U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 11:15 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,142,196 times

Advertisements

Anyone remember how bad crime was in Jax back in the 80's and early 90's? You hear more about it now because like some posters have said it garners more ratings. I lived in Jax a few years back then as a kid and I remember the papers saying that averaged out to be about one murder per day. Things are better now. It's certainly no Memphis or New Orleans.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 12:47 PM

6,024 posts, read 4,349,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post

But the vibe that I've gotten from you and a few others, is you seem to be afraid of being a victim of one of these murders or crimes.
That was exactly the reason for this post and the reason why LoveBoating and others are chiming in here. Once everyone pointed out that the crime rate isn't that bad considering it's contained to a certain area and also given Jax's enormous size compared to other big cities, his tone has changed to "I care about my city and what happens here and you all don't care because you downplay the crime."

I see right through it. Especially considering the two biggest anti-Jax posters here are 1) leaving the city (yes, yes, yes, we know) and 2) doesn't even live here!

Old 07-16-2016, 12:49 PM

6,024 posts, read 4,349,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
After talking to some people who tell me "as long as it's not happening in my area, I'm really not concerned about it".....guess I'll have to go with that.
Yes, this seems to be the way you generalize everything in your life. A murder happened near you so IT'S EVERYWHERE! You saw one news story eight months ago where the chief of police voiced concern over crime and IT'S EVERYWHERE! You spoke to "some people" and now it's EVERYWHERE.

When are you leaving again?

Old 07-17-2016, 04:25 AM

2,757 posts, read 1,471,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Yes, this seems to be the way you generalize everything in your life. A murder happened near you so IT'S EVERYWHERE! You saw one news story eight months ago where the chief of police voiced concern over crime and IT'S EVERYWHERE! You spoke to "some people" and now it's EVERYWHERE.

When are you leaving again?
Man I really just think that if you wanna live in a city that is completely devoid of major and violent crime, then by all means you need to avoid Jacksonville.

And you need to avoid Orlando and Miami, St Pete too. Fort Myers also. And avoid all the major cities as well. Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, Memphis, Nashville, Raleigh, Denver, Phoenix, DC, Baltimore, Philly, Boston. LA, San Francisco! Avoid them all! Make sure you do not live anywhere that your mailing address will be in the municipalities of any of these cities! Make sure your address doesn't have any of these cities in it's name!

The thing is that most cities have terrible crime rates and murder rates. Some worse than Jacksonville, others not worse than Jacksonville. But just because your mailing address is in the city limits does not necessarily mean you are at risk of being a victim of a major crime. Google maps some of the locations of the most recent murders in Jax. You'll find many of them are in the BAD neighborhoods of the city. The notoriously bad ones. And I'll admit that there are parts of the city I don't dare venture to. There's parts where I wouldn't even drive into, for fear of being carjacked. But I don't feel like that is going to happen to me in my neighborhood or the surrounding ones. Lackawanna isn't that far away from me, but it's not that close either. Anywhere close to Lackawanna and pretty much north of I-10, and north of downtown and pretty much mostly until you get north of 295, those are the bad neighborhoods that you need to worry about. Although there may be a couple of assorted nicer neighborhoods in those surrounding areas, but many are not. And when I say north of downtown, most of Springfield is fine these days. It was a bad area for years, from what I understand. But most of it is alright now, as is Murray Hill. But the northern end of Springfield is dangerously close to some of the BAD neighborhoods, just as the very north end of Murray Hill and Riverside are dangerously close to Lackawanna.

I've been over this ad nauseum though, as have a few others. But there's a few that see anything in the city limits of Jacksonville as automatically being a target.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:35 AM

2,757 posts, read 1,471,926 times
And one thing I wanna stress on the "Well it happened in our complex, which is the safer part of town" thing.

Look up Palisades Park New Jersey's profile on city data. This is the town next to where I grew up. My mom grew up there. The crime index is insanely low there. The town has a population of 20K and is right outside New York City. It's very populated for how small the town is in actual size.

They don't even have a half a dozen robberies there some years. There's not even a murder there nearly every year and the crime index is usually under 100 every year. That's well below average.

My uncle lived a block away at the time back in 2010, from a house where someone broke in and murdered an elderly lady, then set the house on fire in an obvious attempt to try and cover up the murder. And they never found out who did it. You could literally see where this house is just by standing outside where my uncle lived at the time. And look at how safe that town is!

Old 07-26-2016, 05:46 PM

2,172 posts, read 3,345,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Sorry, isn't just gang members! We had a murder/suicide right here in our complex last year. It happened during a thunderstorm and nobody heard the gun shots. And..........we live in a nice part of the Southside. Been here since Jan. '09, but are moving back up north. Some cities/town in the U.S. have more crime than others and we are moving back to where there's a whole lot less crime as well as less traffic/population.
Boston? Chicago? Washington D.C.?

Yes, much less crime there. Have fun!

SS

Old 07-29-2016, 11:55 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,332,239 times
Per 100k, y'all have a better rate than little old Huntsville AL. So it could be worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville