Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 07:13 PM

3 posts, read 23,734 times

Advertisements

My family and I are eager to move to Florida. We were wondering what the hoa fees include? Water, electricity, landscaping, trash, etc? Also, do we have to purchase the land separately or is that included in the cost of the home? I do know there is a CDD fee too. We are trying to figure out our budget so if you know of any other fees please advise. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 07:41 PM

103 posts, read 186,500 times
Each neighborhood and sub section of neighborhood will be different. However this information may help.

CDD Fees are usually two things. 1 Part Operating Expenses and a 2nd Part a Bond for "Infrastructure". Then a neighborhood is created it is sometimes put in a CDD District. That district is like a small government that has a board and employees. So your CDD fee the operating part will pay for the running of the neighborhood and paying the employees and maintaining the common areas and possibly roads or paying guards etc. The Infrastructure part is the bond that was taken out to build the roads, pools, zip lines and fitness club. In theory after 20 years that part is paid off and you'd only have the operating part that goes forever.

You could also think of the operating part of the CDD in the same way that some non-CDD neighborhoods treat their HOA fee. Sometimes with no CDD the HOA covers maintenance of the common areas and pool etc. So in those cases you have a much larger HOA fee as operating expenses are included in the HOA fee. In CDD neighborhoods you "may" find that the HOA fee is very small like $200 per year because only small administrative costs are in that where the larger operating costs are in the CDD.

Neighborhood to neighboorhood what is covered in these fees will vary. Trash, common lawn service or not etc.

For a real good explaination google this. Palencia POA & CDD's Explained

There is a PDF that explains it for this neighborhood and it will bring you up to speed.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:49 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,374,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookingatflorida View Post
My family and I are eager to move to Florida. We were wondering what the hoa fees include? Water, electricity, landscaping, trash, etc? Also, do we have to purchase the land separately or is that included in the cost of the home? I do know there is a CDD fee too. We are trying to figure out our budget so if you know of any other fees please advise. Thank you.
I don't live in Nocatee. But I do live in a HOA. In most/all(?) HOAs - part of your fees will go for common area water/electric/landscaping/trash/etc. But you will have to pay for those things when it comes to your own house (except in some senior communities where the HOA takes care of landscaping).

Some HOAs - like mine - have both master and "sub" HOAs - and you pay fees to both.

CDD fees are separate from HOA fees. They're used to pay off bonds that were issued to build community infrastructure - and to maintain that infrastructure.

In general - in a large place like Nocatee - the CDD fees would go to pay for things that everyone uses - like the water park - or Nocatee Parkway. And the HOA fees would go to pay for things that only residents of a particular HOA can use (which might be something like a community swimming pool).

Overall - it is difficult to budget exactly for HOA fees. Especially if a HOA is still controlled by the developer. Because developers like to keep costs low (to attract buyers). When a developer turns a HOA over to owners - it's not uncommon for fees to go up about 30%. Having gone through 3 "turnovers" - I would budget for that kind of increase down the road.

The same would probably be true to some degree when it comes to the maintenance part of the CDD fee - perhaps even before a turnover (which probably won't happen in Nocatee for decades). Depends how much the developers want to subsidize the CDD maintenance fees.

I don't know how the various communities in Nocatee work - but we bought our lot from a developer and then used our own builder. I don't know if you can do that in Nocatee - but you can certainly buy "packages" (lots with houses) there.

I am not a big fan of CDDs - but I know there are people here who don't mind them. Whatever you do - learn before you buy - so you'll know what you're getting into.

Also learn about various things here that might cost more (or less) than what you're paying now. Things like property tax - insurance (including flood insurance) - utilities - termite bond - etc. Robyn

Old 03-28-2016, 08:11 AM

199 posts, read 465,920 times
Quote:
Electric, Water, Sewer and Reclaim water services are not included in HOA or CDD fees. You pay those directly to the provider or your area. Nocatee is split, some neighborhoods are JEA others are FPL.

Trash pickup is covered by your St John's county taxes.

You provide your own Landscaping maintenance.

HOA fees vary depending on the size of the neighborhood (# of homes), whether or not it is gated and how much area the HOA has to maintain. Our fees are lower ($240/year) in Greenleaf Village, but I've heard other neighborhoods are that much per quarter. The biggest budget items are the landscape maintenance of the common areas ($36,000), power, water and sewer ($32,000) and the HOA management companies administrative fees ($36,000).

For the Nocatee neighborhoods we looked at, the cost of the land is included in the base home prices, but you will find a "lot premium" added on for more desirable lots.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:41 PM

2 posts, read 12,592 times
We live in Nocatee and LOVE it. The CDD fee is paid through our escrow acct so that is included in our monthly mortgage. The HOA is paid annually and we write a check. The HOA amount depends on the neighborhood you are looking at. If you call a builder they can let you know that specific cost.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseconfused View Post
...Trash pickup is covered by your St John's county taxes...
We pay $14.50/quarter on top of our taxes. Perhaps because we get garbage picked up twice a week. Not sure.

Overall - except for the "hard costs" - like what your monthly mortgage is - I'd leave a 20% margin for things - give or take. We've had a couple of younger families move next door to us over the decades - and more than one couple used to fight outside in the middle of the night because they bit off more than they could chew money-wise. Always best to leave yourself some margin for error. FWIW - there are some budget items people might not think of. Like cable/internet. That's one of our highest monthly costs these days. Robyn

Old 06-13-2016, 09:17 AM

3 posts, read 23,734 times
Thank you all for the information. We recently visited Nocatee and loved it!
Does anyone happen to know anything about the homesteaders tax exemption?

Old 06-13-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Thank you all for the information. We recently visited Nocatee and loved it!
Does anyone happen to know anything about the homesteaders tax exemption?
For most people - it's $50k off the assessed value. Taxes on a house that's assessed at about $325k after the homestead exemption will run you about $5k. That doesn't include HOA or CDD fees. Robyn

Old 06-13-2016, 09:13 PM

308 posts, read 265,359 times
In case you have not already seen it, this article on HOA vs CDD might be helpful: HOA vs CDD Fees in Jacksonville: What's the Difference?

For some places, the CDD fee may be very high due to the CDD being very new (i.e. high bonds) as opposed to other places that have already been around and only have operating costs (bond paid off).

Old 06-15-2016, 08:29 AM

52 posts, read 85,237 times
We are working on moving to Nocatee so I will tell you what I have learned.

Cdd fees go to the entire Nocatee plan to pay for the water park and other amenities. Usually they are around $2000 per year alone give or take depending on lot. I've seen them listed as high as $2900. Some resell houses have paid the bond portion off , making the bill lower per year.

Trash is included in property taxes, I have not heard of anything else being included.

Hoa fees, usually around $25- $50 a month in most neighborhoods except coastal oaks. Coastal oaks is about $150 per month, but they have their own pool, fitness center, and gate / guard the other plans do not. Coastal oaks has a nice open layout, fountains throughout and feels more upscale than the other neighborhoods imo.

There is a St. John's county tax estimator. You can go on and figure out your annual property taxes, and it will allow you to figure in homestead exemption. That plus Cdd fees plus hoa , it's a lot but remember they don't have statewide or local income tax. I looked at other plans like durbin, but the Cdd fees were essentially the same so I figure if I'm going to pay them might as well enjoy Nocatee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville