Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 02:31 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,203,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
By all means cross Jax off your list if you choose to, it makes no difference to me, but you said it yourself - it's the thread that is alarming.

This is a forum of people's opinions - some of these people are intelligent, reasonable people and some are morons.

When the topic turns to crime, people will post to tell you that the sky is falling and bullets are flying all around them......oh, really ?

For most crimes to occur, there has to be an opportunity.

At home, I keep my doors and windows locked, my fence locked and my garage door down at all times. I lock my car doors as soon as I get in my car. Why? Because it's 2007.

No matter what city you choose, there will be crime on some level, so know where the worst parts of town are and don't live there, don't even live near there. Find the BEST parts of town and try to live THERE, or NEAR THERE. Then lock your doors, have your guard up, be smart and lessen the criminal's opportunities.

I've been in Jax/Jax area for appx a decade and no crime issues.
Many people set themselves up to be victims, I am amazed at all the reports I hear of car break ins at the beach, when will people learn that they should never keep valuables in their car and if they do, not to leave anything of value in plain sight.
How many women leave their purses in a shopping cart then turn their back on it to pick something off a shelf?
I could go on and on, and maybe my NYism is showing but a little common sense goes a long way.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:16 PM

6 posts, read 22,834 times
Thanks so much for the good feedback. Very true about walking in downtown Newark (NJ), etc. Didn't see it that way. I guess the tricky part here is to know which particular areas are bad. To get a better perspective, I also have to understand the fact that JAX is a big city. Most cities in NJ are small in comparison to it.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabitz View Post
Thanks so much for the good feedback. Very true about walking in downtown Newark (NJ), etc. Didn't see it that way. I guess the tricky part here is to know which particular areas are bad. To get a better perspective, I also have to understand the fact that JAX is a big city. Most cities in NJ are small in comparison to it.
all NJ cities are small in comparison

Old 06-26-2007, 03:29 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Quote:
Jax is big, but NYC is bigger, and you know what parts of NYC to stay out of I would imagine (you live close enough if you're in Patterson). Jax is even more manageable in that regard.

If you came to Jax and liked it, don't let people on a forum scare you from moving here. Jax is a city on the rise. People are moving here in droves - they would not be doing so if they thought their lives were in danger (and if they were all getting murdered, our population numbers would be going down, not up......ha !).

Old 06-29-2007, 01:50 AM

13 posts, read 56,907 times
Quote:
Jax is big, but NYC is bigger, and you know what parts of NYC to stay out of I would imagine (you live close enough if you're in Patterson). Jax is even more manageable in that regard.

If you came to Jax and liked it, don't let people on a forum scare you from moving here. Jax is a city on the rise. People are moving here in droves - they would not be doing so if they thought their lives were in danger (and if they were all getting murdered, our population numbers would be going down, not up......ha !).
jax is the most deadliest place in florida so you have no idea what you are talking about

Old 06-29-2007, 05:18 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,116,442 times
Quote:
By all means cross Jax off your list if you choose to, it makes no difference to me, but you said it yourself - it's the thread that is alarming.

This is a forum of people's opinions - some of these people are intelligent, reasonable people and some are morons.

When the topic turns to crime, people will post to tell you that the sky is falling and bullets are flying all around them......oh, really ?
I couldn't of said this better myself. Weigh the number of "doomsayers" againt the number of people that live here. What amazes me is that someone would take the word of 2 or 3 of these "doomsayers" to affect their decision on whether or not to move to an area.
It is easy to come to a forum and make statements like Jax is crime ridden, it's the deadliest place and so on. Yes there are places here in Jax that are bad but guess what stay away from them. Would I head out to NW jax at 1 in the morning ? No because I have no business being there.
A few of my volunteer projects have taken me to some of the "sketchier" area of town I went there with my eyes open my doors locked and never went alone. I never had a problem.
I lived in NJ for about 12 years total and have been to Patterson,East Orange and Newark.
I would not compare the Southside, intercoastal west or beaches to any of those areas.

Its your choice, if you visited and like the area come back for another visit, spend some time in the area you want to live. Unless I missed it you didn't mention what area of town you are looking to live in.

karla

Old 06-29-2007, 10:00 AM

265 posts, read 994,132 times
My 2 cents,
"Doomsayers" there are alot of them, and I am going to point my finger at the biggest one we have encountered. The "NEWS" I try not to watch the local news or for that matter the national news. I read the newspapers so I can choose what to be up to date about and what to stay in the dark about. We have noticed over time that the news channels here, and where we are from are the biggest doomsayers there are. Example today while watching the "Today" show our local news came on for their 5 minutes of fame. In those 5 minutes they talked about 2 items both murders, the wrestler, and the family in NW Jax. They followed the "Murder news" with the local forecast and then they were gone. So if I am to judge the area by their news coverage. We are expecting rain and "MURDER" (capitalized for effect). Something one of the news channels where we used to live is trying to do is bring more upbeat news to the masses. But it is this sensationalism of adultry, murder, and crime that they disseminate to the masses, this is sad. We lived outside of St. Louis Mo. before moving here and some of you may know St. Louis was cited as the most dangerous city in the US. I went to ballgames, farmers markets, and a littany of other events in the heart of this city without a problem. If you play your gut feeling in any area that feels sketch then you'll be all right. You know where to be and where not to be all you have to do is be aware of your surroundings. Sure there is the wrong place, wrong time crime but that is not what we are talking about. We have been galavanting (sp) around jax seeing the sites and enjoying the town. But I always keep an eye for an area that we should not be. I don't blame the "doomsayers" on this forum they are just regurgitating our wonderful local news.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:58 AM

6 posts, read 22,834 times
I am open to any areas, that is why I am trying to find out which areas are better. I plan to look for a job then move, if it ever materializes. I work in Accounting/Finance and for what I have heard there are good opts there.

So NorthWest is the bad area right? I dont' want to get it all wrong! LOL Some apartments are described to be on "westside" "southside" and Arlington. Are those the bad areas? The further south the better?

Old 06-29-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I am open to any areas, that is why I am trying to find out which areas are better. I plan to look for a job then move, if it ever materializes. I work in Accounting/Finance and for what I have heard there are good opts there.

So NorthWest is the bad area right? I dont' want to get it all wrong! LOL Some apartments are described to be on "westside" "southside" and Arlington. Are those the bad areas? The further south the better?
yes to all

Old 06-29-2007, 11:18 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Quote:

Many finance jobs will be found Downtown or on the Southside in the Baymeadows and Southpoint areas.

You're searching for the job first - and it could potentially end up anywhere - but there's a good chance it could end up where I mentioned above, and in that case, living on the general Southside of the city would be very convenient.

The general Southside is considered safe, has everything you would need, and it's nice (close to the beach too).

You could open your search up to neighborhoods like: San Marco, Lakewood, San Jose, Baymeadows area, Gate Parkway area, Intracoastal West, Beauclerc, Mandarin, the Beaches, etc.

If you end up working downtown, you could also consider living in some neighborhoods on the Westside such as Riverside/Avondale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville