Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 11:14 PM

140 posts, read 168,039 times

Advertisements

I loved driving until I moved here. For the first time in my life I am afraid of driving... Everytime I drive I almost get into an accident.... I have always been a careful driver and from defensive driving I turned into paranoid driving here lol...

Driving 20 mph over the posted speeding limit is the norm on every single road. I somehow got used to being cut off at the last minute without a turning signal but still not used to cars turning to the opposite direction of the turning signal... Aggressive driving is so out of control that cars try to pass you and get infront of you when you are just taking off seconds from a green light. Oh if you need to change your lane you are screwed because when they see you blinking they speed on purpose and never let you in. Because of that you need to know exactly where you are going and what lane you need to be on in Jacksonville since a lot of lanes either become a turning lane or merge into another lane out of nowhere as well.... Drivers here are extremely rude, aggressive and in a hurry all the time... I drove in bigger cities than Jax and never experienced this kind of madness... I almost never drive speeding limit anymore because of tailgating, middle finger showing drivers so I end up speeding just like everybody else. A lot of ppl cut you off when they are coming out of a strip mall or some sort of parking lot, making you slamming your breaks... I guess they don't care that much since rear ending is an automatic fault...

I also believe that drivers here don't care about pedestrians one bit...There are no sidewalks in my neighborhood so when cars are passing by when I walk my dog, they pass by so close even tho the road is empty and when you are crossing a street they speed over you or drive right infront of you or right behind you... because of this I almost got hit one day... Pedestrians always have the right of way and that is a universal law.

I actually wasn't going to bother to make this post until today when I saw this car speeding during the storm, he lost his control of the wheel and his car started spinning like crazy in the middle of the road... His tire blew off and then he hit a tree then he immediately turned around and took off!!!!! He didn't even stop or got out of his car to see what happened... The entire area was covered in smoke and burned plastic smell... and I was right there, frozen.... I am just so thankful that, that driver didn't kill me or my dog.... the neighbors came out all freaked out cause everything was so loud and so fast... It was just unbelievable....

I am not sure about the police supervision in Jacksonville about traffic crimes either because of the things ppl pull of on the roads on a daily basis that I mentioned earlier... Tampa police is very strict about traffic rules... I am just very disappointed and worried driving in Jacksonville or being a pedestrian in this city. I cannot believe that there is not a single post about this subject from ppl who moved here from other places... Oh well I am considering to carry holy water and Bible with me everytime I drive , maybe hang some angel miniatures on my mirror... I don't know how to feel safe anymore driving in this crazy ass city .... lmao

I apologize if there are a lot of grammer mistakes or it was too much of a long read, didn't have time to proof read. I just wanted to get this out of my chest 😔
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 06:00 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,360,377 times
And now you know why our auto insurance rates are so sky high! I have lived in many different parts of our fine country and I can say without a doubt the drivers here are the most aggressive I've ever seen. Jax is a blue collar city for the most part (something like only 20-25% of the population has Bachelor's degrees, or so I've read). Without sounding too politically incorrect, let's just say the lower educated folks tend to care less about their safety and certainly far less about the safety of those around them. Souped up cars, big trucks with huge engines and lifted tires everywhere here and to the uneducated, your car and the manner in which you drive equates to your manliness. And it's a "sink or swim" mentality with so many people like that on the road, it almost forces you to drive faster to keep up with the herd.

I'll stop there before I offend further.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:23 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
And now you know why our auto insurance rates are so sky high! I have lived in many different parts of our fine country and I can say without a doubt the drivers here are the most aggressive I've ever seen. Jax is a blue collar city for the most part (something like only 20-25% of the population has Bachelor's degrees, or so I've read). Without sounding too politically incorrect, let's just say the lower educated folks tend to care less about their safety and certainly far less about the safety of those around them. Souped up cars, big trucks with huge engines and lifted tires everywhere here and to the uneducated, your car and the manner in which you drive equates to your manliness. And it's a "sink or swim" mentality with so many people like that on the road, it almost forces you to drive faster to keep up with the herd.

I'll stop there before I offend further.
The main reason out auto insurance rates are higher than most places is the Personal Injury/PIP/"no fault" insurance that is required in Florida.

Just becasue someone is not college educated does not mean they care less about their safety of the safety of others. Younger people who have money to spend on suped up cars dont care as much

Old 07-27-2016, 07:58 AM

137 posts, read 177,136 times
Hi OP,

Yes they drive crazy here in North Florida. I see accidents daily during rush hour, bad--someone got hurt accidents. And I fear that I will be rear ended whenever I slow down to stop in traffic or a red light. Been here a year and am getting used to it, definitely drive defensively.

As for the supped up red neck cars, I hate them and the loud engines, especially when I am walking the dog. But most of the accidents I see are just regular sedans, SUV's, minivans, etc.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:20 AM

140 posts, read 168,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
big trucks with huge engines and lifted tires everywhere here
Yeah. Big trucks with super loud noise ( so annoying and dumb) are the worst... they must not care since they are an in a huge vehicle above from the ground and probably won't ever get hurt... another abusive thing I went thru, one night I am walking my dog again and this car passing by blows her horn at me like really long and aggressive btw it was 1 am.... there is nobody else outside but me and my dog walking on the sidewalk of course that horn scared me because it was so quite and I was minding my own biz.. still to this day I don't know why she did that... I am still pretty sure about lack of police supervision on the roads... I think because violent crime is so out of control here , they don't care about reckless driving that much so ppl think it's normal to drive here like that....

Old 07-27-2016, 10:12 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
My brother says that in Jax, using your turn signals is considered giving intelligence to the enemy.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:36 AM

23 posts, read 49,285 times
I lived in Jax for four years. I thought, "dang! These people are crazy!" Then I moved to Tallahassee. Jax is a piece of cake. I even had lived in Houston before moving to Florida.

OP, I sympathize with you. I now have panic attacks driving here. It's nuts.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:43 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,360,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
The main reason out auto insurance rates are higher than most places is the Personal Injury/PIP/"no fault" insurance that is required in Florida.

Just becasue someone is not college educated does not mean they care less about their safety of the safety of others. Younger people who have money to spend on suped up cars dont care as much
Why, then, do auto insurers and their infinite capacity to run #s charge LESS on premiums for college educated people?

https://coverhound.com/insurance-lea...nsurance-rates

Does Your Education Level Impact Your Car Insurance Rates?

Old 07-27-2016, 11:51 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,479 times
I don't know, I feel like the drivers are more aggressive in the Northeast part of the nation. When I lived in Southern California for 3 years, I think it was more or less just more congested than the drivers being aggressive.

I definitely do think they're aggressive here though. My fiancé has complained a lot about how angry she gets with drivers here. She says it's probably the only negative she's had with living here so far. I do notice that I get cut off here a lot. People don't think anything of pulling out from a stop sign and in front of you. The best is when there are literally no vehicles for 50-75 feet behind you and they decide to pull out like 5-10 feet right in front of you! I'm a little more forgiving if they step on the gas and quickly at least get to the speed limit. But it's really aggravating when they pull out and go 35-40 in 45 or something.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:39 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,151,144 times
Agree with the OP and others about aggressive drivers in this area. I'm from the northeast and it's definitely worse down here. As another poster mentioned, hardly anyone uses their turn signals and most could careless about pedestrians in the crosswalk. We would see 10 cars go by before someone finally stops. In fact a teenager on a bicycle was killed several weeks ago in PVB trying to cross 210 (just before the intercoastal) using the crosswalk. It's a shame someone had to die before the county finally gave the go-ahead to put up a high intensity flashing beacon at that location (scheduled to be installed in the next few months)....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville