Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 07:03 AM

4 posts, read 7,963 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move my family of 5 from the greater Boston area to either northern florida or the Charlotte area. We are moving mainly for quality of life - we want a warm area where we can enjoy the outdoors. Also, we are looking for a real change in environment, since both of us have lived in the northeast our whole lives. I was wondering if I could hear from families who have made a similar move. How easy was it to find work? My husband is in finance and is well paid. I don't expect Boston money, but can he find a well paying finance job in this area? Also, do I need private school for my kids? All 3 are in grade school, what are tuitions like? Lastly, we want to stay in the mid to upper 300's for a house - is this reasonable? Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 07:26 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormove08 View Post
I am looking to move my family of 5 from the greater Boston area to either northern florida or the Charlotte area. We are moving mainly for quality of life - we want a warm area where we can enjoy the outdoors. Also, we are looking for a real change in environment, since both of us have lived in the northeast our whole lives. I was wondering if I could hear from families who have made a similar move. How easy was it to find work? My husband is in finance and is well paid. I don't expect Boston money, but can he find a well paying finance job in this area? Also, do I need private school for my kids? All 3 are in grade school, what are tuitions like? Lastly, we want to stay in the mid to upper 300's for a house - is this reasonable? Thanks for any input!
it's a fine idea but do your homework, salaries may not be all that great here, there are a couple of decent private schools here, tuition can be as high as 15k a year, if you move to st johns county the public schools might work for you

Old 02-12-2008, 07:37 AM

859 posts, read 3,616,779 times
300K for house is definitely possible in current JAX market. You can get a new construction for that price as well. Just depends how big of a house you wanted. There are PLENTY of houses to go around right now.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:05 AM
rtt

302 posts, read 812,386 times
From what I hear, Charlotte is a major finance area these days. Jacksonville isn't really at all. As PVBguy said, do your homework before you get here.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:39 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,023,466 times
Citibank has a big center here - mostly the credit card division. Also BofA is here as well as Wachovia. Citi has a lot of job postings right now, you might want to check their site, or CareerBuilders.com I don't know if BofA or Wachovia are hiring.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:50 AM

859 posts, read 3,616,779 times
those banks just fired tons of people. but maybe they're hiring higher management positions.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:48 PM

314 posts, read 1,217,578 times
Yeah be careful about applying at Citi/BofA/Wachovia...Citi unloaded 17,000 employees a yr ago, recently fired their ceo, hired a new one, and I believe are about to layoff 10,000 more.

BofA laid off 3000....Wachovia announced 3000 layoffs a month ago (I believe).

Look to private Fin Services or community banks for the jobs...

Old 02-12-2008, 07:19 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,023,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarndyce View Post
Yeah be careful about applying at Citi/BofA/Wachovia...Citi unloaded 17,000 employees a yr ago, recently fired their ceo, hired a new one, and I believe are about to layoff 10,000 more.

BofA laid off 3000....Wachovia announced 3000 layoffs a month ago (I believe).

Look to private Fin Services or community banks for the jobs...
Yup, but as soon as they unload em, they put new postings up. I worked for Citi (no I didn't get laid off). And, BTW, private community banks are ripe for merges. IMO Citi won't be leaving Jax, their whole credit card division is pretty well established here, and they closed another site in favor of this one. Change I think is the nature of the financial services industry. You take them for a ride before they take you, and you move on.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:45 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
Yup, but as soon as they unload em, they put new postings up.
They absolutely do! Amazing, isn't it?!

Old 02-12-2008, 09:57 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
I'm going to put my responses inside of your post since you had a lot of Q's:

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormove08 View Post
I am looking to move my family of 5 from the greater Boston area to either northern florida or the Charlotte area. We are moving mainly for quality of life - we want a warm area where we can enjoy the outdoors. Also, we are looking for a real change in environment, since both of us have lived in the northeast our whole lives. I was wondering if I could hear from families who have made a similar move.
I moved as a single from NYC and yes, you could expect a total change - weather-wise and other-wise...if you want change, head South!

How easy was it to find work? My husband is in finance and is well paid. I don't expect Boston money, but can he find a well paying finance job in this area?
A lot of the major banks/finance institutions are here as described by others above - Citi, Fidelity, Bank of America, WAMU, Wachovia...
It's not too difficult to find work with these companies, but a lot depends on timing. They're hiring, then there's a freeze, then they're hiring again and a month later there's a freeze again - it's a constant cycle. Also, the interview process can take a looooong time in Jax for the higher paid positions...they're not in such a hurry down here.
Positions in the $30k-$40k range are plentiful, $75k-$200k are there (usually in sales), higher management tends to be sourced from outside the city, from what I know of it.

Also, do I need private school for my kids?
For grade school level, you probably don't need it, but since they are coming from Boston schools you might want it to keep school challenging for them.

All 3 are in grade school, what are tuitions like?
For Prep school you could easily be looking at $10k-$20k/yr or more, pretty comparable to the NorthEast. There are non-prep private schools for less and parochial schools too.

Lastly, we want to stay in the mid to upper 300's for a house - is this reasonable?
Definitely, you can find a nice home in that price range.
Thanks for any input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: