Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 02:51 PM

126 posts, read 269,726 times

Advertisements

Can anyone who is familiar with Flora Parke, and SEDA Homes please provide information you know is accurate. What kind of community is Flora Parke, i.e. retired, families, lots of kids, lots of dogs, quiet, etc. Also, any knowledge of SEDA Homes. I'm considering a move to Flora Parke but have not been able to visit the community yet, so any information you can provide is valuable. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 05:53 AM

5,202 posts, read 6,142,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InPlaneSight View Post
Can anyone who is familiar with Flora Parke, and SEDA Homes please provide information you know is accurate. What kind of community is Flora Parke, i.e. retired, families, lots of kids, lots of dogs, quiet, etc. Also, any knowledge of SEDA Homes. I'm considering a move to Flora Parke but have not been able to visit the community yet, so any information you can provide is valuable. Thanks.

It is as you say, retired folks, families, etc. it is a very nice community.

There have been some instances of some home owners saying there exterior stucco was going bad but sprinklers and other moisture issues could of caused this.

This area is extremely hot now in terms of development.

You do have Publix, Target, Home Depot, Lowes, Star Bucks, Chili's, new movie cinema and more within two miles of Floral Parke.

They are breaking ground on a new school in days and if this keeps up it is going to be hard for the county to keep up with the demand for services.

For those of us who have been here better than 25 years the new growth has been unbelievable. The beaches are nice but now parking is limited during the summer after 12 PM.

I do not see things slowing down, and where we saw prices bottom out at about $85 a square foot for existing homes at the bottom of the boom are now averaging $105 for new. These are averages, on Island is higher.

http://ameliaislandliving.com/fernan...entary-school/

Good luck and welcome.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:35 PM

5 posts, read 5,509 times
InPlaneSight,

I cannot give much insight on being a resident of Flora Parke; I live on the island. But I wanted to bring this to your attention, as it is a fairly recent development. Many Flora Parke residents are very disgruntled that a RaceTrac 18 pump gas station is being constructed on the southeast corner of Flora Parke Crossing and SR200/A1A. While some are embracing the development and ensuing conveniences, it does not bode well for the quality of life and home values for those residents closest to the gas station.

twoforjoymagpie

Old 03-19-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoforjoymagpie View Post
InPlaneSight,

I cannot give much insight on being a resident of Flora Parke; I live on the island. But I wanted to bring this to your attention, as it is a fairly recent development. Many Flora Parke residents are very disgruntled that a RaceTrac 18 pump gas station is being constructed on the southeast corner of Flora Parke Crossing and SR200/A1A. While some are embracing the development and ensuing conveniences, it does not bode well for the quality of life and home values for those residents closest to the gas station.

twoforjoymagpie
Thanks for the info. That certainly is an important consideration. Looking at Google Earth, there are at least 6 homes that will be severely impacted by that.

Last edited by InPlaneSight; 03-19-2016 at 05:26 PM..

Old 03-19-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
It is as you say, retired folks, families, etc. it is a very nice community.

There have been some instances of some home owners saying there exterior stucco was going bad but sprinklers and other moisture issues could of caused this.

This area is extremely hot now in terms of development.

You do have Publix, Target, Home Depot, Lowes, Star Bucks, Chili's, new movie cinema and more within two miles of Floral Parke.

They are breaking ground on a new school in days and if this keeps up it is going to be hard for the county to keep up with the demand for services.

For those of us who have been here better than 25 years the new growth has been unbelievable. The beaches are nice but now parking is limited during the summer after 12 PM.

I do not see things slowing down, and where we saw prices bottom out at about $85 a square foot for existing homes at the bottom of the boom are now averaging $105 for new. These are averages, on Island is higher.

Nassau County’s Growth, Development & New Elementary School | Amelia Island eMagazine

Good luck and welcome.
Thanks. Some of those things are pretty appealing. I currently live in Naples and this area is literally exploding with new growth. Snowbirds are staying longer and a lot more families are moving in. Naples' demographics are changing! Sometimes, change is good.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:59 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
As a former resident of Amelia whose family has been in Nassau County for generations, as has my husband's, we left the area in the past year and are SO happy with our decision.

The growth is out of control. I know some will come on here and want to slap me for saying it, but that is my opinion. Some people are happy with all of the over-development and environmental destruction, but not everyone. We have friends who have moved there within the past decade who are very disgruntled with the destruction they have seen in that amount of time and that continues to take place. I'm not anti-growth, but I think there is a smarter way to do it. I look at how Charles Frasier developed Amelia Island Plantation, and admire how much he preserved nature and trees, and made it a stunning place to live. But for the most part, the powers that be are destroying the very thing that has attracted people to Amelia Island. Again, my opinion.

I am also concerned with the amount of traffic on the roads. Sure, they are six-laning a major portion of A1A, but that won't alleviate traffic, it will only allow more development. In 1999 when Hurricane Floyd was a threat, I had friends who said it took hours and hours just to get to I-95. And that was BEFORE Lowe's, Super Wal-Mart, Target, et al. The roads were rated an "F" as long as 15-20 years ago.

For those of you thinking of moving there, please do your due diligence so that you don't end up with a gas station or worse at the entrance of your subdivision.

From what I understand, even this weekend there are Grand Prix races at the airport. I have talked to my friends who live more inland on the island who are complaining about the noise.

I for one don't miss all the chain saws and traffic. We now live out in the country, no street lights, maybe a car or two down the beautiful canopied dirt road in front of our house a day, and the only sounds we hear are birds. Living how we live may not be for everyone, but for us, it's perfect. You couldn't pay us to move back to Amelia Island, and we still have loads of friends and good memories there.

To the OP, as far as your question regarding SEDA, my husband and I had a house built by them in 2000. They did a great job, and we found it was quality construction. I would highly recommend them.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
As a former resident of Amelia whose family has been in Nassau County for generations, as has my husband's, we left the area in the past year and are SO happy with our decision.

The growth is out of control. I know some will come on here and want to slap me for saying it, but that is my opinion. Some people are happy with all of the over-development and environmental destruction, but not everyone. We have friends who have moved there within the past decade who are very disgruntled with the destruction they have seen in that amount of time and that continues to take place. I'm not anti-growth, but I think there is a smarter way to do it. I look at how Charles Frasier developed Amelia Island Plantation, and admire how much he preserved nature and trees, and made it a stunning place to live. But for the most part, the powers that be are destroying the very thing that has attracted people to Amelia Island. Again, my opinion.

I am also concerned with the amount of traffic on the roads. Sure, they are six-laning a major portion of A1A, but that won't alleviate traffic, it will only allow more development. In 1999 when Hurricane Floyd was a threat, I had friends who said it took hours and hours just to get to I-95. And that was BEFORE Lowe's, Super Wal-Mart, Target, et al. The roads were rated an "F" as long as 15-20 years ago.

For those of you thinking of moving there, please do your due diligence so that you don't end up with a gas station or worse at the entrance of your subdivision.

From what I understand, even this weekend there are Grand Prix races at the airport. I have talked to my friends who live more inland on the island who are complaining about the noise.

I for one don't miss all the chain saws and traffic. We now live out in the country, no street lights, maybe a car or two down the beautiful canopied dirt road in front of our house a day, and the only sounds we hear are birds. Living how we live may not be for everyone, but for us, it's perfect. You couldn't pay us to move back to Amelia Island, and we still have loads of friends and good memories there.

To the OP, as far as your question regarding SEDA, my husband and I had a house built by them in 2000. They did a great job, and we found it was quality construction. I would highly recommend them.
I will pretty much agree with everything said above. I mentioned the growth in my post and trobesmom might sound a bit doom and gloom but my inner thoughts are that the growth is out of control. I just don't know if it is just me having been here to witness this unbelievable growth or maybe this happens in areas that are suddenly discovered and I realize it is a fact of life. I have never lived in an area where it has changed so dramatically so quickly. Either way it has been a shock. That small quiet beach town has been discovered and where the past boom halted buildout, this boom will see that happen.

I can only imagine how much this past years growth will have on the availability to access the beach this summer as holiday weekends this past summer saw access denied by mid day at Peters Point.

This group is constantly discussing the rapid growth in Saint John's County....................I have quietly been thinking to myself, if they only knew what was happening in Nassau County!!

Old 03-20-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I will pretty much agree with everything said above. I mentioned the growth in my post and trobesmom might sound a bit doom and gloom but my inner thoughts are that the growth is out of control. I just don't know if it is just me having been here to witness this unbelievable growth or maybe this happens in areas that are suddenly discovered and I realize it is a fact of life. I have never lived in an area where it has changed so dramatically so quickly. Either way it has been a shock. That small quiet beach town has been discovered and where the past boom halted buildout, this boom will see that happen.

I can only imagine how much this past years growth will have on the availability to access the beach this summer as holiday weekends this past summer saw access denied by mid day at Peters Point.

This group is constantly discussing the rapid growth in Saint John's County....................I have quietly been thinking to myself, if they only knew what was happening in Nassau County!!
I suppose we will contribute to the problem. Even though we are only one house, one car, two people, those seemingly insignificant parts will add up substantially if they keep multiplying.

Last edited by InPlaneSight; 03-20-2016 at 05:21 PM..

Old 03-20-2016, 06:15 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Not doom and gloom at all JBtwinz, just stating the facts, my friend. Can't argue with those. But then sometimes facts can be doom and gloom.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Not doom and gloom at all JBtwinz, just stating the facts, my friend. Can't argue with those. But then sometimes facts can be doom and gloom.
I know, that is why I mentioned my inner fears....................it is just changing at such a rapid pace. I want to think progress is good but this growth is really changing the entire character of Nassau County and Amelia Island and there is nothing in place to address the coming need for increased infrastructure. There will definitely be a need for many more schools not just the one they are breaking ground on.

I never ever truly believed it would be this soon that a drive down A1A towards the island would resemble Blanding Blvd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville