Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 08:31 PM

41 posts, read 70,249 times

Advertisements

Just curious what others "actually" consider St Augustine, It seems like everyone in St. Johns County says they are from St Augustine even if they live in Nocatee, WGV, Near the St. Johns river , South St. Johns county, Hastings, spuds, Vermont heights, etc; ive even heard people from Palatka say they live in St Augustine.. What do most people consider to be the City of St Augustine (I don't mean city limits). Its weird to me that someone that lives closer to Jacksonville would say they are from St Augustine. Not trying to say St Augustine is better or worse than the other places it just seems curious to me. I guess I consider St Augustine to be from as far south as Crescent beach to as far north as Vilano north beach and as far west as the outlet malls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 08:40 PM

103 posts, read 188,264 times
Could be zip code related? 32080 32084-86 32092 and 32095 are "Saint Augustine Zip Codes". We live in Palencia and call it Saint Augustine because that's what is on the mail. However when I look at a Google Map it has boundaries much like you describe, north beach to south Saint Augustine.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:41 PM

2,341 posts, read 2,679,090 times
I live in northern St Johns County, I consider myself to live in Jax.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:50 PM

41 posts, read 70,249 times
You have a good point with the zip codes. I've only lived in 32084 and 32080 and didn't realize that the others are considered St Augustine too.

Old 05-22-2016, 02:22 AM

58 posts, read 74,875 times
I believe it is mail/address related. We are in 32092 and say St Augustine as that is the legal address. When speaking with locals we usually say WGV.

A 32259 address for the north of 210, JCP area can use St John's or Jacksonville.
St Augustine does span a large area with many diverse locations. I think most people think of the historic city and beach when they hear St Augustine but a much larger area shares the legal address. Hastings is pretty far south with a different zip code but think people may refer to St Augustine as the general and more well known area.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:30 AM

103 posts, read 188,264 times
Debg1 you raise a good point. When people "around here" ask where we live we either say North of Saint Augustine or Palencia depending on our familiarity with the person. When someone from out of town asks or when ordering a product etc I say Saint Augustine.

I'm from Elk River Minnesota, moved here a year ago. When someone says "where are you from in Minnesota" I say The Twin Cities or Minneapolis because they would usually have no clue where Elk River is. Could be a similar thing too with Saint Augustine. I wouldn't even know what to call the Palencia area if not Palencia or Saint Augustine as it seems to be an unincorporated area patrolled by a Sheriff vs city cop. "South Ponte Vedra"?

Old 05-22-2016, 04:43 PM

9,426 posts, read 8,401,916 times
It's just easier to say Saint Augustine or even Jacksonville as most folks recognize both of those city's names. If you say "St Johns" you get an immediate blank stare and you have to explain it's a suburb south of Jax, blah blah..

Old 05-23-2016, 05:51 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,793,529 times
I've never heard that. They always say "St Johns County" or "Nocatee" or "Palencia" etc.

In the case of Palatka, it's probably because people never heard of it so they say St. Augustine.

Also could be because people know where St. A is (or have heard of it) and it sounds nicer than Jacksonville.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:14 AM

662 posts, read 870,631 times
I laughed at my buddy years ago when they first started building at WGV and he said he lives in St Aug now. I was like what?!?!? no you don't dude you live in the middle of nowhere.

St Aug IMO is Gun Club/Airport area to 206/Crescent.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:00 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,892,348 times
I live in Julington Creek Plantation in St. Johns. If someone familiar with this part of Florida asks where I'm from, I say Fruit Cove. If someone outside of the area asks, I say something like "St Johns, a little south of Jacksonville. Fair or not, Jacksonville doesn't have a good reputation, especially to people outside of Florida. I don't want people to think we live in Jacksonville. (And yes, I know there are some nice parts of Jacksonville.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville