Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 06:55 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times

Advertisements

Robyn55 is right about hot rental market. Back during the crash they would have taken you they were desperate but then everyone became a renter so there was a glut of potential renters available.

DO THEY BARK?

You'll be lucky to get anywhere let alone the beach, TBH.

I only know the downtown area for purposes of this discussion so bear in mind...

Where do you live now? A rental or are you an owner? How much are you willing to spend? You'll have a better shot if you're an owner and if you can prove assets so they know they can probably collect from you.

Yes offer a big deposit and advance rent payments.

OBVS only look at places with tile not carpet if you can.

Offer to allow monthly inspections maybe. A landlord I know does that under the guise of replacing the AC filter but it's really to give the place the eyeball.

Try and make the case that they are very small, in fact less weight combined than one large dog.

If you're a renter get references you can perhaps prove and you may be stuck renting from CraigsList which is always a difficult proposition. But there are some legit people on there as well as the scammers.

Keep in mind lots of them say "pet friendly" then when you call, they mean CATS. (which I would never rent to cats but that's another story) So look on the side of the listing for "dogs are ok".

Not many that aren't complexes.

Look for listings like these I just pulled as examples:...then be suspicious

$750 / 3br - 997ft2 - Price Just Dropped! Awesome Pet Friendly Home!

Maybe this one on Acosta -:

$750 / 3br - $750 3/1 Home Ready for Move In! Pet Friendly !

You may have to rent two small separate apartments next to each other, not kidding. That's why I asked your price point.

I was a dog walker in Jax and only came across renters with 4 dogs twice in 4 years. One was a crazy woman with EIGHT BIG DOGS in a 2 BR duplex and the place was beat to crap. She said the landlord lived in Hawaii and had no idea LOL. In San Marco.

The other was a couple in a normal single bungalow house that looked a little bit deferred maintenance but not bad. Nice people even though their check bounced for a minute.

I think they actually were on Acosta or over that way! I normally don't go that far west but they were stuck and kind of pitiful LOL. It can get tricky over there.

You'll have better luck there than right in the heart of say, Avondale or Riverside.

Both houses seemed Craigs-List-y to me. Just a feeling. Be careful, I got scammed $2700 by a HOMEOWNER in Hollywood FL on a relocation and even had my son go and do the walkthrough and interview the guy. As it turns out he had 140 judgments, liens, complaints on the Broward docket. He was using one of his houses to scam people. RIGHT 2 HOUSES FROM THE BEACH!! Detectives told me I'd never get my money obvs and it wouldn't go to criminal court because it was civil even though the civil judges knew what he was doing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 07:25 AM

294 posts, read 340,851 times
Since you want to move to the beaches area with 4 dogs you might want to check the restrictions for dogs on the beach (if you plan to have them on the beach). NB and JB have set times when they are allowed on the beach (always leashed of course) where AB is more lenient I think......

Old 06-13-2016, 09:50 AM

628 posts, read 286,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I think all anyone is saying here is someone like the OP with 4 dogs will have trouble renting. That's a fact - whether or not the OP or you like it. Robyn
No that's not all you are saying. If it were, I would have no problem with it. Feel free to tell the OP they will have trouble renting all day long and you'll never hear a peep from me because I know it is the truth - but to be mean about it and tell them to get rid of their dogs is another story and that's what was said.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:04 AM

581 posts, read 921,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather72754 View Post
No that's not all you are saying. If it were, I would have no problem with it. Feel free to tell the OP they will have trouble renting all day long and you'll never hear a peep from me because I know it is the truth - but to be mean about it and tell them to get rid of their dogs is another story and that's what was said.
The OP made one post about moving to JAX with 4 dogs and now is gone. Why keep rambling on?

Old 06-15-2016, 02:25 PM

628 posts, read 286,482 times
Because part of the reason the OP is gone could be the type of response that I have objected to - I think it's worth a little 'rambling'. However, as you've pointed out, the OP has been chased away so no need to continue in the thread.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:36 PM

18 posts, read 38,121 times
Hi all, for some reason my email hasn't been notifying me of new responses. Thanks for the feedback and I know that it is an uphill battle we will be facing. We are not going to get rid of any of our dogs and we plan on buying shortly but need to get our feet on the ground first. And I've enjoyed using this forum as I'm not from the area, and it was really helpful when I was planning our wedding there 6 years ago. I'll follow up with specific individuals for more info that have responded.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:12 PM

Thanks for this feedback, much appreciated. We currently rent here in Seattle, and will be putting together references from our landlord, neighbors, and our vet (per recommendations online I've seen). I'll be setting up times to go look at places and will address it when I meet the people in person so we can discuss rather than on the phone.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:56 PM

137 posts, read 177,240 times
Also bring along pictures of the four dogs- the cuter the better. when we rented they wanted to know breed and to see pictures.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:18 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgirl09524 View Post
Thanks for this feedback, much appreciated. We currently rent here in Seattle, and will be putting together references from our landlord, neighbors, and our vet (per recommendations online I've seen). I'll be setting up times to go look at places and will address it when I meet the people in person so we can discuss rather than on the phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmom2011 View Post
Also bring along pictures of the four dogs- the cuter the better. when we rented they wanted to know breed and to see pictures.

Yeah, that's what I did.

I wanted to rent an apartment that had a sign on a lawn. So I walked up to the lady and started talking to her and built a rapport. Then I pulled a picture of my bulldog out of my back pocket and asked her about him and it was fine because she had two dogs but more importantly I had a retail store in the neighborhood LOL.

I would also pull my own credit report and even take bank statements etc and keep them handy in case you can use them to at least show how prepared and organized you are.

Also take employment records if they're positive.

But don't be surprised if they try and screen you on the phone first. So it's better to set it up if you can by email or something to avoid answering the question about dogs.

They might get mad at you wasting their time but it all depends on how well you can sell yourself.

And DRESS for the meet up! Don't show up in daisy dukes and flip flops etc LOL

OH another thing. Take a picture of them all together not roaming around. I have a client with 3 tiny Chins and they have a little tiny baby dog gate only 18 inches high in the laundry room. Makes the dogs look really small sitting there nicely looking up all calm.

It also shows the owner is organized and makes their dogs act right or cares about leaving them safe and not destructive when they go out etc.

https://smile.amazon.com/Carlson-Tuf...small+dog+gate

Make sure the photo is like that. NOT up close or far away make it maximize their size as SMALL.

If by some chance they ARE calm (or walk them to tire them out first!) take a video of them in the house and to show how your house is so clean, organized yada yada.

Also have a story ready about WHY you have four. "We each had two before we got married" or "two belonged to my parent who died" or whatever the deal is....so they don't think you're collectors or rescuers.

Being married is a plus for the stability point of view.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 06-15-2016 at 07:34 PM..

Old 06-20-2016, 09:35 AM

Thankfully, one of my husbands daughters is going to take one of the 4 dogs so that will leave us with 3. I've been seeing more rentals that will take up to 3, which is great.

Runswithscissors, I will definitely take your advice and set up an appointment first. I have a great pic of the 3 of them that is cute and makes them look small.

Thanks all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: