U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 06:42 PM

14,628 posts, read 19,169,754 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure what you 2 guys are fighting about. LoveBoating actually lives in JAX. You - Florida2014 - do not (you're in SJC). Anyone who hasn't been born recently with the Zika virus - and has more than a tiny brain - realizes that a not insignificant part of JAX has a major crime problem. These may not be areas you go to on a regular basis. In fact - they're probably areas you've never stepped foot in. Also - those people with more than tiny brains realize this major crime problem doesn't exist everywhere in JAX/Duval County.

OTOH - the problems in the underclass communities in JAX/Duval County do affect the quality of life as a whole in the county. When you're spending money trying to eradicate garbage (whether you're spending money on police or actual garbage removal - cleaning trashy looking lots and similar) - there is less money to spend on other things (and that's not even taking into account the pension crisis in JAX/Duval County - which is a total mess). Also - if middle income people aren't certain that their kids won't wind up in the handful of schools in JAX/Duval County that are good or better - through high school - as opposed to the crummy schools in the lousy parts of the county - they - like you - Florida2014 - wind up in SJC - not Duval County. It's easy to diss people when you're living on the other side of the border (I wouldn't be so quick to do so). Robyn
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 07:08 PM

5,954 posts, read 4,282,387 times
Zika, there's another threat! Me and my tiny brain are staying indoors for the rest of the year, lol.

Last edited by Florida2014; 07-05-2016 at 07:25 PM..

Old 07-06-2016, 07:16 AM

5,954 posts, read 4,282,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
LoveBoating actually lives in JAX. You - Florida2014 - do not (you're in SJC).
Ah yes, so let's remember this one Robyn when you try and spout off your long-winded opinions (aka Google searches) on children, education, schools and such.....because as we know, you have none. THANKS!!!!

Old 07-06-2016, 10:47 AM

566 posts, read 531,391 times
I've said this before and i will say it again. Jacksonville's crime rates are very high considering how watered down they are due to the suburban annexation. I would love to see the crime rates calculated based on the original city borders. I did it before very roughly and the murder rate came up much higher than Detroit. If there was no annexation Jacksonville could very well be the highest in the country. If you don't believe me calculate it yourself.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoforjoymagpie View Post
Been following this thread, and just wanted to chime in with our family's experience. Our son and daughter, ages 21 and 25, share an apartment in Riverside. They love where they live - the walkability of it, the shops and eateries, the under the bridge market, the art scene, museum... They also like their apartment, in an old historic building that spans a block at the intersection of Copeland and Riverside Avenue. It's close to the river and shares the street with beautiful, older stately homes.

Last November, however, they were awakened, at 3:00 am, by two men who had kicked in a panel to their front door, and easily flipped and slid locks to gain access. They were ordered to lay face down on the living room floor. One of the men stood over them with a gun, while the other turned the whole place upside down. They ended up taking both kids' phones, my son's wallet (had no cash in it, just a driver's license and debit card) and rifled through my daughter's wallet, only taking her insulin pen from it.

They continued to lay face down until the men left, and not able to find their car keys in the mess, they walked to the nearby 7-Eleven, where a security guard offered his phone for them to contact the police.

There has not been any closure on this incident. Their apartment was processed as a crime scene, the kids were interviewed by a detective weeks after the incident, and we have heard nothing since. Our son's wallet was found later that day by a stranger, intact, on top of a pile of trash at the Bold Bean. Their door was replaced, locks were amped up, and the whole complex was given keypads on all entryway doors. Our kids decided that they wanted to remain in Riverside.

Two weeks ago, our son was being dropped off back home by a friend, who also wanted to first stop to get something at the same 7-Eleven mentioned earlier. This was at about midnight, on a Saturday. My son stayed in the car as the friend went in. My son then saw a man enter the store with a to over his hand, and a shirt pulled up over his face. He then watched as the clerk, and his friend, were held up at gunpoint. The robbery suspect made off with $50 and cigarettes from the store, and $6 from the friend.

Guess what? My kids still love Riverside. I am simply offering what has happened to our family as a caution to you. Be careful.

Back in November, when we rushed to meet our kids after the home invasion at gunpoint? There we found them in the middle of the street, along with the crime scene van and police cars lining the street. The police assured us that this was one of the nicest areas of Riverside. That something like this was unheard of there. And as we stood there hugging our kids, a very elderly lady passed us, strolling in her crocs, at 4:00 am. Just taking an early morning walk, she said.
Glad your children are ok. We had a similar incident when we lived in Philadelphia. Except the robber came in through an open window (he climbed up the fire escape) - we slept through the incident - and we got our wallets back in the mail in a US post office mailer that told us we forgot to use an envelope . We stayed in Philadelphia - but almost immediately moved to a much more secure high rise apartment building. You mentioned that your children's landlord took additional security measures after the crime. But - if the apartment door could be kicked in once - I suspect it can be kicked in again. If I were in your children's position - I would look for a more secure apartment.

Note that I tried to find reports about your children's crime on line. Couldn't find any - but wound up finding reports of similar crimes. Armed robberies too. Not only in Riverside - but in other parts of JAX. Parts people think of as "nice parts" of JAX - including Southside and UNF (technically part of Southside). Don't know if the stats show a rise in crime - or whether this has been going on for a long time. I know the area where my father lives (off Southside Blvd. a little south of JTB) seems to have a lot more crime now than it did when he first moved there 10 years ago. I think he should move (for that reason and others). But he doesn't want to. Robyn

Old 07-06-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackgt View Post
I've said this before and i will say it again. Jacksonville's crime rates are very high considering how watered down they are due to the suburban annexation. I would love to see the crime rates calculated based on the original city borders. I did it before very roughly and the murder rate came up much higher than Detroit. If there was no annexation Jacksonville could very well be the highest in the country. If you don't believe me calculate it yourself.
I suspect you mean the consolidation in 1968 - not the annexation in 1925:

The Plight of the Urban Core | Metro Jacksonville

That said - you're probably right. Although JAX still isn't anywhere on track to beat the most recent homicide high (in 2007).

Jacksonville.com | Database (2006-2015) | Florida-Times-Union

On the other hand - when I look at quality of life issues - overall crime statistics - as opposed to homicide statistics - would be what I'd look at. My chances of being murdered - anywhere - are always pretty low. But being the victim of a lesser - but still serious - crime - like a burglary - a robbery - an armed robbery - a home invasion robbery - can be (much) higher. There was too much of this kind of crime in Miami when we decided to move here. Especially if you lived in a single family house (as opposed to a secure gated high rise condo - the kind of place we always lived in in Miami). So - when we wanted to try out living in a single family house - we ruled out Miami. I don't recall that - at the time (20 years ago) - that Riverside/Avondale was an area where people were at risk of being robbed walking the streets/in their driveways/etc. Then again - we ruled out the area because we didn't have any interest in owning "this old house". So we didn't look especially hard at this issue. And I don't know what things are like there today. Robyn

Old 07-06-2016, 05:10 PM

2,760 posts, read 1,462,227 times
Just looking at the map, Avondale has literally only had 5 murders since 2006. And 4 of them were in 2006 and 2007 alone. The other coming in 2013.

So while anyone can be murdered anywhere, I still don't worry about it when leaving my house. I do go for walks fairly regularly, less regularly when it's really hot out. And although I've sometimes walked past some sketchy individuals in my travels and some homeless people (harmless homeless people), I haven't had any altercations. I feel pretty safe where I live. Sometimes there's a car break in around the neighborhood or a stray house burglary a dozen or so times in the year. And that's in the entire section of Avondale, not necessarily my block.

I was going to buy in Murray Hill initially. In fact, when I was first offered this job in in 2010 (didn't take it and move here until the end of 2013), I was going to buy in Murray Hill. While it's not a bad neighborhood, I feel better where I am in Avondale and feel like I lucked out into coming across this house. Murray Hill seems to have much more burglaries and car break ins than Avondale has. Though I still don't think you're at risk of being gunned down there. Murray Hill seems to average about 1.5 murders per year, looking at the map. Over half of them appear to be in the north side of Murray Hill, which is closer to Lackawanna, a BAD neighborhood and one of the more unsafe one's when talking about safety in Jax. So I wouldn't really wanna live in the northern part of Murray Hill. Where I was going to buy was on the west side of Edgewood Ave and not bad at all. Not that the east side of Edgewood is all bad, close to Edgewood isn't. I wouldn't wanna live too far to the north of that part of town though, too close to Lackawanna.

Old 07-09-2016, 03:50 PM

219 posts, read 390,471 times
I know Jax has murders and crime. What city doesn't. Jax gets around 85 or so murders a year which is bad, but mostly gangs and such.
You all should come to Baltimore and live. We have over 140 murders so far and should reach mid 300's by end of the year.
The gang wars here are so bad and we have politicians who are corrupt. Baltimore has a heroine problem, the city is dirty and city smells.
Even though the city is buying all the drug houses and poor areas and renovating them, it's still bad to live in. Actually, Johns Hopkins is buying all these areas. The drugs and crime is also spreading out to the counties.
I just heard from the police, a triple shooting the other night, now our murders are up to 205.

Last edited by dad2paisley; 07-09-2016 at 04:04 PM..

Old 07-10-2016, 03:48 AM

2,760 posts, read 1,462,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2paisley View Post
I know Jax has murders and crime. What city doesn't. Jax gets around 85 or so murders a year which is bad, but mostly gangs and such.
You all should come to Baltimore and live. We have over 140 murders so far and should reach mid 300's by end of the year.
The gang wars here are so bad and we have politicians who are corrupt. Baltimore has a heroine problem, the city is dirty and city smells.
Even though the city is buying all the drug houses and poor areas and renovating them, it's still bad to live in. Actually, Johns Hopkins is buying all these areas. The drugs and crime is also spreading out to the counties.
I just heard from the police, a triple shooting the other night, now our murders are up to 205.
Speaking of big cities, here's the deal.

Now I'll say it, Jacksonville has a lot of murders. Okay? Too many murders. And there are neighborhoods in Jax that are worse than hell! Quite literally! The problem with outsiders though (and even locals) is they seem to think that because there's a lot murders and violent crime in Jax, it means that almost every part of the city limits is this terribly unsafe place, where you're always at risk to be a victim of it. Or that you might be a victim of a random drive-by or stabbing just walking out your door. No matter where you live in the city, if you're address is Jacksonville.

Some years, Jacksonville has more murders than Newark, New Jersey! But context is needed here. Just because there might be more murders in a year in Jax than Newark, does this mean it's automatically a worst and more dangerous city? NO! Newark is a smaller city in both size of land and population than Jax. Look up the crime stats on city data and you will find the crime index is higher (most years) in Newark than Jax.

The weird thing is the crime index in some recent years is higher where my best friend lives down in Delray Beach than it is in Jax. Yet there high in murders there between 2001 and 2014 is 6! Happening two different years in that span.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
Speaking of big cities, here's the deal.

Now I'll say it, Jacksonville has a lot of murders. Okay? Too many murders. And there are neighborhoods in Jax that are worse than hell! Quite literally! The problem with outsiders though (and even locals) is they seem to think that because there's a lot murders and violent crime in Jax, it means that almost every part of the city limits is this terribly unsafe place, where you're always at risk to be a victim of it. Or that you might be a victim of a random drive-by or stabbing just walking out your door. No matter where you live in the city, if you're address is Jacksonville.

Some years, Jacksonville has more murders than Newark, New Jersey! But context is needed here. Just because there might be more murders in a year in Jax than Newark, does this mean it's automatically a worst and more dangerous city? NO! Newark is a smaller city in both size of land and population than Jax. Look up the crime stats on city data and you will find the crime index is higher (most years) in Newark than Jax.

The weird thing is the crime index in some recent years is higher where my best friend lives down in Delray Beach than it is in Jax. Yet there high in murders there between 2001 and 2014 is 6! Happening two different years in that span.
I think what you're pointing out is that JAX isn't a typical city. Because the city boundaries are co-extensive with the county boundaries - and the area is huge geographically. There are parts of JAX that don't resemble a city at all (many areas are suburban and some are even somewhat rural). In many parts of the US - a city will be much smaller than the county in which it's located. For example - the City of Camden NJ is a relatively small part of Camden County NJ.

When it comes to something like a crime index - there are many crimes other than homicides. Which may explain why a place like Delray Beach has a high crime index. Another factor is that part of SE Florida has some not so desirable/nice neighborhoods near the railroad tracks. These neighborhoods don't bear much relation to the nicer/wealthier areas east and west of them. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville