Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 01:08 PM

43 posts, read 58,797 times

Advertisements

First of all, THANK YOU to all who have answered my many questions over the past few months regarding builders, living in NE Florida, etc. Much appreciated! I'm very excited to close on the home and move to the region.

The house I bought uses electric for heating, but propane gas for the stove, fireplace, etc. I was reading about propane and everyone seems to recommend converting to natural gas but I have a few questions...

1) Is Julington Creek Plantation piped for natural gas, and if not, is it possible to get natural gas to that area? If so, how much would this cost?

2) The house currently has a propane tank leased by Sawyer gas. I have the option of either having it removed or continuing with the lease. Does anyone have any experience with Sawyer (reviews online were atrocious but I try to take them with a grain of salt), and if there are better gas companies, can you please let me know?

3) If I do go with a different company and have Sawyer remove the propane tank, how much does it typically cost to have a new one put in (assuming I lease it).

Thanks again for everyone's help! And apologies in advance for all the questions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 01:44 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,932,406 times
Congratulations on your new home. I can't answer your questions, but please be aware that propane is heavier than air. If there is a leak in the lines that bring the propane into your home, the gas will sink and settle in the lowest parts of the house, like a basement. You will need to get a few propane monitors and place them in the lowest parts of the house. They're like smoke alarms that sniff propane. Not a big deal, just be safe.

Old 07-09-2016, 02:22 PM

265 posts, read 510,364 times
Congrats!

Old 07-09-2016, 02:39 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,504,737 times
We currently lease our buried propane tank from Sawyer. We originally got it from Amerigas, but I guess they sold their accts at some point after we did had it installed in 2010. We are only feeding a gas fireplace, and nothing else. I called for service last year, since we were having issues with the gas getting to the fireplace. They wouldn't offer any service, beyond making sure there was pressure at the tank. Kinda disappointed over that. I have a suspicion that the regulator, which was installed by Amerigas, has gone bad. I don't know why Sawyer wouldn't try to check that. I'll have to call back and try again at some point.

Old 07-09-2016, 04:09 PM

375 posts, read 444,711 times
According to the Teaco website it is available in JC

Enjoy - Peoples Gas

You will need to weigh the cost of conversion of your appliances which could be simple and cheap or complicated and expensive. It will depend on the appliances and what it takes. The stove will probably be relatively easy and not expensive but the fireplace could be a little more expensive.

Another option is to buy new appliances in which Teaco will give you a reduced rate for hook up.

If you decide to stay with propane, check with AA Bottled Gas, in most cases they do not charge a tank rental.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonvilleNative View Post
According to the Teaco website it is available in JC

Enjoy - Peoples Gas

You will need to weigh the cost of conversion of your appliances which could be simple and cheap or complicated and expensive. It will depend on the appliances and what it takes. The stove will probably be relatively easy and not expensive but the fireplace could be a little more expensive.

Another option is to buy new appliances in which Teaco will give you a reduced rate for hook up.

If you decide to stay with propane, check with AA Bottled Gas, in most cases they do not charge a tank rental.
Thank you to all who replied!

That is excellent news that natural gas is available in JCP; now the fun begins of figuring out the cost benefit of switching. At least I can say (pending inspection) that I no longer have to drive 7 hours every time a decent house comes on the market only to find it sold before I arrive.

Again, thank you to all who have offered advice to me during this process over the past four months. Hopefully once I am settled in Jax I can become an active contributor to this forum and help others as you have helped me.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:38 PM

222 posts, read 425,875 times
Congratulations on having found a home! Unfortunately natural gas is not an option in JCP. (There are a few communities in the 32259 zip code that have natural gas but JCP is not one of them.) Not sure if it would be worth the hassle to have the existing tank removed and a new one installed unless you hear glowing (or dismal) reviews for a gas company.
Our family leases a buried tank from D&D Gas as our hot water heater, cooktop, outdoor grill and fireplace all run on propane. D&D buried/installed the tank at no cost back in 2010 when we bought our home. We are satisfied with D&D but have only had one service call with them so don't have much to do with them except to pay the bill when they deliver propane.
Good luck with your move and welcome to the area!

Old 07-11-2016, 11:19 PM

237 posts, read 497,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean1234 View Post
Congratulations on having found a home! Unfortunately natural gas is not an option in JCP. (There are a few communities in the 32259 zip code that have natural gas but JCP is not one of them.) Not sure if it would be worth the hassle to have the existing tank removed and a new one installed unless you hear glowing (or dismal) reviews for a gas company.
Our family leases a buried tank from D&D Gas as our hot water heater, cooktop, outdoor grill and fireplace all run on propane. D&D buried/installed the tank at no cost back in 2010 when we bought our home. We are satisfied with D&D but have only had one service call with them so don't have much to do with them except to pay the bill when they deliver propane.

I can not help but wonder why run your stove and hot water tank off propane. Wouldn't electric be cheaper and they even have very efficient hot water tanks these days. I guess you have the expense of running the electric lines and the new hot water tank and stove, but you can get a used stove off craigslist for very little.

I am just curious do people do this because they want to heat the hot water tank fast and like a gas stove.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:57 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,499,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TricepsandBiceps View Post
First of all, THANK YOU to all who have answered my many questions over the past few months regarding builders, living in NE Florida, etc. Much appreciated! I'm very excited to close on the home and move to the region.

The house I bought uses electric for heating, but propane gas for the stove, fireplace, etc. I was reading about propane and everyone seems to recommend converting to natural gas but I have a few questions...

1) Is Julington Creek Plantation piped for natural gas, and if not, is it possible to get natural gas to that area? If so, how much would this cost?

2) The house currently has a propane tank leased by Sawyer gas. I have the option of either having it removed or continuing with the lease. Does anyone have any experience with Sawyer (reviews online were atrocious but I try to take them with a grain of salt), and if there are better gas companies, can you please let me know?

3) If I do go with a different company and have Sawyer remove the propane tank, how much does it typically cost to have a new one put in (assuming I lease it).

Thanks again for everyone's help! And apologies in advance for all the questions...
When you're doing your inspections (seems like you haven't closed yet) - check the location of the propane tank - that it's in a legal place. When we moved into our (new) rental house in the mid-90's - the builder had installed the tank in an illegal place (under a bedroom window). The gas people refused to fill the tank because it was illegal. The builder wound up having to move the tank to a legal location.

I would also have the tank inspected. Don't know what the rule is with large propane tanks - but the kind that you use on a BBQ are deemed unsafe after 12 years - and you can't get them refilled. Robyn

Old 07-12-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean1234 View Post
Thanks for the info! I actually called Teco Gas today (before I saw your post) and they told me the same thing. The former homeowners used Sawyer -- I know it's a major company but the online reviews were less than stellar, so now it is an issue of seeing how much it will cost to have another company put in a new tank if I decide to go that route. I may just keep Sawyer though if its the cheapest option. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: