U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 08:20 AM

5,994 posts, read 4,323,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Think you need more respect towards seniors............you'll be one someday!
Now I'm disrespectful on top of being a racist, lol! Call me what you will but I'm not sitting in my home afraid of the world around me as several of you are......who all happen to be senior citizens.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 09:57 AM

7,518 posts, read 17,702,257 times
Please remember..........I didn't say what YOU said about Seniors. Doubt, you would go on the Retirement Forum and say this. But, then again, at a "Senior" age, we wouldn't even think of doing some things the younger generation does. One thing for sure, with age, comes "caution". Just how do you think that a lot of us have lived to be this "Senior" age? Sitting at home at night, watching the the "MeTV" channel! LOL, but true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Now I'm disrespectful on top of being a racist, lol! Call me what you will but I'm not sitting in my home afraid of the world around me as several of you are......who all happen to be senior citizens.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:12 PM

2,757 posts, read 1,468,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
You bring up a interesting point about people in the "hood" killing each other because it does happen at a alarming rate.
A couple of years ago the Miami Herald analyzed the Murder rate in Miami for one year and 65% of the murdered were young black men under the age of 35.

This really is a indictment on our society if you look at the amount of murders in Chicago over the Memorial Day weekend.
The rest were Domestic violence and very few were just random acts of Murder in some robbery,etc. in Miami.
What people fail to realize is that if you live in Jax or Miami or Orlando your chances of being "murdered" are very low unless you are in some nefarious illegal activity or you have a domestic abuse issue.

If random murder were a issue Florida would have lost it's Tourism base & economy a long time ago.
When comparing Jacksonville to other Florida major cities, I'm pretty sure the crime index is definitely lower than Miami and Orlando. I thought Tampa's was pretty low for a big city, but don't quote me on it. Of course there are more murders and crime committed in Jax than those other cities, but there is also so many more people here. I think the population is almost double of those other cities.

Back in 2010 I moved from New Jersey to Imperial Beach California. All I heard was how bad Imperial Beach was because it's literally a few miles from the border of Mexico. And that there was nothing but gangs and violence and drugs there. I moved there with two other young guys, we were all between 22-27 at the time. We needed a 3 bedroom apartment and everything in Pac Beach, Ocean Beach, Mission, etc, was way too expensive for 3 bedrooms. So we settled on IB. And while we did move exactly a year later, we all had positive things to say about the place. Nothing but positives. Both of them had dogs and would walk them late at night sometimes. We were like a 10 minute walk from the beach, which was the most important thing because we all surfed. I would move back there again if I had to move somewhere else. Cost of living is much better here in Jax/Florida though. I could never afford to buy there and wouldn't have enough for the down payment. The only downside I had in IB (a VERY minor one) was there were a lot of people who seemed to only speak Spanish and it was sometimes hard to communicate with them, as I don't know Spanish and they don't know English. But the people there were nice, never had a problem with them. We all moved together to Redondo Beach because I got a job offer a year later. They're still there, and I've relocated to here in Jax in November 2013. Because of my experience in IB and hearing how "bad" and "dangerous" it was and it being fine, I tended to not give much thought to hearing the same things about Jax when moving here.

Old 06-03-2016, 04:30 PM

14,617 posts, read 19,202,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I just got home from a trip to Madrid. Great trip BTW. Where have you been the last couple of weeks/years? Where will you be taking your next vacation? In recent years - we've been to Japan (twice) - Singapore - Sweden - France - Germany - the UK. As well as New York - Los Angeles - Houston - Toronto (and the Detroit area - for a family wedding).

I don't think LoveBoating travels as much as we do. Because - IIRC - his wife isn't retired yet. So his schedule isn't as flexible as ours is. Still - he and his wife get out and do stuff - have explored things like boating here. And his wife does go to work - just like you do (presumably).

I think you have this somewhat strange notion of what younger seniors like me and my husband/LoveBoating and his wife do these days. We do the things we like to do/can do/can afford to do. Climbing the hilly streets in El Escorial slowed me and my husband down a bit - but we did it.

I can tell you that my 97 year old father has mobility issues these days. And can't get out that often. If he doesn't leave his place - it's not out of fear - it's because his walking is lousy/non-existent. But he was taking his boat to Bimini until he was about 80 or so. Also - my father - unlike my late FIL - who spent the last 2 1/2 years of his life here in a skilled nursing facility - won't let us take him around in a wheel chair. Unfortunate in my opinion. When it came to my FIL - we took him everywhere with us (with his wheel chair). Shopping - art fairs - restaurants - concerts - shows. Us "junior" seniors can and do get around. And - if our "senior" senior parents (80+) let us do it - we take them with us.

What do your parents/grandparents do? Perhaps they're different than the people I know. Robyn

Old 07-04-2016, 03:14 PM

4,591 posts, read 2,544,471 times
6 since July 1st and 60 so far this year. Shameful.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Yep, it's really a shame, but it sure doesn't stop people from moving here!

Old 07-04-2016, 09:05 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,519,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
We get it. Don't come here. You're looking for a unicorn city that doesn't exist.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:44 AM

2,757 posts, read 1,468,317 times
What I don't understand is why are a few people so afraid of these murders? Not saying anyone should be happy with them.

It's just that some people are acting as if these murders are happening to mostly average Joe's that are minding their own business and are being gunned down or shanked at random.

I'd like to know what percentage of these murders are random, I'm thinking it's a very small percentage. Most people in the city know which neighborhoods are good and which ones are trash and to stay out of. Most of these murders seem to be over drugs or fights with people that are at the very least acquaintances with the people that murdered them. And oddly enough, there was about two weeks of no murders in Jacksonville, before quite a few in the last week. Seems to be the percentages evening out. Although I believe the total murders are slightly on pace to be higher than the last few years.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:47 AM

Guess some of us simply watch too much of the local news! I know that wife and I don't want to "bury our heads in the sand" (got-to-say) about what's going on in Jacksonville, but to hear about about all these murders, can really get depressing and make a person wonder "what the "H" is going on around he?"

A lot of folks here think JAX is "the greatest place to live in the U.S.", but then again people who live in NYC and L.A. think the same with, even with all the crime/ homicides they get.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:15 AM

5,994 posts, read 4,323,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post

I'd like to know what percentage of these murders are random, I'm thinking it's a very small percentage.
I provided all of this data already, yet it fell on deaf ears here (or blind eyes). No matter what facts are presented they choose to focus on their perspective, which is that their lives are in grave danger here in Jax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville