Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 06:20 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times

Advertisements

We did ok - considering how high the storm surge was. Much much worse than during Hurricane Floyd in 1999. Best I can tell (from the water/debris lines) - the water came up from the Cabbage Creek marsh area and flooded most/all of our block (including the road and the houses across the street from us). I think most/all the garages were flooded - at least a little (including ours). And some houses were flooded too (not ours). We had a couple of small trees down (not on our house). A minor roof leak (which I thought we had fixed for good after a previous storm). Debris everywhere. On the bright side - we have power and water. Will take us a while to clean up - but we will be ok. Other people aren't as lucky...

Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 07:31 AM

294 posts, read 340,438 times
Our part of Neptune Beach- near Florida Street just east of Third- did good from what I can see. Just a couple fence post caps off and a damp towel I laid in front of our double doors to the backyard..... Our neighbor stayed and told us the power was out from 11 AM Friday to 1 AM Saturday. Not bad at all. The dunes are about 1/2 gone at the end of our street.

As I was driving back from Panama City yesterday I noticed the tall street lights were moved to the bottom of the poles. I did not realize they were mobile.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:12 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,498,609 times
https://goo.gl/photos/kCRSLhjSpZ426dzGA

Pics at that link^

No house damage at our place, but two trees were blown down and a large limb killed the trampoline. One of the fallen trees landed right where my truck would usually be parked. I moved it to the front yard on Thursday afternoon, as a precaution. After I saw a few other trees fall at neighboring houses, I watched this one swaying a little too close to the base, then decided I needed to move my truck a little further away. Right after I started the truck to move it, I looked to the right and the tree was coming down. As you can see if that pic, only the top of the tree slapped the side of the truck. It dente the A-pillar, cracked the windshield, and broke off the antenna. Close call!

The chicken coop and all the hens survived. We had zero damage to the new pool screen enclosure, which was a blessing. We lost power from about 1pm Friday thru 5am on Saturday, but my generator got us through that mild inconvenience. It was a scary/exciting event, altogether. It could have been really bad, had the storm come further west.

Most of my managed properties fared OK. Two properties reside on the west side of the intracoastal. One was flooded, for sure, but I don't yet know about the other one. About a dozen other properties experienced some minor roof leaks. No tree damage to structures, though. Mostly old fences that have fallen down.

Old 10-10-2016, 03:19 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornsch View Post
Our part of Neptune Beach- near Florida Street just east of Third- did good from what I can see. Just a couple fence post caps off and a damp towel I laid in front of our double doors to the backyard..... Our neighbor stayed and told us the power was out from 11 AM Friday to 1 AM Saturday. Not bad at all. The dunes are about 1/2 gone at the end of our street.

As I was driving back from Panama City yesterday I noticed the tall street lights were moved to the bottom of the poles. I did not realize they were mobile.
I noticed the street light thing too on JTB. Best I can recall - they're mobile to make it easier to change the bulbs. Doesn't hurt to move them all the way down when a storm is coming either.

Just curious - what is the elevation of your house above sea level (if you know)? Ours is about 8 feet - and we came "this close" to flooding (like less than a foot).

I have heard about various parts of town that flooded. Like the Sanctuary at JAX Beach. Also - parts of Riverside (which also didn't have power as of today). I have a friend in Riverside who not only got flooded and lost power - but also got looted when he/his wife evacuated for one night .

Overall - this wasn't a wind event. It was a storm surge/flooding event. Like I thought it would be. Just didn't realize how bad it would be (much worse than Hurricane Floyd in 1999). Robyn

Old 10-10-2016, 05:29 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,498,609 times
https://youtu.be/5CZy5lx3BF4

I forgot that my dash cam was recording. Here's what it captured.

Old 10-11-2016, 03:57 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,927,232 times
Glad you fared well. I feel lucky, I was expecting even worse. My fiancé was worried we'd have no place to come home too.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:04 AM

294 posts, read 340,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Just curious - what is the elevation of your house above sea level (if you know)? Ours is about 8 feet - and we came "this close" to flooding (like less than a foot).

Some elevation maps say 10 ft. Also, when my house was constructed in 2012, they tore down another structure and built up the land for whatever reason. The 4 houses that were build on the property are around 3-5 feet higher than street level, where most of the homes are level to the street.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:29 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,503,929 times
I'm 20 ft

Old 10-12-2016, 07:07 AM

284 posts, read 378,891 times
All good on St A. Beach

Old 10-12-2016, 09:59 AM

118 posts, read 341,108 times
We fared well in Nocatee. There was no flooding or power loss. Nocatee's elevation (30 plus feet at my location) plus world class drainage system made a big difference. 10 minutes from the ocean, but out of all evacuation zones.

Robyn55 commented on Nocatee and hurricanes early this summer: //www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...l#post44641932 Happy to report Nocatee passed it's first hurricane test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville