Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 08:26 AM

75 posts, read 103,389 times

Advertisements

I,too, am having trouble with JEA water. I have spoken to someone in Customer Service and they just tell me that my bill is low and I should not worry and I am lucky. Emails to them say I have to call. I can't figure out how, no matter how many days are in a cycle, or that I am out of town for weeks on some months, they say I use 1000 gallons. When I click on the Utility Tracker there is no data available. I am single, have all energy efficient appliances, my irrigation is on a well, and I only do laundry once every two weeks. When I lived in Connecticut my usage was 2400 gallons for 6 months! If you have any success in getting an answer then let me know! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 01:20 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,397 times
I think they use brackets, like 0-1000, 1000-2000 etc.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:21 PM

9,374 posts, read 8,342,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
I think they use brackets, like 0-1000, 1000-2000 etc.
This is what I was stating earlier, they call them tiers and if you use 1 or 700 gallons you fall within that first tier for billing and are charged at that rate.

Would be nice to hire a private auditor to somehow gauge your use.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:29 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,397 times
I think its because the meters are a little lower tech than the electric meters. They have a morning show like I mentioned where you can call in any Saturday and ask.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:36 PM

15 posts, read 16,322 times
Go outside, find your water meter, open the vault, and read it. Lather, rinse, repeat. Pun not intended.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:03 PM

2,340 posts, read 2,657,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardm1 View Post
Go outside, find your water meter, open the vault, and read it. Lather, rinse, repeat. Pun not intended.
So Richard, if I go outside and find the water meter, open it, and read it, then the readings on the web will somehow change to match the readings on the meter?

No, I didn't think so. My question was about the readings they show me on the web page.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:39 PM

I tried to get a hold of the person I knew at JEA via email. Either I got the email wrong, or she ignored my email. It did not bounce. I may try one more time, and if I need to fall back to the radio option (which I have no faith in) I might next weekend.

On the other hand.... my interest in this area was piqued when I had a really high bill 2 months ago. Water was really high. I checked my sprinklers and saw one had big leak, and we got that fixed. I went from 30 minutes twice a week to 15 minutes twice a week. I'll adjust that if lawn starts to look dry.

I had a toilet start giving us issues when it flushed, so exactly one month ago I had a dual flush toilet installed. 1.0 gallons for #1 and 1.6 for #2.

And I got serious about our thermostat. We previously had it set to 75 degrees 24/7. I made the new default be 76. My wife still works and I'm retired, so I am home in day while she is out. I started setting temp to 80 when I got up, and set it back to 76 45 minutes before she got home so it would be back to 76 when she arrived. 80 was not uncomfortable.

Well, the result is a bill this month that was $165 less than the big one 2 months ago. Both water and electric down. My bill is always going to be a little higher than most people because I have an electric car, but I was very satisfied to see my efforts paid off. I'm going to try a couple other things also going forward.

My thermostat is a wifi/programmable model. I'd taken advantage of the wifi aspect. For example if we went out to Suns game I'd set it to 80 as we left for stadium, and when the ballgame was ending I'd set it back to 76 using my phone so it would be 76 again by the time we got home. But I just today set up the programmable portion. It was very easy to do.

I know the most famous one is probably the Nest but I have the Sensi and could simply not be more pleased.

Sensi Wi-Fi Programmable Thermostat 1F86U-42WF for Smart Home, Works with Alexa - - Amazon.com

Old 05-13-2016, 10:09 PM

Going over my bills it seems like the water/sewer has been the biggest reduction.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:26 AM

15 posts, read 16,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
So Richard, if I go outside and find the water meter, open it, and read it, then the readings on the web will somehow change to match the readings on the meter?

No, I didn't think so. My question was about the readings they show me on the web page.
No, I meant you could read the meter for comparison with the web page. After a few days you might have a better handle on what's really happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville