U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 12:20 PM

308 posts, read 217,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
You love it here, that's entirely up to you! A number of people do, while there are those that don't, but can't afford to relocate. We've seen Jacksonville change since we moved here and, like some other cities, not all that change is good.
Just out of curiosity, in what part of Jacksonville do you live? And aside from the homicide rate, what about Jacksonville do you dislike. What trends have you been noticing about the city? Genuinely curious here...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 02:08 PM

7,519 posts, read 17,709,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs1n View Post
Just out of curiosity, in what part of Jacksonville do you live? And aside from the homicide rate, what about Jacksonville do you dislike. What trends have you been noticing about the city? Genuinely curious here...
Live on the Southside in Baymeadows area. There have been homicides near the 95 cross w/ Baymeadows.

Let's see, what we have come to not like here:

The boating. It turned out to be much easier to boat on a freshwater lake, like when we lived in Colorado.

No professional rodeo's like in Colorado or California.

Not much to do here....for us anyway.

Would have never thought that the area can get as cold as it can. Earlier this year the daytime high was 45! It gets that cold, and colder, in Colorado, but that is expected.

After 7 1/2 years here, Jax just isn't for us anymore. Actually, no place in Florida is and we've been from north to south (Key West) and all the way across (Atlantic to the Gulf).

And, we both have lived in a friendlier city!

Like I said "some like it here and will spend their life here, while others move here and later leave.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:41 PM

58 posts, read 47,468 times
Until last year, Detroit was the murder capital at 44 murders per 100,000. It's all about knowing where to go and having awareness. I went to college IN Detroit and walked around at night and only ever did I feel unsafe one time, and that was in the middle of the day. I regularly take my kids to sporting events and museums in Detroit and don't feel unsafe. I can't find exact numbers but going off of previous years, Detroit should be at about 120 murders through May. I'd much rather take my chances in Jacksonville.....

Old 05-31-2016, 03:29 PM

Like I've already said, some are bothered by the amount of homicides/crime here, while others aren't bothered at all. There are cities with a much higher crime rate, while there are cities with quite a bit lower crime rate.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:03 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,335,965 times
You simply cannot convince someone that murders are centered in a specific part of town even with maps, charts, stats, facts, etc etc. So its not even worth the effort. Hope those that read this aren't frightened off by a great city with a lot to offer.

BTW - if u cant find things to do here then u likely dont leave the house much.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
You simply cannot convince someone that murders are centered in a specific part of town even with maps, charts, stats, facts, etc etc. So its not even worth the effort. Hope those that read this aren't frightened off by a great city with a lot to offer.

BTW - if u cant find things to do here then u likely dont leave the house much.

"Great city, with a lot to offer".....I know some folks right now that would disagree with that! But, as the old saying goes, "to each their own".
BTW, we get out quite often, but definitely done more things while living in So. California and in Colorado.

Another thing, not telling anybody not to move here. Some will move here, not like it and move away. While others will move here and absolutely love it.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:53 PM

2,757 posts, read 1,469,720 times
Quote:
"Great city, with a lot to offer".....I know some folks right now that would disagree with that! But, as the old saying goes, "to each their own".
BTW, we get out quite often, but definitely done more things while living in So. California and in Colorado.

Another thing, not telling anybody not to move here. Some will move here, not like it and move away. While others will move here and absolutely love it.
Has the crime/homocides here struck you personally? I live in Avondale and have not experienced anything too bad. Even the murders that were relatively close to here were done in family or be someone that the victims knew. There was one random murder in Riverside last summer, where a young man was shot when taking out the trash at a restaurant, which was his place of work. There was speculation that he might have been the wrong target.

There was an arsonist here back in December or so. Not on my block or really in my neighborhood, but about a mile away. He set a parked jeep on fire, as well as a porch. The home just had damage to the porch and front of the house. Don't think they caught the guy, but the fires stopped after that week I believe.

Other than that, all I hear about are random vehicle break ins and home burglary's once in a while. I do a lot of walking around here, especially with my fiancée. We walk into five points and Riverside all the time. Usually in the dark when it's during the winter time. A couple weeks ago, my buddy and I walked through Murray Hill at about 3:00 AM. A patrolling cop car stopped and asked us what we were doing. He didn't hassle us much, once he saw we weren't trouble, he left. I've heard from acquaintances who live in Murray Hill that sketchy characters come around sometimes, but it's not really unsafe and you're not gonna get shot walking around there. There does seem to be a few more home and auto burglaries there than Avondale, but nothing too bad.

Jacksonville is not really as unsafe as people make it out to be. There's quite a few BAD neighborhoods, but the people that live here know where they are and stay clear. I've only lived here for 2.5 years now, but I've had no problems. And the people that I know that have lived here for 10, 20, 30+ years have some complaints about the city sometimes, but I haven't heard many that had the crime on their list. It's usually the oppressive heat, schools and certain aspects of the economy. Not the crime that's "plaguing" the city.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:18 PM

Well, have talked to some others that told us that they have lived in cities/towns where the crime rate was much less than here. For whatever reasons, they moved, like we did.
Neither of us have ever been out walking at 11PM or later. At our age, late 60's, we are in bed!

Wonder if the city of Jacksonville will ever go an entire week/7days without having a homicide?

Old 05-31-2016, 09:15 PM

2,757 posts, read 1,469,720 times
Quote:
Well, have talked to some others that told us that they have lived in cities/towns where the crime rate was much less than here. For whatever reasons, they moved, like we did.
Neither of us have ever been out walking at 11PM or later. At our age, late 60's, we are in bed!

Wonder if the city of Jacksonville will ever go an entire week/7days without having a homicide?
I'm sorry you feel that way. We don't live in the safest city in the country, not even close. But I just think that the crime thing is overblown here. And I've lived in places all my life where there wasn't much crime at all, and even Jacksonville (where I live and wander to) is not a big change of that for me personally.

This city is so big, that I doubt we'll go 7 days without a homicide. I'm not sure many large cities do, although I'm just assuming this or making an educated assumption of this. If major cities go a week without a homicide, there will likely be 3 to even out the percentages the next week. Jacksonville is the biggest city in the USA by land, if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure if you pull the records, Tampa and Miami are not much safer, it at all safer. Perhaps the same goes for Orlando as well.

And I've never really felt unsafe in any of those cities either, although I don't spend nearly as much time there as I do in Jax.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:02 AM

No matter what the homicide/crime rate is, some people love living in Jax, while some others don't. Some can move, and do, while others can't and have to stay...........we have talked to both. And, we have talked to some folks living here that have no idea why we would want to move back to a "snow-belt" area. There are folks living in "snow belt" areas of the U.S. that would love to move to somewhere like here, but, for ever the reasons can't. Than there are those that would never think of moving to Jacksonville, let alone anywhere in Florida. We have family and some friends living in So. Calif. that feel that exact way. They don't necessarily hear about the crime that happens here, but they sure hear/know about the humidity, gators and shark attacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville