Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 11:37 AM

2 posts, read 4,597 times

Advertisements

So, I've spent a good amount of time reading through lots of posts and trying to get as much information as possible... I'm hoping this forum can give me more information/suggestions that are specific to my situation.

-I'm moving to Jacksonville in May.
-I'm single and in my early 20's.
-I'd like to find a 1 or 2 bedroom house/apt/condo/townhouse in a good neighborhood.
-I'm a fan of coffee shops, unique restaurants, and Targets...
-I'll be working for a non profit, so my price range is not too high.
-I'm still undecided between renting or buying... I've never purchased a house before.
-My office will be downtown and I'd like to be somewhat close by.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll be down there in March to do more research.... Thanks in advance for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 08:47 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,465,931 times
My first thought is either Riverside or San Marco. Riverside is seeing an increase in crime though, so keep that in mind.

I would say definitely rent first. If you've never bought a home before, you don't want to jump into that in a market you're not familiar with. New job, new city - you have enough going on, worry about buying later.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:20 PM

9 posts, read 38,988 times
San Marco sounds like you. Nice neighbor hood, close to downtown, unique shops, restaurants etc. Prices can be a little high but look around and you'll find a good rental.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:12 PM

13 posts, read 37,037 times
Here's another vote for Riverside/Avondale and San Marco. Great non-chain (or local chain) restaurants and shops, and just a few minutes to downtown. AND they're pretty neighborhoods with big old trees dripping with Spanish moss.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:39 PM

16 posts, read 51,218 times
Hey there,

San Marco is awesome! I so wish we had looked for a rental around that area. Then again I love the beach and San Marco is probably a 30 min drive maybe longer with traffic. I would suggest you rent first because Jax is so huge that you'll want to take your time deciding on an area of town. I just moved here in November and still haven't seen all of Jax yet. Plus the housing market is only going to get worse this year so home prices should drop even more..maybe even into 09 from what I've heard.

If you're interested in networking/socializing in Jax then check out the "New to Jax" group on Facebook. It's just starting up so it's a great time to introduce yourself and begin meeting people here.

Login | Facebook (//www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8485833534 - broken link)

Good luck with the move and welcome to Jax!

Old 02-19-2008, 06:10 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,026,182 times
Renting would be a good suggestion until you get your feet wet. I concur with all the above that San Marco, Riverside areas are good choices.

As far as purchasing a home, you'll want to find a reputable lender. Keep in mind that mortgages have tightened their policies after the ARMs scandals, so you're going to need to save some money for a down payment, as well as "closing costs". A lender can explain all of that to you, and what you'll need to have for purchasing. And of course, keep that credit squeeky clean.

Good luck to you, and welcome to Jax!

Old 02-19-2008, 07:05 PM

541 posts, read 2,286,805 times
I see more 20 somethings in Riverside. I see more 30 somethings in San Marco.

San Marco has class written all over it. It is one of the only fully affluent neighborhoods in Jax. Riverside is a mix of urban-indie-hippyish people, gays, people with tattoos and piercings, and young professionals.

Either way both communities are very close to your work downtown.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:38 AM

2 posts, read 4,597 times
Thanks for all the input!

Another thing I'm coming to find out about myself is that I'm a bigger fan of newer properties than old ones. Are there new development in these areas for rent and for potential purchasing in the future? I'm finding a lot of beautiful older homes for sale and rent in San Marco & Riverside, but that's not what I'd prefer to be in.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:06 AM

541 posts, read 2,286,805 times
In the downtown area the only thing new will be condos. Plenty of them, I hear there are an excess of new condos in the downtown area.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:48 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,465,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax2008 View Post
Thanks for all the input!

Another thing I'm coming to find out about myself is that I'm a bigger fan of newer properties than old ones. Are there new development in these areas for rent and for potential purchasing in the future? I'm finding a lot of beautiful older homes for sale and rent in San Marco & Riverside, but that's not what I'd prefer to be in.
If you don't like older homes, that will really narrow your choices down in San Marco and Riverside. The old homes are what people like about those neighborhoods and they are intrinsic to the charm of the neighborhoods.

That being said, as Vdecapio said, there is some new construction infill in San Marco & Riverside and it's mostly condos. I don't really keep up with the condo market since it's not a housing style that would fit for my own lifestyle, but one that I find very attractive is 1661 Riverside:

1661 Riverside
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: