Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 10:31 PM

2,558 posts, read 6,460,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
Does that mean you step down into your shower? ("recessed into concrete slab")
Yeah, that's what ours does. Maybe a 2-3" step down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 10:32 PM

2,558 posts, read 6,460,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904jax View Post

Did your builder use steel rods that were set into the foundation and connected into the roof structure? These rods supposedly improve the integrity of the structure of our home, which should help in a hurricane.
I think that's code, now. Been that way for a while.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:23 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,379,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904jax View Post
It must be a builder specific thing. Our home is four (4) steps above the sidewalk level which is in turn above the street level. Out of curiosity, I measured the floor of our house in relationship to the street level. It sits three feet six inches above street level. It would be very hard to "puddle" water under our door which is a step up from the porch (the porch is four steps above the sidewalk). Fortunately, we were watertight during Matthew.
Our windows are watertight. I know that because I can shoot a hose at them when I'm washing them and they don't leak. Our sliding glass doors (we have 3) and front door - both raised above floor level and not directly exposed to the elements - I have to be a little more careful. More like a gentle shower than a fire hose when I'm washing them. Otherwise some water can seep under the bottom. That's ok by me. I'm not sure I want a house that's 100% airtight because of radon buildup.

I'm not sure how watertight anything is when your house is surrounded by 2-3-4+ feet of water of surging water. I've seen a video of what happened in our neighborhood during the storm. Cripes.

Quote:
We have that feature [step-down shower] as well. We like it.
I like it too. I guess at some point - if we age in place and get feeble enough - we might need some kind of ramp. But we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Quote:
Did your builder use steel rods that were set into the foundation and connected into the roof structure? These rods supposedly improve the integrity of the structure of our home, which should help in a hurricane.
If I recall correctly (it's been a while) - the steel rods (rebar) were set into the base of the stem wall (which I guess is part of the foundation) - and then run through our block walls and connected to the roof. I think that was perhaps part of the building code here when we built (1995-96) - but am not sure. I do know that it was part of the Miami/Dade County code then - and we built our house to that code. The codes here in SJC were - in general - pretty laughable in 1995. Wind code was 95 mph - even out here at the beaches (our house was engineered to 125 mph). Robyn

Old 10-21-2016, 06:24 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,379,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
Does that mean you step down into your shower? ("recessed into concrete slab")
Yes it does. Robyn

Old 10-21-2016, 12:18 PM

118 posts, read 339,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I'm not sure how watertight anything is when your house is surrounded by 2-3-4+ feet of water of surging water. I've seen a video of what happened in our neighborhood during the storm. Cripes. Robyn
No doubt. If I lived on the barrier island I would be concerned about flooding even with a well built foundation. If I lived on the ICW or beach, I would build my house on piers like they do in the Keys. Fortunately, sitting at 30 plus feet in Nocatee with modern drainage infrastructure provides some piece of mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville