Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 04:01 PM

2 posts, read 6,971 times

Advertisements

Regarding the construction... Some of what they're doing is just plain stupid, but that's just my opinion. How long has the construction on I-4 been going on? The same construction is going on all over Florida, not just one area.
The graffiti is a sad sight, but how are they supposed to overcome it? They can remove it one day and before an hour is over, it'll be right back. A never ending battle right there.
Jacksonville does have some very beautiful areas that are not hard to find.

As far as the crime goes, well, ain't really nothing anybody can do about it. Crime is going to happen anywhere and at anytime. If you don't look for it, you'll probably never see it first hand. Unfortunately, I work for one of the largest substance abuse rehabs here, so I see a little bit more crime than the average person (I think).

All in all, Jax is definitely not a bad place. Yes, it does have it's problems, just like every other city in the US. The good actually does outweigh the bad around here though.

Never judge a book by it's cover. You'll never get the full enjoyment of the contents.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:47 PM

1,023 posts, read 3,330,178 times
I didn't get to read though all 12 pages of posts, but one of the reasons (living in Jax, not from Jax) that Jax crime appears to be higher than other cities is the news stations obsession with it, and with airing it. They air every single solitary little bit of crime that happens, so it appears to be overwhelming. Just my thought. Most of the rest of Florida refrains from doing so for fear of alarming the tourism crowd. Tourism isn't a big market in Jax, so I guess they don't care who they scare.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:10 AM

3 posts, read 7,284 times
Hi,

I've lived in Jax Beach since 1980. One of the things that people fail to realize is that Jacksonville is the Third Largest city on the East coast! I didn't know it was the largest city in Florida, I had always just taken it for granted that Orlando or Miami were larger cities.

Crime has escalated here to some degree as the population has grown.

Mr. Timm

Old 12-15-2007, 11:16 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Timm View Post
Hi,

I've lived in Jax Beach since 1980. One of the things that people fail to realize is that Jacksonville is the Third Largest city on the East coast! I didn't know it was the largest city in Florida, I had always just taken it for granted that Orlando or Miami were larger cities.

Crime has escalated here to some degree as the population has grown.

Mr. Timm
Only because of its massive land area in comparison to other city propers. Jacksonville proper is an entire county. If you look at metro area populations instead of city proper populations, Jacksonville is nowhere near the top. Both the Miami and Orlando metros are bigger in terms of population.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,634 times
Default I Grew Up Here........

Crime Is Out Of Control. The Police Can't Protect You. They Can Investigate After You And Your Loved One Is Dead And Maybe, Maybe Catch The Killer. The Police Know This, Believe Me, They Do. So Who Does That Leave To Protect You? Maybe You Liberals Should Look Up The Stats Before Spouting At What A Responsible, Giving, Caring, Etc, Resident You Are. I Support Every Cop That Has To Use His Firearm. Especially After An 18 Yr Old Shot A Cop In The Face, Ran Away, Turned Back And Shot The Cop 7 More Times. And His Parents Said He Was A Good Kid. The Only Protection You Have In Jax Or Anywhere Else In The U.s. Is Smith And Wesson, Ruger, Colt, Etc. Wakeup All You Than Live In A Self-righteous Bubble.
Lt.comm. U.s. Navy Seals

Old 02-28-2008, 01:44 PM

25 posts, read 92,730 times
I looked up the locale I would like to move to (found a decent rental there) and have used the COJ crime look-up as was listed in the sticky post on this forum, but it is coming up with almost NO crime listed for the area at all. I asked one woman who was sort of helping me look (I live in Tallahassee currently) and she said that is because crime rates for Jax Beach are not listed on the COJ crime look-up.

Can anyone tell me where to find a crime look-up FOR Jax beach area. I have looked and can't find anything. We are looking at the numbered Avenues a couple blocks from the beach. Thanks so much for your time, I appreciate it.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:19 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,509,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACDONALDO67 View Post
Just toying with the idea of getting out of England, Great Britain. I have visited the USA before, San Francisco, LA, Miami, The Keys, Hawaii and loved it. My wife enjoyed visiting the USA but is not keen on living over there.

Even if we passed Uncle Sam's Emigration tests, after reading some of the threads on here, is somewhat off putting. On top of that I would have to find work, preferably to do with the railway otherwise it's a no-go. What is the employment status like over there ?

I work on the railway over here in England so I would have to try and aim for a location that requires workers on a railway. I believe there is a big Railway Control centre in Jacksonville, which is what has brought me onto this thread.

In a nutshell people say that the north and west sides of Jax are dodgy. Someone has mentioned St.Augustine as a nice area. With us having 2 kids a quieter area is paramount.

Anyone have any details on areas near to Jax I can look into please ?

Nice writing to you guys over in Sunny Florida.
CSX is a great company dude. They would put you on with the quickness. Move to the south of the river and don't cross any of the 7 brigdes. lol Im just kidding about that, but the Southside is the safest side

Old 02-28-2008, 09:24 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,509,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando'an View Post
i have seen other parts of jax, and i like jax. all i said is that it could be a little nicer looking from i-95, as that is what most ppl see when driving through. i guess i care about aesthetics a little more than the average person. no reason to get huffy and puffy. i am a native, and i can speak my mind. also, and i'm sure this doesnt help, but construction has been going on there for years.
That's an interesting point man. I never really thought about that. Not many attractions via the interstates. hmmmm

Old 03-06-2008, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,538 times
Can anyone tell me ADAMS , JACKSONVILLE , FLORIDA ; 32208 is a safe area or crime area?

I might ask for more areas in JAX since I am looking at the house far sale listings.

Thanks.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:49 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,126,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarBeyondTheSun View Post
Can anyone tell me ADAMS , JACKSONVILLE , FLORIDA ; 32208 is a safe area or crime area?

I might ask for more areas in JAX since I am looking at the house far sale listings.

Thanks.
JSO mapped crime statistics may be found here: Crime Statistics

HOWEVER, their stats are not accurate. I have filed a public records request for calls from and to our subdivision and the information that I have recieved, for a specific period of time, is inaccurate- over half a dozen cases called in to JSO do not appear in their report- and these are just those of which I am personally aware.

Two calls that do not appear on the JSO records are reports of a group of four young men dressed in black going through private driveways in the neighborhood at 4:45am and a couple months later another group of four at 1:30a.m. The second group was carrying pillow cases and I gave the tag number to the truck they piled into when they saw me. Yet there is no record of my calls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville