Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 07:34 AM

24 posts, read 27,723 times

Advertisements

I have read several times about the high cost of auto registration and either it has increased significantly since I left or I just don't remember. I do know that the annual fee wasn't abnormally high.

We already post-poned our return to next year so as to accumulate a larger cushion. In reading the forum , I want to make sure I correctly understand that the exorbitant cost of $500 and more to register a vehicle is a one-time cost and not the annual fee. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 08:02 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,137,250 times
The initial registration will run $400-$500 as you referenced. Annual renewal after that is ~$50 per vehicle.

Still have NJ tags on one of our cars since the NJ registration expires in 8/2016. Don't drive that car much so we're waiting till August.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:54 PM

375 posts, read 442,935 times
If you had a tag titled in your name before you left, it may still be on file. If so you might not have to pay the fee again. When you go to get it, ask them to check and see if you have something on file.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:50 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,563,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
The initial registration will run $400-$500 as you referenced. Annual renewal after that is ~$50 per vehicle.

Still have NJ tags on one of our cars since the NJ registration expires in 8/2016. Don't drive that car much so we're waiting till August.
Where I worked in the 1990s had a large parking garage/lot. The first of every month some enforcer would drive around the parking lot looking for expired FL tags and people with out of state tags working( not Georgia, because it is possible to commute). This is when we first had impact fees for transferring title from out of state, a lady I worked with had moved down from Louisville, KY and got a ticket for not registering car within 10 days of establishing residency.

That enforcer got his or her quota... er expectation.. of tickets...

Chances are you wont get pulled over and ticketed but it is possible

Old 06-22-2016, 11:02 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,137,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
Where I worked in the 1990s had a large parking garage/lot. The first of every month some enforcer would drive around the parking lot looking for expired FL tags and people with out of state tags working( not Georgia, because it is possible to commute). This is when we first had impact fees for transferring title from out of state, a lady I worked with had moved down from Louisville, KY and got a ticket for not registering car within 10 days of establishing residency.

That enforcer got his or her quota... er expectation.. of tickets...

Chances are you wont get pulled over and ticketed but it is possible
Yup, I'm well aware. We rarely drive the car and it's sitting in the garage.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:39 PM

24 posts, read 27,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonvilleNative View Post
If you had a tag titled in your name before you left, it may still be on file. If so you might not have to pay the fee again. When you go to get it, ask them to check and see if you have something on file.
Thanks, I will mention that I lived here before although since I've been gone for so long I won't count on not paying this fee. I'm just happy to have it verified that this will be a one-time charge under the moving expense category. The $50 plus annual fee is doable.

Old 06-24-2016, 03:48 PM

461 posts, read 695,767 times
When I lived in Indiana, the property tax for the vehicle was tied into the annual registration, so it was always a few hundred to renew each year. They used to set up "sting" operations at elementary and middle schools and give tickets to those families who were dropping off kids with out of state plates. Not sure if they gave passes to people who could prove they were visiting grandparents.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:38 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,951,500 times
Whether one has to start from scratch and pay the huge "new wheels" fee or if a tag is still on file so that the fee doesn't have to be paid, one thing to keep in mind is the date of registration and the date of the vehicle owner's birthday. Timing is everything since annual reregistration occurs on the owner's birthday. It's a silly set-up, but if you register a car on July 31st and the owner's birthday is August 1st, you have to pay the current year's registration on the 31st and then the next year's registration on the next day the 1st!

When we first registered our cars, both our names were on the titles, but we retitled (can't recall now, but it was either free or cheap) putting my name first because my birthday was the farthest away. In that way we had 10 months before my birthday as opposed to my other half's birthday which was only a month away.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:19 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,563,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Whether one has to start from scratch and pay the huge "new wheels" fee or if a tag is still on file so that the fee doesn't have to be paid, one thing to keep in mind is the date of registration and the date of the vehicle owner's birthday. Timing is everything since annual reregistration occurs on the owner's birthday. It's a silly set-up, but if you register a car on July 31st and the owner's birthday is August 1st, you have to pay the current year's registration on the 31st and then the next year's registration on the next day the 1st!

When we first registered our cars, both our names were on the titles, but we retitled (can't recall now, but it was either free or cheap) putting my name first because my birthday was the farthest away. In that way we had 10 months before my birthday as opposed to my other half's birthday which was only a month away.

In the past all tags expired on 6/30. And then you had to get a new licence plate every year, not just a sticker. My parents said lines were really long; this was long before online renewal of tags.

Leased cars and commercial vehicles are still 06/30 expiration.

I think Florida switched to birthday in 1975, when we got rid of the codes on the tag for county. 2- was Duval, Clay was 48, St Johns was 15( i think), Dade was 1, Hillsborough was 3, Pinellas was 4, Orange was 6, Broward was 10 and Alachua was 11, not sure of the others but you can look it up. It was based on population of counties in 1930s. You can still see the codes on traffic tickets sometimes.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:19 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,951,500 times
jwolfer - thanks for the history! Interesting! At least today it's easier to reregister that's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville