Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 11:32 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingfood View Post
so whole food IS coming for reals? hope trader joe's will make its move too.
For reals!

Haven't heard any rumors about Trader Joe's yet........should we start some?!

I kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 06:29 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,024,412 times
Funny enough, there is a link to internet cheese store on this very thread. I clicked on it, did a search on your cheese, and they have it. Here's the direct link:

Gourmet Cheeses, Books, Kits, Cheese Parties, and Cheese Supplies - Tete De Moine

Old 02-18-2008, 01:48 PM

265 posts, read 994,069 times
yes I am lurking and missing my cheese so badly.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:14 PM

541 posts, read 2,285,920 times
I just don't understand it.....everyone on here wants to buy speciality cheeses....good imports. And there are over 700,000 people within a 30 mile radius, so why is there not one speciality cheese store? There must be enough demand for even a small one. I mean it just doesn't make any sense. What am I missing? Why is Jacksonville such a mysterious puzzle?

Old 02-18-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdecapio View Post
I just don't understand it.....everyone on here wants to buy speciality cheeses....good imports. And there are over 700,000 people within a 30 mile radius, so why is there not one speciality cheese store? There must be enough demand for even a small one. I mean it just doesn't make any sense. What am I missing? Why is Jacksonville such a mysterious puzzle?
There might be one, we just may not know of it. We're all so spread out, unless that little cheese store has a huge advertising budget, they're going to have to depend on word-of-mouth for them to be known city-wide.

I find out about all kinds of places right here on CD that I might not know of.

Jacksonville is full of secrets, it's the Southern Way!

Old 02-19-2008, 06:40 AM

This wasn't a problem in the NYC/north Jersey area....and I would say that there is much more competition there within a 30 mile radius. But, I guarantee I could find numerous places to find speciality cheese within a 10 mile radius.

Even in Ithaca, NY in upstate, I could find speciality imported cheeses at Wegmans....it was a town of only 30,000. How could a college town of 30,000 have more access to speciality cheese than Jacksonville? My dad lives in a small of about 20,000 near Pittsburgh and even there I can find two Italian delis. Two. One per 10,000 people. That means Jacksonville should have 70 Italian delis. It just doesn't make any sense.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
How could a college town of 30,000 have more access to speciality cheese than Jacksonville?...It just doesn't make any sense.
It doesn't matter to people down here; this is a different place.

Once you're here for a while, you'll start to see the things that are unique to Jacksonville (these things are subtle - they're not going to knock you over the head ). The South should be different from up North - it would be awful if everything was the same everywhere you went, don't you think?

Old 02-20-2008, 07:40 AM

A speciality cheese store is not a northern thing, it is a thing that can be expected in a very populated area. I was just giving northern examples of small towns with high class.

Alabama, Kentucky, I don't care...if you have 700000 people there is someone out there who wants to buy speciality cheese. You would have to be living in a cave to just buy your standard cheeses all your life and never want to go outside of the box. Especially with the internet and the Food Network which expose us to so much of the worlds foods.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
A speciality cheese store is not a northern thing, it is a thing that can be expected in a very populated area. I was just giving northern examples of small towns with high class.
No offense to Jacksonville, but Jacksonville is not a city with much high class, and I think most people like it that way. There's always been old Southern money here, there are still some debutante balls to be found and such, but Jax is mostly a relaxed, casual Southern city and has primarily been working and middle class.

No matter how much things may change in Jax, I don't think it will ever compete with cities up North in the same way. Jax may become more sophisticated, but I think it will keep its' laid back roots. Just my opinion.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:07 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
Did you find the cheese? I sent an e-mail to the owner of Chew and this is his reply:

This is a pretty common cheese, I do not know if u can get it in jax
but I have someone looking for it. If not u can get it online at
murrayscheese.com. Also there is a special wheel cutter that is
traditional for the cheese and it is where the name comes from(the
monks head) it would make a a great present as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville