Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 08:53 AM

45 posts, read 246,006 times

Advertisements

With the new state wide bill about to become a reality, I am getting a little worried about our move that we are planning for July 2017. Specifically being locked out of the schools we will eventually be zoned for.

We own a house in St John's county and have been successfully renting it for the past 5 years; we ourselves reside in New York. We originally wanted to move to St Augustine in 2011 but it did not work out.

At this point our plans are to move in July 2017 when our older child will finish elementary school and will be ready for middle school. At that time, our younger child will be ready for Kindergarten enrollment. We are currently zoned for Palencia Elementary and Pacetti Bay Middle schools. This may potentially change with a few more schools being build out but I think it won't really happen within the next year.

With NY schools finishing up in late June, how can I enroll my kids? I assume this cannot be done remotely, so does it mean I would have to fly to FL (with or without kids?) to be there for the enrollment period? Can it at all be done over the summer (and would it potentially be way too late)? I'm also concerned that majority of our bills come to NY, so not sure I can demonstrate the paper trail quickly enough. Yes we have a mortgage statement that comes to NY, we have tax statement that comes to my parents in FL, renters are on utility bills for that property.

My kids are up to date on all of their shots in regard to NY policies, not sure if that will be enough for SJC. With our move, what should we be looking to get from NY doctor?

I would love to hear some feedback of what is and is not possible; as well as come gotcha's to be aware of while planning our move. Especially from those who moved to SJC out of state and had to deal with some of the similar issues.

I just think that with this new law we may be shut out of our own zoned schools.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 09:12 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisescorpiogirl View Post
With the new state wide bill about to become a reality, I am getting a little worried about our move that we are planning for July 2017. Specifically being locked out of the schools we will eventually be zoned for.

We own a house in St John's county and have been successfully renting it for the past 5 years; we ourselves reside in New York. We originally wanted to move to St Augustine in 2011 but it did not work out.

At this point our plans are to move in July 2017 when our older child will finish elementary school and will be ready for middle school. At that time, our younger child will be ready for Kindergarten enrollment. We are currently zoned for Palencia Elementary and Pacetti Bay Middle schools. This may potentially change with a few more schools being build out but I think it won't really happen within the next year.

With NY schools finishing up in late June, how can I enroll my kids? I assume this cannot be done remotely, so does it mean I would have to fly to FL (with or without kids?) to be there for the enrollment period? Can it at all be done over the summer (and would it potentially be way too late)? I'm also concerned that majority of our bills come to NY, so not sure I can demonstrate the paper trail quickly enough. Yes we have a mortgage statement that comes to NY, we have tax statement that comes to my parents in FL, renters are on utility bills for that property.

My kids are up to date on all of their shots in regard to NY policies, not sure if that will be enough for SJC. With our move, what should we be looking to get from NY doctor?

I would love to hear some feedback of what is and is not possible; as well as come gotcha's to be aware of while planning our move. Especially from those who moved to SJC out of state and had to deal with some of the similar issues.

I just think that with this new law we may be shut out of our own zoned schools.

Thank you

Enrolling Your Child in School | St. Johns County School District

This will answer your questions. I would think immunization records from your current pediatrian would suffice.

The "open enrollment" will change things a bit, they will not be able to deny admission. I would think that transportation to other than "assigned" school would be the responsibility of parents. My kids are in Clay County schools and for the acadamies or magnet schools in high school, we have to provide transport to schools. Bus is only for zoned school.

I dont think it will change much. At the beginning it might be crazy but it will level out

Old 04-08-2016, 10:13 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,787,209 times
You will need FL Drivers License.

For immunization records, you take the records from NY to St. Johns County to be transcribed onto the FL form, which is required by schools. You bring it there, and pick it up a day or two later, once the dr has reviewed it and they transferred the shots to the FL form.

You can register any time.

I am pretty sure if you have the residence in your name, and FL license with your address, they cannot deny admission to the zoned school.

July 2017 - so you have a year right? I'd just plan on spending a week here right after school ends in NY, doing the paperwork to enroll them. Since you own the house, this shouldn't be too hard. May want to ensure utilities are transferred just before you go there....renters' lease would be ending anyway, right?

Old 04-08-2016, 12:34 PM

103 posts, read 139,603 times
We did not have proof of residency in Palencia until 10 days prior to the start of school last year and it was a breeze. We did however have the advantage of already being in the district, just zoned for a different school, so being here I was able to go in ahead of time and explain the circumstances and Palencia Elem was more than accommodating with letting me turn in what I could ahead of time and start the process of transferring records, etc. I also registered without having to update my address on my FL license. Just changed that a few months back

While your kids do not have to be present to register, in SJC children entering kindergarten are given opportunities over the course of several dates to come in and register and meet with a kindergarten teacher to be "assessed." This helps the school with placement of your child since kids enter elementary school at all different levels and skill sets. It is a brief 5-10 minute low key interaction with teacher and child, but not a requirement. Dates will be posted on the school website.
My personal opinion is with Palencia Elementary situated further from the county boarder, it would less likely be sought after for those fleeing Duval Co in search of the nearest SJC school, as well as the general trend to want to be in a K-8. Liberty Pines Academy, Patriot Oaks and PV/PV would be easier access.

My advice would be to call the school with any questions and they will help put your mind at ease. The PES office staff is some of the most caring, helpful and patient individuals I've met in the school system. Good luck!

Old 04-08-2016, 03:14 PM

145 posts, read 224,684 times
For your kiddos' immunization records, you can take a copy to Walgreens and the pharmacy dept/nurse practitioner on duty will transcribe the records and input them into the official FL kids' record. I think they charge a fee --$25 maybe -- but the convenience is absolutely worth it.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:15 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Another thing to consider...

I've read that since some new schools will be coming on line about 2017 or so - there will be a county redistricting for the 2017-18 school year. I don't know if there are any particulars as of today. There are usually public hearings before these re-districtings. So you might follow the St. Johns County school website to keep on top of things. Or even perhaps perhaps subscribe to one or more of the very local papers (on-line or print) to keep on top of things (we subscribed to the Ponte Vedra Recorder before we moved here and we learned a lot about what was going before we got here). Robyn

Old 04-08-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmtSF View Post
For your kiddos' immunization records, you can take a copy to Walgreens and the pharmacy dept/nurse practitioner on duty will transcribe the records and input them into the official FL kids' record. I think they charge a fee --$25 maybe -- but the convenience is absolutely worth it.
Yes, after doing it with the county, I'd recommend this! I didn't know it was an option....but I had to go to St. Aug twice, wait twice, wait for phone calls, etc.

Also, what grades would your kids be then?

If elementary, doesn't matter too much.

For middle and HS, certain classes could be full. But I wouldn't stress about it it too much unless you definitely *need* certain courses.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:04 PM

45 posts, read 246,006 times
First of all thank you all for the details. I know it may sound a bit crazy to be asking a year and some in advance but I am a planner and a worrier

Currently the tenants should be out by end of April so we can hopefully get some of the bills transferred into our name. But because of NY school schedule my daughter will be in school until very end of June. So the earliest we will move to St Augustine will be in early July. I assume SJC schools will be completely closed up at that point.

I do subscribe to some of the SJC news via Facebook. That's how I heard about this new law. We also usually visit my parents 2-3 times a year.

My kids will be starting K and 6 in 2017, so it's a nice break down and nobody will be starting a new school in the middle of the school. Would somebody be able to speak a bit more about middle school specialized classes we may be locked out of due to high demand? I heard something about portfolios, though not sure if we would have one coming from out of state. My older daughter is part of city-wide gifted and talented program which she was part of starting K. Is there an equivalent in SJC, and how do kids get tested in? I believe in my previous conversations I've learned that in SJC G&T program does not start until middle of elementary school. Would anyone have any more info about this specific subject?

Thanks again!

Old 04-08-2016, 06:33 PM

You'll be fine! They have to take registrations up to when school starts --- and actually anytime.

The thing that they have to comply with is class size mandates, so they like to know their numbers, but every year, there are registrants up thru when school starts.

As far as specialized classes....look on the school's website about what electives are offered for 6th grade. You probably get a choice of Band or PE, then 1-2 more electives...a computer class may be one of them.

I don't know about portfolios. If she is in G&T in NY, you MUST bring documentation of that when you register in SJC. Assuming the documentation meets their requirements, your daughter will be placed in gifted classes (if that is what you want). This likely means that core classes are gifted classes, with a teacher trained in gifted education. Sometimes they are gifted/advanced (ie, gifted students mixed with advanced students). The tiers of classes here are Gifted, Advanced, and Standard. And Resource for special ed.

The school psychologist will then pull the out-of-state gifted kids for a gifted screener in the fall....likely September.

ALL kids are screened in 2nd grade. The program starts in 3rd grade. Out-of-state gifted students are placed gifted for one year, but must meet the hurdle scores on the screener OR outside testing, to be placed in gifted classes the following year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: