Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 11:18 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,348,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingfood View Post
Just saw this list.
In Pictures: America's Most Miserable Cities - Forbes.com

I'm posting it strictly for conversation piece, since so many people are comparing JAX with few of the cities on that list. Or are moving from those cities.
So back to the topic at hand.....

I have to say, I found the list suprising in some ways. Poor Detroit .

Some of the cities on the list have been mentioned here on the Jax forum in the past few days: Philly and Charlotte come to mind.

Charlotte has a lot of similarities to Jax, and was considered a sister-city of sorts for many years. Jax is bigger though and has surpassed Charlotte on some levels....reading this article makes me think Jax may have surpassed Charlotte even more than I thought.

Philly is the 2nd largest (population-wise) city on the East Coast, Jacksonville is the 3rd.....will Philly continue to shrink and Jax continue to grow - will they change positions?

And for all our cries of 'crime in Jacksonville', it didn't even make us hit the list....interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 08:16 AM

459 posts, read 1,412,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarndyce View Post
Spring/Summer -- Everyone bails to Hamptons/Upper NY Mountains/Martha's Vineyard/Nantucket/Jersey Shore

Winter --off to Stowe, New Hampshire, or down to FL for the weekend

Fall--not as much "fleeing" for the weekend...because this is the only time the weather and smell of NYC aren't unbearable...

Show me an open bar in Midtown, Downtown on the weekend..and I'll show you an empty bar. I never said NYC was a ghost-town MIDWEEK...it's not. It's just not the place on the weekends...unless you're a suburban kid or a tourist from Kansas...
nice backtrack! spend a weekend night in each place, then post your definition of "ghost-town" again...

Old 02-13-2008, 08:24 AM

859 posts, read 3,606,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
So back to the topic at hand.....

I have to say, I found the list suprising in some ways. Poor Detroit .

Some of the cities on the list have been mentioned here on the Jax forum in the past few days: Philly and Charlotte come to mind.

Charlotte has a lot of similarities to Jax, and was considered a sister-city of sorts for many years. Jax is bigger though and has surpassed Charlotte on some levels....reading this article makes me think Jax may have surpassed Charlotte even more than I thought.

Philly is the 2nd largest (population-wise) city on the East Coast, Jacksonville is the 3rd.....will Philly continue to shrink and Jax continue to grow - will they change positions?

And for all our cries of 'crime in Jacksonville', it didn't even make us hit the list....interesting.
Our organized crime problem is peanuts compared to some of those cities. Still a growing problem, but haven't took over our city just yet, hopefully never will. Read yesterday they're hoping the ticket revenue from red light runners will add 100 more police on the beat. That has me quite concerned about traffic problem...because that's a lot of tickets and accidents!!!

Old 02-13-2008, 04:55 PM

53 posts, read 57,773 times
"We know you love Jacksonville and its gated communities, super sprawl, lack of culture, closes at 10 attitude, and fantastic weather. We know. Thanks for reminding us!"

Umm... I'm not crazy about all the gated communities, although I do live in one. I dont know anyone that loves supersprawl, so I'm not sure where that one came from either. Similarly, I dont know too many ppl that love Jax weather, as we all know it get's stupid hot in the summer, but I agree, the 6 months or so from Oct - Mar are nice.

And as far as a lack of culture and closing doors at 10pm, I could take it or leave it. But perhaps you had me confused with someone else, because these topics I have only touched on a few times.. in fact, other than the culture thing, (Southern pride in Jax is what you could call it), I really havent mentioned any of 'em. Later taters!

Old 02-13-2008, 05:33 PM

314 posts, read 1,213,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo13 View Post
nice backtrack! spend a weekend night in each place, then post your definition of "ghost-town" again...
Backtrack? Really? Let's take a look at what I said originally...
Quote:
New York is also a commuter city. People work and play during the week but they CLEAR OUT EVERY WEEKEND so NYC, specifically, is a ghost town every weekend except for the places that cater to Tourists (Rockefeller Square/Soho)...
Hmm. I stand by what I said. I worked in Midtown when I was in my 20's. I'm now in my 30's. I'm not looking for the same things I was back then. You can re-read my statements and maybe you'll comprehend them after the 3rd or 4th re-read? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/confused005.gif (broken link) I don't care, today, if New Yorkers or New Yorker transplants think Jacksonville is "dead" on the weekend or mid-week. I am looking for different things today.

Just to end this...I am hoping I come to the conclusion that Jacksonville is more like San Diego and less like New York City...

Old 02-13-2008, 08:29 PM

472 posts, read 1,540,487 times
Jarndyce... I get what you mean. Some people here love to argue symantics. The ghost-town thing is relative. Anyone who has visited NYC for a continuous week knows what you are talking about, I hope.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:33 PM

472 posts, read 1,540,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdecapio View Post

If they ever get a grocery store and a few restaurants open past 3pm downtown the place will come to life.
I couldn't agree more. Hopefully, this project "The Library" will change that.

The Library - Shop | Work | Play - Jacksonville, FL

Metro Jacksonville - "The Library"

Old 02-13-2008, 08:42 PM

53 posts, read 57,773 times
"Charlotte has a lot of similarities to Jax, and was considered a sister-city of sorts for many years. Jax is bigger though and has surpassed Charlotte on some levels....reading this article makes me think Jax may have surpassed Charlotte even more than I thought."

I like both places, and for different reasons.. but you cant really compare the two in my opinion. Charlotte jobs are far better, and the cost of living is less in Charlotte, while, most likely, also making a little bit more money. Advantage Charlotte, easily.

Jax has beaches, and Charlotte does not, obviously. Advantage Jax.

Weather? Too subjective, but Charlotte doesnt get that humid feel, not at a FL level anyway. Charlotte also has 4 seasons. Slight edge to Charlotte.

People? I think both places have nice ppl, and it's share of butts. LOL. But there are probably a few more ppl willing to go out of their way in Charlotte than in Jax, so I'd give Charlotte the edge again, although both cities have a fair number of ppl from far more aggressive/impatient/always in a hurry 'so get outta my way'-types.

Schools? Neither very food honestly, in my opinion, as well as many others.

Drivers? Far better in NC than almost all parts of FL, unfortunately.

One of Charlotte's downfalls I've heard lately is air quality... but I bet anything that their water is far better. So, I guess that's a wash.

Aesthetics: Charlotte is more attractive, without a doubt. Rolling hills, a very neat and clean look to it, and a brand new NBA arena in downtown. Jax has some nice looking areas too, but not as clean and pretty as Charlotte.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:53 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,717,893 times
I would've picked New Orleans to be somewhere in the top ten.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:22 PM

859 posts, read 3,606,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
I would've picked New Orleans to be somewhere in the top ten.
hopefully it just means New Orleans isn't bad as the ones on list and not that the media has 'forgotten' them. but yeh, mainstream media has forgotten about katrina...sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville