U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2016, 08:50 AM
 
Location: PVB
4,609 posts, read 2,582,988 times
Reputation: 5137

Advertisements

This is really frightening:

Jacksonville.com | 2016 Homicides | Florida-Times-Union

39 so far and its only mid May
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2016, 02:18 PM
 
6,053 posts, read 4,376,679 times
Reputation: 11341
Frightening only if you are a gang member. The rest of us are fine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2016, 02:51 PM
 
Location: PVB
4,609 posts, read 2,582,988 times
Reputation: 5137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Frightening only if you are a gang member. The rest of us are fine.
That is comforting that only gang members are killing other gang members
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2016, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Northern Colorado
7,557 posts, read 17,740,617 times
Reputation: 4751
Sorry, isn't just gang members! We had a murder/suicide right here in our complex last year. It happened during a thunderstorm and nobody heard the gun shots. And..........we live in a nice part of the Southside. Been here since Jan. '09, but are moving back up north. Some cities/town in the U.S. have more crime than others and we are moving back to where there's a whole lot less crime as well as less traffic/population.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2016, 04:43 PM
 
6,053 posts, read 4,376,679 times
Reputation: 11341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
That is comforting that only gang members are killing other gang members
It should be unless you plan on joining the Crips. You have better odds of being eaten alive by an alligator as you do being killed in a homicide.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2016, 04:44 PM
 
6,053 posts, read 4,376,679 times
Reputation: 11341
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Sorry, isn't just gang members! We had a murder/suicide right here in our complex last year. It happened during a thunderstorm and nobody heard the gun shots. And..........we live in a nice part of the Southside. Been here since Jan. '09, but are moving back up north. Some cities/town in the U.S. have more crime than others and we are moving back to where there's a whole lot less crime as well as less traffic/population.

So that's one homcide.......from last year. Doesnt quite support your theory now does it.

Also, no need to reiterate with every single post that you are moving back. We've got it, you dont like Jax.

There are also parts of Denver/Aurora just as bad as North Jax.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2016, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Northern Colorado
7,557 posts, read 17,740,617 times
Reputation: 4751
Awe, come on! Everyone in Jax knows the crime/homicide rate in Jax is high. It was even brought up earlier this year by the JSO Chief. Can't "downplay" the crime here, just like can't do that in some other cities either.

And, FYI, we aren't moving to either Denver or Aurora! We are moving to northern Colorado this time.
And, BTW, all I was doing is making a comment to the OP that they are correct. There are folks that wish they could leave Colorado, but for financial or personal reasons they can't. The same goes for Jax and Florida in general.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
So that's one homcide.......from last year. Doesnt quite support your theory now does it.

Also, no need to reiterate with every single post that you are moving back. We've got it, you dont like Jax.

There are also parts of Denver/Aurora just as bad as North Jax.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2016, 05:35 AM
 
6,053 posts, read 4,376,679 times
Reputation: 11341
Let me state it again, the high homicide rate is almost exclusively concentrated in the north/northwest parts of the Jacksonville and is nearly ALL gang related. I know how City-Data boards work and someone is going to do a quick Google search and find ONE or TWO homicides that were not gang related to try and seem like they know better, but the facts are the facts and if you want facts, here they are:

Jacksonville.com | 2016 Homicides | Florida-Times-Union

Nearly all are black/Hispanic males, nearly all were shot, nearly all are concentrated on the north/northwest side in the poorer neighborhoods.

So to reiterate, this is gang vs. gang crime. None of us are in any danger of being shot by stray bullets due to this "high" murder rate. All big cities have this, Jacksonville is no different. But if you want to stay indoors and focus on glorified stats like this, knock yourself out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2016, 05:50 AM
 
Location: Northern Colorado
7,557 posts, read 17,740,617 times
Reputation: 4751
Ok, what about the current freeway shootings? These sure aren't gang related! And, you didn't make any kind of reply to me talking about what the JSO Sheriff said earlier this year about rising crime.
BTW, people on the Denver, Co forum downplay the crime there also.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2016, 06:46 AM
 
Location: PVB
4,609 posts, read 2,582,988 times
Reputation: 5137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Let me state it again, the high homicide rate is almost exclusively concentrated in the north/northwest parts of the Jacksonville and is nearly ALL gang related. I know how City-Data boards work and someone is going to do a quick Google search and find ONE or TWO homicides that were not gang related to try and seem like they know better, but the facts are the facts and if you want facts, here they are:

Jacksonville.com | 2016 Homicides | Florida-Times-Union

Nearly all are black/Hispanic males, nearly all were shot, nearly all are concentrated on the north/northwest side in the poorer neighborhoods.

So to reiterate, this is gang vs. gang crime. None of us are in any danger of being shot by stray bullets due to this "high" murder rate. All big cities have this, Jacksonville is no different. But if you want to stay indoors and focus on glorified stats like this, knock yourself out.
If you look at the map they are NOT all in the north/northwest maybe 50% are, 26.3% are white and 19.6% are women.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top