Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 06:03 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Really? A friend in Miami was telling me about how everyone from there goes to Naples for vacation because the beaches there now are just so filthy. A lot has changed in the past 20 years. While the water here may not be a pretty blue, at least the beaches here are well maintained. I was on Jax Beach on the morning of Memorial Day and while the trash cans were full awaiting trash pickup, the beaches themselves were free of trash.
I've only looked at the water in recent years. Haven't been on a beach.

The park we used to live next to still seems to get good reviews in terms of being clean:

“Lovely and unspoiled - clear and free from trash and seaweed”

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...e_Florida.html

At least most of the time.

OTOH - there are issues when it comes to trash on many Florida beaches. Especially during large festivals - spring break - holiday weekends and the like:

Floatopia festival on Miami beach may be banned by mayor after drug use and trash left behind | Daily Mail Online

Spring break out of control in Daytona Beach, officials say | Local News - WESH Home

Volunteers to pick up trash on South Beach amid Spring Break mess | Miami Herald

Another holiday, another trash problem on St. Pete Beach | Tampa Bay Times

There seem to be slobs everywhere:

Teens trash pristine Playalinda Beach

Even in Collier County (Naples):

Collier coastal cleanup draws hundreds to rid beach, canals of trash

Very unfortunate. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
Ocean beaches are supposed to be public, not private. Not everyone can or wants to join a beach club. I do think the county could restrict PARKING to residents of PVB or St. Johns County.

Just offered one solution, but I'm sure the PV Blvd residents would not like my solution. I'd like to see if St. Johns County has a proposal for this or is thinking about it....because if Micklers and several lots at Guana are all filling up on popular weekends, what is their solution?
Actually - the beaches are public seaward of the mean high tide line. Private landward of the mean high tide line. Except when the beach is owned/operated by a governmental body. State - county - city - etc. So - when you buy oceanfront property - the beach landward of the mean high tide line is private - and belongs to you (your condo association - etc.).

It would be possible for the county to restrict parking at Mickler's to county residents in some way/shape/form. Possibly by selling annual parking passes. But not to PVB residents. Because PVB isn't a legal entity with any defined boundaries (for example - is Palm Valley part of PVB? - maybe yes - maybe no). Even if this problem didn't exist - it would be political suicide for most county commissioners to exclude most county residents from a county beach. Especially since the taxes county residents pay go to maintain the beach. Also - apart from everything else - county finances are currently strained as a result of having to build/maintain lots of new schools. There really isn't a lot of spare money left to do other things.

When it comes to the Guana - it's basically owned/operated/maintained by the federal and state governments (I forget the exact details of the relationship). So the county doesn't have the power to regulate parking there. There is a parking fee there - $3. And everyone has to pay it. Parking is first-come first-served.

There has been talk from time to time about increasing the number of parking spaces at Mickler's:

https://www.questia.com/newspaper/1G...king-beach-lot

But the number of spaces proposed - < 100 - really wouldn't make much of a dent.

The county tried running shuttle buses from the Ponte Vedra Concert Hall to Mickler's a few years back. But not many people seemed interested in using them:

Parking in short supply at Mickler's Landing | jacksonville.com

There really isn't a good solution to the problem that I can see. The most I see is limiting parking at Mickler's to county residents through the sale of annual passes (and I don't think that will happen anytime soon). Which isn't much of a solution considering how quickly the county's population is growing (the county's population has more than doubled since we moved here in 1995 - and it's still growing at a fast pace). Parking at Mickler's has been crowded for decades - it's only gotten worse in recent years - and it will only get worse down the road. Everyone may not care to or want to join a beach club. But - if someone wants to live here and have easy beach access during the crowded summer months - that is the best option IMO. Robyn

Old 06-07-2016, 09:15 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Actually - the beaches are public seaward of the mean high tide line. Private landward of the mean high tide line. Except when the beach is owned/operated by a governmental body. State - county - city - etc. So - when you buy oceanfront property - the beach landward of the mean high tide line is private - and belongs to you (your condo association - etc.).

It would be possible for the county to restrict parking at Mickler's to county residents in some way/shape/form. Possibly by selling annual parking passes. But not to PVB residents. Because PVB isn't a legal entity with any defined boundaries (for example - is Palm Valley part of PVB? - maybe yes - maybe no). Even if this problem didn't exist - it would be political suicide for most county commissioners to exclude most county residents from a county beach. Especially since the taxes county residents pay go to maintain the beach. Also - apart from everything else - county finances are currently strained as a result of having to build/maintain lots of new schools. There really isn't a lot of spare money left to do other things.

When it comes to the Guana - it's basically owned/operated/maintained by the federal and state governments (I forget the exact details of the relationship). So the county doesn't have the power to regulate parking there. There is a parking fee there - $3. And everyone has to pay it. Parking is first-come first-served.

There has been talk from time to time about increasing the number of parking spaces at Mickler's:

https://www.questia.com/newspaper/1G...king-beach-lot

But the number of spaces proposed - < 100 - really wouldn't make much of a dent.

The county tried running shuttle buses from the Ponte Vedra Concert Hall to Mickler's a few years back. But not many people seemed interested in using them:

Parking in short supply at Mickler's Landing | jacksonville.com

There really isn't a good solution to the problem that I can see. The most I see is limiting parking at Mickler's to county residents through the sale of annual passes (and I don't think that will happen anytime soon). Which isn't much of a solution considering how quickly the county's population is growing (the county's population has more than doubled since we moved here in 1995 - and it's still growing at a fast pace). Parking at Mickler's has been crowded for decades - it's only gotten worse in recent years - and it will only get worse down the road. Everyone may not care to or want to join a beach club. But - if someone wants to live here and have easy beach access during the crowded summer months - that is the best option IMO. Robyn
You used to be able to pull over on A1A and just walk over the dunes to the beach. I remember doing this in the early 1990s in just north of Guana River SP where there were undeveloped lots. Mickler's Landing( back then it was called Crossroads) was was a simple T intersection of Micklers Cut-off and PV Blvd with a walkway to the beach and even access for horses. Just north of the walkway was a large undeveloped area, which I assumed was owned by the County. Had many a good time there at night running around dunes with friends. But then there was a large house built sometime in the late 1990s.

Friends of mine who are 10 years older or more used to just go to the beach in Ponte Vedra, have bonfires drink beer, swim and campout... no one really cared. Sheriffs department wasnt called because there was not homeowners to complain about the riff-raff from Jacksonville creating problems.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
You used to be able to pull over on A1A and just walk over the dunes to the beach. I remember doing this in the early 1990s in just north of Guana River SP where there were undeveloped lots. Mickler's Landing( back then it was called Crossroads) was was a simple T intersection of Micklers Cut-off and PV Blvd with a walkway to the beach and even access for horses. Just north of the walkway was a large undeveloped area, which I assumed was owned by the County. Had many a good time there at night running around dunes with friends. But then there was a large house built sometime in the late 1990s.

Friends of mine who are 10 years older or more used to just go to the beach in Ponte Vedra, have bonfires drink beer, swim and campout... no one really cared. Sheriffs department wasnt called because there was not homeowners to complain about the riff-raff from Jacksonville creating problems.
Yup - things have changed a whole lot in a relatively short period of time. The head of the firm who did the electrical on our house (about our age when we met him in 1995 - but now - unfortunately - deceased) recalled that all/most of what is now Marsh Landing was where he and friends used to come to hunt. For deer and similar. In the 60's/70's/80's. FWIW - things in Dade County changed a whole from the time we moved there in the early 70's until the time we left in the mid-90's. And they have changed more in the decades since we left.

That's Florida for you in recent decades. Always changing. Always more crowded in most places.

I'm not sure what people like snuffybear are looking for. Sounds like she wants an exclusive beach club for PVB residents paid for with taxpayer dollars. As a taxpayer - I have no interest in paying for anything like that. Just like she would probably have no interest in paying for/subsidizing a snazzy public golf course for a golfer like me in PVB. If she wants to go to the beach here - and not pay for a private club - there is plenty of public beach in this general area - especially up in the JAX Beach area. Robyn

Old 06-07-2016, 04:00 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,789,086 times
NO need to call me out Robyn. I go to Jax Beach frequently. But I can't walk my dog there between 9-5, and I often like to take the dog. Can't take dog to beach clubs either. FWIW, and may be just me, but I think the beach clubs are snooty. Not really my thing. And my husband and I are more rational about our spending: $23K to join a beach club is a lot when you have no asset to show for it. People do the beach clubs mostly for social reasons and I'm not one to buy my way into a social network.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:35 AM

Quote:
NO need to call me out Robyn. I go to Jax Beach frequently. But I can't walk my dog there between 9-5, and I often like to take the dog. Can't take dog to beach clubs either. FWIW, and may be just me, but I think the beach clubs are snooty. Not really my thing. And my husband and I are more rational about our spending: $23K to join a beach club is a lot when you have no asset to show for it. People do the beach clubs mostly for social reasons and I'm not one to buy my way into a social network.
Have you looked at all the beach clubs? I realize that some have the kind of initiation fees you've mentioned - but I don't think all of them do. What about this one?

Cabana Beach Club Ponte Vedra Membership | Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa

Or this one?

Benefits & Amenities - Serenata Beach Club

I think - but am not sure - that these are annual fees only places/have more modest initiation fees. Note that Serenata now has some kind of arrangement with Nocatee:

https://nocatee.com/private-beach-cl...tee-residents/

Also - although I tend to agree with you about non-refundable initiation fees for non-equity clubs - there's at least one equity club here (apart from The Plantation - which is residents only). Sawgrass. Which has an introductory "trial offer" these days:

Sawgrass Country Club*Membership

As for dogs - I have no idea what the rules are at various places. Nor am I familiar with the social scene flavors at various clubs. I have never gotten the sense that any are "snooty" when I visited them/belonged to them (Marsh Landing/TPC/ATP). We also had a 6 month "trial membership" at Ponte Vedra Inn & Club when we first moved here. Although the facility didn't suit our needs back then (especially when it came to tennis) - the people seemed friendly enough.

OTOH - I have found some of the facilities underwhelming. Like the family pool at the Ponte Vedra Inn & Club (which I saw last year on a crowded summer weekend) and the fitness facility at Marsh Landing (years ago). I have also heard people complain that Serenata is too crowded in the summer (no personal knowledge).

Note that when we moved here - a Marsh Landing beach club membership was included in the cost of our lot (I don't think Marsh Landing has a beach club now - not sure). We weren't interested in the beach club - and paid about $10,000 extra to upgrade our membership to a full golf/tennis County Club membership. It served us well for about 8 years. Then our needs changed - so we changed our memberships. On our part - we were/have been pleased with the club opportunities available here. Because all you have to do is pay money (the clubs in Miami still discriminated on the basis of race/ethnicity/religion back in the 90's).

Overall - we've been pretty happy with our club memberships over the years. Then again - we moved here with our eyes wide open. We knew the available options - and what they would cost. I suspect the $23,000 you're talking about is for a Ponte Vedra Inn & Club initiation fee. If that's the case - it's a reasonable amount to pay IMO if you plan to be in the area for a while (like a decade or more). It's pretty much the same initiation fee that existed 20 years ago. OTOH - when it comes to any of these clubs - you have to look at monthly dues - any food minimums - tennis and/or golf fees (if applicable) - and similar to determine what your overall costs will be. Finally - when it comes to beaches - well public beaches are crowded almost everywhere in Florida (and the rest of the country too). The same is true for tennis and golf facilities. If people want less crowded venues - they basically have to pay for private facilities. Robyn

Old 06-08-2016, 09:50 AM

297 posts, read 573,386 times
Quote:
Oh, for heaven's sake. Not only are you making sweeping generalizations, you're also wrong.

We moved from Fleming Island to our empty nester home in PVB last year. At first, I didn't want to join a beach club, but after seeing the hot mess at Mickler's (never went there when we lived in Fleming Island), I changed my mind.

$23K might be the initiation fee for the Inn & Club, but it's about half that for the Lodge & Club and Cabana Club.

Yes, you can take your dog on the beach at the club - at least the Lodge & Club, which is the one we belong to, and the Cabana Club which is next door. You can take them there anytime. The Lodge & Club provides towels for dogs, a hose to clean them off, and a water bowl.

The beach club itself isn't snooty. Are there snooty people there? I'm sure there are. There are snooty people everywhere. Most of the people I interact with at the club are the owners of the dogs that my dog wants to meet and the people who want to meet my dog. All have been very down-to-earth and friendly.

People do beach clubs for social reasons, or to buy their way into a social network? Really? We've been members for a year and have never done a social thing.

I belong to a beach club so I can go to a beach close by, any time of day, without having to think about parking; to have my morning coffee while watching the sunrise over the ocean from a comfortable chair on the deck; and to walk my dog on the beach whenever I want. One of these days I may even use the gym that's included in the membership.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:31 AM

9,392 posts, read 8,360,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayT15 View Post

I belong to a beach club so I can go to a beach close by, any time of day, without having to think about parking; to have my morning coffee while watching the sunrise over the ocean from a comfortable chair on the deck; and to walk my dog on the beach whenever I want. One of these days I may even use the gym that's included in the membership.
Sounds heavenly!

Old 06-08-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayT15 View Post
Oh, for heaven's sake. Not only are you making sweeping generalizations, you're also wrong.

We moved from Fleming Island to our empty nester home in PVB last year. At first, I didn't want to join a beach club, but after seeing the hot mess at Mickler's (never went there when we lived in Fleming Island), I changed my mind.

$23K might be the initiation fee for the Inn & Club, but it's about half that for the Lodge & Club and Cabana Club.

Yes, you can take your dog on the beach at the club - at least the Lodge & Club, which is the one we belong to, and the Cabana Club which is next door. You can take them there anytime. The Lodge & Club provides towels for dogs, a hose to clean them off, and a water bowl.

The beach club itself isn't snooty. Are there snooty people there? I'm sure there are. There are snooty people everywhere. Most of the people I interact with at the club are the owners of the dogs that my dog wants to meet and the people who want to meet my dog. All have been very down-to-earth and friendly.

People do beach clubs for social reasons, or to buy their way into a social network? Really? We've been members for a year and have never done a social thing.

Thanks for the glowing review Kay . My husband and I might take a look. Membership might make sense for us if the fitness facility is nice (wouldn't make much sense to join a place like this and belong to the Y too). How's the food? The Ponte Vedra Inn & Club used to have a nice "down home" southern restaurant years ago. It is long gone. We've only eaten in the dining room there once recently. Sunday Brunch. Which was ok - but nothing special. Pretty much the kind of fare you find at the TPC.

I have to be super careful when it comes to the sun these days. But I wouldn't mind taking long beach walks in the cooler months when the sun isn't as brutal as it is in the summer. BTW - if anyone wants to see what the beach looks like on crowded summer days - especially weekends - there's a beach cam:

Oceanfront Hotels Jacksonville | Ponte Vedra Beach Resorts

Don't know if kids are still in school now - but the beach was pretty empty this afternoon.

FWIW - I did get membership info. The initiation is $13,000 - and annual dues for senior couples is $2200. It's $2600 for non-senior families - $1600 for single seniors - and $1700 for non-senior singles.

I am not sure how to value a membership like this. Where the primary draw is the beach. I do know that the Y here costs over $1000 for a family. So - if the fitness facility is good - and you're not interested in organized Y team sport kind of activities - then it seems like a decent deal if you also want a beach.

Note that I read this in the membership materials:

10. Pets are not permitted on the Club’s property at any time.

So I guess dogs are ok outside on the beach. But not in the restaurants and the like. As a non-dog owner - that is ok by me. Robyn

Old 06-08-2016, 03:26 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,151,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
So if people are consuming alcohol on the "landward of the mean high tide line" at say the Sawgrass Beach Club, then they're not breaking the law? I'm trying to get the legal answer to this but no one seems to know. SJCSO patrols the area on ATVs but they mostly stop to tell people to leash their dogs. They don't reprimand folks for consuming alcohol (not from what I've seen anyway).

Just want to make sure I don't get arrested for enjoying a beer or 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville