Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2016, 04:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,897 times

Advertisements

Please bear with me as I describe my situation. Please feel free to ask me questions if it would help. I'd really would love some input.

I'm in my early 40s, female, no children. I've lived in NYC all my life and have been wanting to leave probably for the last 15yrs. I'm a working class person.....living in a working class community....I'm currently working in the hospitality industry. My parents moved to Apopka about 14 years ago. I would like to move closer to my family.....but not too close. I'm very happy for them, they live in a beautiful suburban area, clean, people are friendly....I just don't care for the whole Orlando area. I've tried, really I have, but, it feels too cookie cutter manufactured for me personally. It also feels overpopulated to me. That's what I'm trying to get away from! I also have alot of family that live in Daytona Beach & Palm Coast.

I'm looking for clean and quiet. Not too far from the beach. As a New Yorker, I LOVE to walk and walk and walk, so, ideally a walking neighborhood would be preferred. I'd like a small home (less than 1000sqft) with 2br. Nothing fancy as my personality is very laid back. Ideally I'm looking for a cottage style home. I've seen a number of homes I love in downtown but unfortunately they're completely out of my financial league.

After a few years of browsing I've finally found a small home that absolutely speaks to me 100%......and it's in my small budget! It's really difficult to save enough money to get out of nyc (nyc is like a black hole that just won't let you go). But, huge BUT, I'm not too sure about the area it's located in. I've checked it out. It's located off of W King Street. I believe the area may be known as Moultrie Junction and not actually St. Augustine, if I'm not mistaken.

Could someone tell me if it's a safe area? The area itself does look a little....with complete respect......tired.....even a tad bit ghetto. I understand that looks can be completely deceiving and i hope I'm wrong, but, of course as someone who has never lived in this area, I'm wary. I would hate to leave nyc only to move into a rough neighborhood somewhere else.

I've been to St. Augustine many times and absolutely love it. I love everything about it. I also do love that the home wouldn't be too far from more than likely where I'd be working which would be on the island.

My farrrrrr second option would be the Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood area of Florida and only because it would be closer to the large hotels (for work purposes) without having to be in crazy Miami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 12:14 AM

26 posts, read 36,973 times
Ah...the Present Moment Cafe is on W King Street. That's my favorite restaurant in all of Florida. Definitely check it out some time if you're into raw vegan foods. It's so amazingly good and healthy.

I think that Moultrie Junction/W King St location is decent despite how it may look but it really depends on you and if you're feeling it or not. I've always enjoyed eating at the cafe I mentioned and W King St always seemed rather deserted (when I've eaten at the cafe) with only a few passing cars. You would be about a 15-25 minute walk to Flagler College/George St/Castillo Fort from that location where all the fun stuff really happens in Saint Augustine.

Most of the crime in Saint Augustine happens in the touristy areas (car burglaries, theft), so you don't have much to worry about.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:48 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,527 times
You may want to consider Riverside/Avondale section of Jacksonville as well. There are some nice areas of Orlando to consider as well that are closer to Downtown Orlando and not cookie cutter, like Baldwin Park, College Park etc.

The prices in Orlando I think are a bit higher. Post in Orlando Forum for more precise information. I lived and worked in Orlando for 2 years but I was in Sanford/Altamonte Springs and worked crazy hours... did not get out much. Obviously for your line of work there is much moreopportunity in Orlando

Old 05-14-2016, 06:14 PM

41 posts, read 69,957 times
I live in the west king area off of S. Whitney st. I would definitely describe the area as a little gritty but transitioning for the better. I can almost guarantee you that in 10-15 years the neighborhood will be a very very different place. There are three areas over here that are separate little neighborhoods, I live on the south side of king st. which is called oyster creek. Its a mix of 1920s bungalows and smaller newer concrete home. This is the safest part of W. King and the most rapidly changing. North of King st is Masters dr. which is a large area of mid century homes with some 1920s style homes mixed in. This area is a little sketchier but still not that terrible. Past these area down west king over the railroad tracks is West Augustine. This is the straight up ghetto. Lots of crime, lots of shady people and generally the worst part of St. Johns County. I would stay within the St. Augustine city limits if you do move. You should do some research on the changes that have taken place over in Lincolnville as that is what I expect to happen to certain parts of west king. Lincolnville used to be considered ghetto and dangerous 10 years ago but is now very sought after and very expensive. Dilapidated properties where fixed up and are now selling for lots of money. I used to rent in Lincolnville but purchased a 1900sqft restored farm house on an acre of land in Oyster creek for 1/2 the price of what it would have been in Lincolnville and its still only 1.5 miles to the center of town. If you aren't afraid of diverse and colorful neighborhood you should be fine over here on the west side.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:23 PM

what street is the house your interested on? That would narrow it down for us that live in the area

Old 04-08-2017, 09:39 AM

7 posts, read 10,713 times
Hey oystercreek,

We are looking at purchasing (in contract, but dependent on inspection) a place in the 100 block of Palmer street. Ghetto? Up and coming?

Thanks!

Old 04-08-2017, 05:57 PM

Palmer is on the other side of West King st from where I live. Most people just call that area between West King and SR16 Masters Dr. since that's the main drag through the neighborhood. I would call it up and coming but a little grittier than south of West King. It really goes street by street on that side; some homes are on the san Sebastian river and are beautiful vintage cottages that are well kept; other streets you may find abandoned houses and generally crappy little 1950's-1970s small ranch homes. There are a good amount of new homes being built back there which I think is a good sign. Pretty mixed area with a decent amount of thugs, dumb hillbilly, old folks that have lived there forever and then people like you and me who are expecting change and wanna get in early before prices go up. Just be aware that there is still a good amount of crime going on the west side, from drug dealers to meth houses and since I've moved here about 4 years ago there have been at least 6 murders. If your not involved in domestic disputes or drugs non of this drama will effect you and I really don't even worry about it. Make sure your getting a good price on the home and I say go for it.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:01 AM

7 posts, read 10,713 times
This is it & we really dig it. Also, our offer includes all outdoor furniture an accessories. The current owner had a job move and didn't wish to pack it all up - so win win for us! Inspection is on Wednesday.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...53613731_zpid/

Old 04-09-2017, 11:14 AM

I'm assuming you have spent some time in the area to check things out. Just Google mapped the house and it looks nice and the surrounding homes don't look bad. The google images are from 2013 but the house at 76 palmer st looks like the exact house I would try to avoid. Looks like a junkyard in the front yard and homes like these tend to be cancer for the surrounding neighbors but I don't live in that area to truly judge. I think price wise they are asking quite a bit for only 900ish square feet but if the outdoor living area makes up for it then I say go for it and enjoy it. Airbnb has taken over St Augustine so I bet when your not here you could rent out that house no problem for $100 a night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville