Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2013, 07:13 AM

66 posts, read 117,877 times

Advertisements

First, let me say, "thank you!" The folks on this forum have been SO helpful to me as I've been planning my relo to Jax.

Now on to my next question

I was originally thinking I'd live at the beaches, but I'm also digging the vibe I've been reading about in Avondale, Riverside and San Marco. (And I've been to those places, but it's been a couple of years and at the time I wasn't thinking about living there.)

I, of course, hope to make new friends when I move. So, here's the question - in Avondale, Riverside and San Marco, are those areas mainly young families/professionals. My situation is that I'm a (young-ish) empty nester, single woman. So, midlife, no kiddo at home, professional. I won't have the opportunity to make new friends at work because I work from home (I'm bringing my job with me.)

Would I find more people around my age and life situation (empty nest) at the beaches or in one of the other areas mentioned? I know this is a broad, general question, but I'd greatly appreciate any insight!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 09:06 AM

654 posts, read 944,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trola2 View Post
First, let me say, "thank you!" The folks on this forum have been SO helpful to me as I've been planning my relo to Jax.

I was originally thinking I'd live at the beaches, but I'm also digging the vibe I've been reading about in Avondale, Riverside and San Marco. (And I've been to those places, but it's been a couple of years and at the time I wasn't thinking about living there.)

I, of course, hope to make new friends when I move. So, here's the question - in Avondale, Riverside and San Marco, are those areas mainly young families/professionals. My situation is that I'm a (young-ish) empty nester, single woman. So, midlife, no kiddo at home, professional. I won't have the opportunity to make new friends at work because I work from home (I'm bringing my job with me.)

Would I find more people around my age and life situation (empty nest) at the beaches or in one of the other areas mentioned? I know this is a broad, general question, but I'd greatly appreciate any insight!
Thanks!
First of all, let me say that, if you're going to be moving to Jax (and I, having lived here 16 years and now about to move, would not recommend doing so), the only good choices would be Avondale, Riverside, or San Marco. Those three areas are quite diverse, eclectic, progressive, and somewhat cosmopolitan--you don't feel like you're in Jacksonville when you're there. However, they are very small. A lot of young, well-educated, professional people from other areas of the country live in those areas. There you'll find a small yet healthy LGBT community, too. (I don't know if that interests you.) As for the rest of the city, good God, it's quite a conservative place. As an openly gay male, let me tell you, I've experienced quite a bit of homophobia here over there years; Jacksonville has much progress to make. Much of the city, particularly the west side, but also parts of the north side, are very, very backward--when you go there, it's as if you're stepping back in time to the 1950s. Religious fundamentalism is really big in most of the city, and First Baptist plays a large role in city politics, much to the dismay of those of us who want to see the city progress and prosper. So if you're not a very conservative person and you're set on moving to Jax, then definitely relocate to Avondale, Riverside, or San Marco--or the Beaches, which are fairly progressive, but don't have the historical architecture the former three neighborhoods do.

Last edited by The King of Um; 04-13-2013 at 09:38 AM..

Old 04-14-2013, 01:10 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,275,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trola2 View Post

Thanks!
The Beaches in general has a much more college-centric entertainment/nighlife scene. That said, it's a pretty diverse area, expecially Jax Beach. Atlantic & Neptune Beaches are less so.

The Riverside & Avondale historic district and San Marco are 2 of my 3 favorite neighborhoods in Jacksonville, because they are relatively unique, diverse, cultured, fun, etc. The Springfield historic district is the other, turning into a similar community.

These neighborhoods are my preference in part as they are very diverse in just about way you can think of, not just in demographics, but in ways to spend your free time, ways to meet people, fun stuff to do, etc. Plenty of single professional women.

Check 'em out ~

Riverside & Avondale historic district
www.riverside-avondale.com
https://www.facebook.com/riversideavondalepreservation

Springfield historic district
www.myspringfield.org
www.sparcouncil.org
Springfield Preservation and Revitalization (SPAR) - Jacksonville, FL - Community Organization | Facebook

San Marco
www.mysanmarco.com
www.smpsjax.org
San Marco Preservation Society | Facebook

Old 04-14-2013, 01:51 PM

Thanks FSU. I'm coming to Jax in a few weeks and will be there about a week. I'm planning to spend some time in each of the areas I'm thinking about. I've added St. Augustine to the list, too. Then my next trip will be about 30 days before I move for househunting. Good times.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:17 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,243,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
First of all, let me say that, if you're going to be moving to Jax (and I, having lived here 16 years and now about to move, would not recommend doing so), the only good choices would be Avondale, Riverside, or San Marco. Those three areas are quite diverse, eclectic, progressive, and somewhat cosmopolitan--you don't feel like you're in Jacksonville when you're there. However, they are very small. A lot of young, well-educated, professional people from other areas of the country live in those areas. There you'll find a small yet healthy LGBT community, too. (I don't know if that interests you.) As for the rest of the city, good God, it's quite a conservative place. As an openly gay male, let me tell you, I've experienced quite a bit of homophobia here over there years; Jacksonville has much progress to make. Much of the city, particularly the west side, but also parts of the north side, are very, very backward--when you go there, it's as if you're stepping back in time to the 1950s. Religious fundamentalism is really big in most of the city, and First Baptist plays a large role in city politics, much to the dismay of those of us who want to see the city progress and prosper. So if you're not a very conservative person and you're set on moving to Jax, then definitely relocate to Avondale, Riverside, or San Marco--or the Beaches, which are fairly progressive, but don't have the historical architecture the former three neighborhoods do.

Pick the beaches.....our gays out here are far less whiny.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:29 PM

Hey Shakenstirred.
Do you live at Neptune Beach? It's my favorite of the beaches and my first choice of where I'd live if I move to the beaches.
What are my odds of finding something decent to rent there for under $1400/mo.? I need at least 2 bedrooms (to use one for an office).

Old 04-16-2013, 08:36 PM

9 posts, read 18,808 times
We moved to Springfield from San Marco and are loving it. It's so true that Riversiders, Springfielders and San Marcoers migrate from area to another. There's no reason to leave! It's like living in a small city alone in these communities. I do love the beach too though. Something about the sand and surf. It would be a difficult decision. Good luck!

Old 07-06-2013, 12:43 AM

11 posts, read 21,031 times
Riverside and Springfield have LARGE gay communities. I lived in Riverside for a year, at the age of 18. I loved it, its definitely an interesting splash of Artsy diversity. But both communities have the highest HIV/AIDS rate per neighborhood than any other area of Jacksonville.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,349 times
Not sure I completely understand. All of you mention the areas are very diverse, but yet the statistics indicate that there are only 4% African-Americans and about 2% Asian and the remaining are Caucasian . Would you call that diverse?

Old 05-11-2016, 01:17 PM

9,382 posts, read 8,348,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsslcktt View Post
Not sure I completely understand. All of you mention the areas are very diverse, but yet the statistics indicate that there are only 4% African-Americans and about 2% Asian and the remaining are Caucasian . Would you call that diverse?
You realize you're responding to a thread that is now 3 years old, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville