Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Jax: city transition, bike rides around beach, artistic folks, outdoor climate, older neighborhoods

Old 02-22-2008, 03:51 PM

20 posts, read 60,738 times

Advertisements

I've never been to Jax, from what I've read here it must be nice. Although it sounds like it's sprawled out (like so many American cities), it still sounds appealing in many ways.

Can any of you who have relocated from other parts of the country or world share about your transition to the city and how you like or dislike it? Are people generally friendly and helpful? Are there any good areas to cycle or ride bikes in or around the city or beach?

It also looks to be an up and coming place that could use some more interesting local restaurants, coffee shops, etc... Thoughts? Certainly, I don't expect it to have the 'culture' of NYC or LA but what is it really like in Jax? Are there many artistic folks in Jax.? What is the 'feel' of the town. There must a lot of outdoors types given the great climate? Is Jax somewhat diverse?

Thanks to all. Your city sounds great and I'll be down in a few weeks to check it out! Any thoughts on what to see would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 06:52 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,469,061 times
I'm going to put my responses inside your post......

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitasum View Post

Can any of you who have relocated from other parts of the country or world share about your transition to the city and how you like or dislike it?

In NYC, any interest I had could be pursued to the fullest, here in Jax, there are limitations. I used to like to go to workshops and lectures and there are not as many opportunities here for that. So I miss that. Here in Jax though, I have many more opportunities for getting outdoors and that's what I was looking for in my move.

Are people generally friendly and helpful?

Helpful, yes. Friendly, yes, but not so much to make friends with you. My husband is from here, so I thought I'd make friends with his female friends and hopefully become part of their group, but they're really not interested in expanding their circle of friends. I've heard similar stories to mine, so I think that's just how it is here. But you'll make friends, it just might take a little longer here that it would in other cities.

Are there any good areas to cycle or ride bikes in or around the city or beach?

There seem to be plenty of cyclists here, I'm not one though!

It also looks to be an up and coming place that could use some more interesting local restaurants, coffee shops, etc... Thoughts?

Yes, please open one.

Certainly, I don't expect it to have the 'culture' of NYC or LA but what is it really like in Jax?

Slower paced, but not too slow. There's some culture, but you have to seek it out, it won't thump you over the head like in NYC, LA, etc.

Are there many artistic folks in Jax.?

There's a decent sized and growing arts scene. You'll find it in the older neighborhoods along the river and surrounding Downtown (Springfield, Riverside, San Marco) and out by the Beaches.

What is the 'feel' of the town.

Sleepy southern town waking up.

There must a lot of outdoors types given the great climate?

Big time, especially water-related. Surfing, boating, fishing, kayaking, jet-skiiing....the list is endless.

Is Jax somewhat diverse?

Diverse enough that no one should feel they should not move here.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:19 PM

Riveree, thanks for your responses to my questions as I found them helpful and insightful. We'll be down in a few weeks to check things out so do you happen to have any favorite places you think we see? (food, arts, particular beaches, area, or anything else?)

Thanks again for your help as it's much appreciated

Old 02-22-2008, 09:31 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,469,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitasum View Post
Riveree, thanks for your responses to my questions as I found them helpful and insightful. We'll be down in a few weeks to check things out so do you happen to have any favorite places you think we see? (food, arts, particular beaches, area, or anything else?)

Thanks again for your help as it's much appreciated

Downtown:

Check out Hemming Plaza (park), MOCA Jacksonville (our modern art museum ), our new public library, and The Landing:

Downtown Jacksonville: Home (http://downtownjacksonville.org/index.php - broken link)

Established and Historic neighborhoods surrounding Downtown:

Riverside & Avondale:

Check out Five Points in Riverside and The Cummer (museum & garden), then drive around and look at the houses:

rap
The Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens Jacksonville FL

San Marco:

Walk around San Marco Square - galleries, boutiques, restaurants:

San Marco Preservation Society

There are other neighborhoods you could look at, do some searches online for San Jose, Ft. Caroline, Mandarin, Springfield...if other neighborhoods interest you, you might want to explore those too.

The Saint John's Town Center:

Sure, it's fakey-fake, but it's very pretty with some great window shopping and nice places for lunch (PF Chang's is a good choice).

Simon Malls | More Choices — St. Johns Town Center ™ Information, St. Johns Town Center ™ Gift Cards

The Beaches:

Walk on the pier, stroll the shopping area, zone out to the waves .

Jacksonville Beach Pier

Find your way to Ragtimes to get a nice, central location for the beach (and a great lunch spot):

RAGTIME - restaurants

The Saint Johns River:

You can rent a boat (and a captain if need be) for a day to explore the river. The Saint Johns is one of only 14 Heritage rivers in the US and it's a huge part of Jacksonville's history:

St. Johns Riverkeeper

EPA's American Heritage Rivers > Designated Rivers > St. Johns River > St. Johns River Fact Sheet (http://www.epa.gov/rivers/98rivers/fsstjohn.html - broken link)

Day Trips to St. Augustine and/or Fernandina Beach would be another nice way to see NEFL

I think the above will give you a good idea of what Jacksonville is like, though there's so much more you could see. Have fun and bring a GPS!

Old 02-25-2008, 12:18 PM

Thanks again for all of your help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville