why it would drive you crazy

I noticed that the area is sometimes identified as Butler Beach and other times part of Crescent Beach.

Is one more "preferred" than the other? Does calling it Crescent Beach mean the property value is higher?

Old 03-01-2016, 09:08 AM

284 posts, read 378,891 times
We call it Butler Beach to locals, but when trying to tell someone not from around here, it's just easier to say Crescent Beach.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:15 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmardeer View Post
LOL. I don't care what it's called as long as it's near the beach But I can see why it would drive you crazy

I noticed that the area is sometimes identified as Butler Beach and other times part of Crescent Beach.

Is one more "preferred" than the other? Does calling it Crescent Beach mean the property value is higher?

I agree it would be nice to near the beach again. I grew up about 2 blocks from the ocean, now I live in Middleburg, we have over an acre and its very nice. But I miss the ocean so much, and going to the beach doesnt mean packing the car.

I was complaining on facebook about a 45 minute drive to the beach and a guy i went to HS with commented "try living in Kansas City." so true its all relative.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:26 AM

I think once you are a beach person, it's hard to get it out of your system. Although having the acreage and privacy that comes with that much land has it's benefits as well.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:12 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,078 times
Butler Beach was an area set aside in the 1860's for the freed slaves to go as they were banned elsewhere. Crescent Beach is definitely quieter and less touristy than the Island

Old 03-02-2016, 07:21 AM

9,377 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Crescent Beach is our favorite beach in St Johns County. Typically quieter, less crowded, you can park on the beach with a 4x4 and the people there seem nicer and more respectful of your space. We looked into houses in the area but man, there is next to nothing in terms of food, entertainment, shopping, etc. If you live there, be prepared for long drives to civilization, but you certainly can get more house there vs, say, St Augustine Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville