Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 06:38 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,370,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVault1 View Post
If crocs roam the streets of Jacksonville stalking and eating pets then Elephants roam the streets of Tallahassee crushing vehicles in a stampede
Funny thing is, when we moved from Huntersville, NC down here, some of the people we told that we were moving down here told us "you do know there are alligators everywhere there and hurricanes as well."

Since moving here in January 09, we've seen one gater by a marsh at Goodby's Boat Landing. It looked to be a "teenager" size, but I was able to get a photo of it. Only other place was the Alligator Farm by St. Augustine.

As far as hurricanes go, only been thru one and that was the last one, Mathews. Actually, our apt. complex wasn't even in a evacuation zone. We stayed home, watched the wind blow and rain.

The two things that shock a lot of newcomers here is........the waterbugs and all the little lizards.

Now, people here in Jax, and probably all of Florida, think Colorado winters are the worst ever and wouldn't understand why anyone would move there. Well, they aren't the worst, compared to N. Dakota, Minnesota, Buffalo (NY) and Wisconsin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 09:42 AM

7 posts, read 8,509 times
You forgot to mention the Hurricane season, I have lived here for thirty years. I am looking for a safer place to live.
Check out the crime rate, the murder rate is going nowhere but up.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigail68 View Post
You forgot to mention the Hurricane season, I have lived here for thirty years. I am looking for a safer place to live.
Check out the crime rate, the murder rate is going nowhere but up.
I agree with you and that's "in part" reasons we are going to leave. Our goal is May of next year. Already packing things up.

However, there are those that will always love it here, no matter what the crime rate is like or how many tropical storms and/or hurricanes hit.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:32 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,119,805 times
I've had good memories living in Jacksonville, and I grew up in the Notorious Northside of Jacksonville. One thing about Jacksonville is that you learn real quick where not to go. Some of the residents in the worst areas of Jacksonville will let you know how dangerous their hood/side of town is, how it goes down, etc. As long as you don't slang on the block or have any vendettas against anyone, you can escape 99% of the crime in Jacksonville. I like Jacksonville becausae your money goes further here than in a lot of places, and it's growing while maintaining it's uniqueness.

While the murder rate is going up, remember that it's due to retaliation, and being involved in the drug business. As long as you're not thugging in the streets, you should be fine, and stay out of the ghettos.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
I've had good memories living in Jacksonville, and I grew up in the Notorious Northside of Jacksonville. One thing about Jacksonville is that you learn real quick where not to go. Some of the residents in the worst areas of Jacksonville will let you know how dangerous their hood/side of town is, how it goes down, etc. As long as you don't slang on the block or have any vendettas against anyone, you can escape 99% of the crime in Jacksonville. I like Jacksonville becausae your money goes further here than in a lot of places, and it's growing while maintaining it's uniqueness.

While the murder rate is going up, remember that it's due to retaliation, and being involved in the drug business. As long as you're not thugging in the streets, you should be fine, and stay out of the ghettos.
Actually, we'd rather live somewhere where there is NO ghettos. Yes, there are small cities in towns all over America that don't have ghetto areas.

Old 05-25-2018, 01:30 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,119,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Actually, we'd rather live somewhere where there is NO ghettos. Yes, there are small cities in towns all over America that don't have ghetto areas.
Doubtful. Small towns do have areas that resemble ghettos. There isn't a small town in this nation without a low income area. Double for small cities. Jacksonville has just over 900,000 in the city limits, so it's expected to have ghettos, let alone crime.

Old 05-25-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
Doubtful. Small towns do have areas that resemble ghettos. There isn't a small town in this nation without a low income area. Double for small cities. Jacksonville has just over 900,000 in the city limits, so it's expected to have ghettos, let alone crime.
Ok, have you ever been anywhere in Colorado, obviously outside of Denver metro? Ever been anywhere in Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, the Dakota’s or parts of Nebraska or Kansas? I
have!! Vehicle windows rolled down and left unlocked in shopping centers. That shocked me, because I had lived in Orange and Los Angeles Counties in So Calif where vehicles were always locked and window rolled up. But, I was driving thru a shopping center in Cheyenne, Wyoming and seen it with my own eyes. And, today, it still that way in areas of those states.

When I went back to So Calif and told people what I’d seen, they said, “no way!” I looked at them and said, “ever been to Cheyenne, Wyoming or any of those mountain or central plains states?”, they said, “no”. “So, how in the heck do you know what it’s like there?” All they could say is “sorry, I was wrong”.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:51 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,742,532 times
As a transplant from the Gateway to the West city- I personally love JAX! I just plain love the south as people are way friendlier and the weather much more comfortable all year round. Jacksonville is a great city because it seems to offer something for everyone, almost cities within cities such as the Beaches is total coastal living yet one could live in Riverside and not realize there are in a coastal city at all while surrounded by historic homes built in the 1920's-'30s or you could live further out in newer neighborhoods in Nocatee. I live in the intra- coastal area and for me it is perfect- not quit at the beaches but so close I am at the beach in 8 minutes and if spirited enough could ride a bike.

Housing like most cities has risen due to lack of inventory so you may have trouble finding a house or spending more than originally intended.

Traffic is again like most major cities- rush hour nightmares no matter what part of town you live in. It's always kind of funny to me that it seems people living in one part of town of course work on the other end and vice versa as highways are clogged going in both directions- again that situation is in every city so if possible or lucky to work near where you live. Highway construction here in JAX is like every other city I've been too- constant and seems never ending.

Employment is becoming more abundant as more companies have chosen JAX as place to either have headquarters or expansions that is bringing in more people hence causing more strain on current house hunters.

Health care- we have Mayo Clinic one of the best treatment centers in the country!

Bugs- sure but I cannot say I see any more than I did in the Midwest, that's what bug spray is for or hoping you have plenty of those little lizards around and maybe a snake or two.

Alligators- I have seen a few small younger ones in ponds but they behave like most other animals where they will quickly evade if you approach them. Now I wouldn't go wading in one of those ponds or let small animals or children near- I would be more concerned about a water moccasin biting you than an alligator.

Crime- don't watch the news and you'll think you live in the most peaceful city. I guess since I am from the now listed as most dangerous city in the US, I find JAX pretty typical in the crime- shootings in which there is a constant war going on in the blighted area's for turf, market share etc.

As you can tell, I am really happy I moved to jax as I have made many new friends, ditched the winter coat and have many nearby getaway cities for mini vacations such as Savannah, Charleston, Orlando etc. etc. Make the move if you so desire and ignore some these negative posts

Old 05-26-2018, 06:22 AM

989 posts, read 769,314 times
We are getting a little over built in St. Johns county. (More desirable than Duval and Nassau). But quality of life is a lot better here. People naturally want to put off any newcomers. Others are just Naysayers who no matter where they live the grass is ALWAYS greener where they are to any place else.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
As a transplant from the Gateway to the West city- I personally love JAX! I just plain love the south as people are way friendlier and the weather much more comfortable all year round. Jacksonville is a great city because it seems to offer something for everyone, almost cities within cities such as the Beaches is total coastal living yet one could live in Riverside and not realize there are in a coastal city at all while surrounded by historic homes built in the 1920's-'30s or you could live further out in newer neighborhoods in Nocatee. I live in the intra- coastal area and for me it is perfect- not quit at the beaches but so close I am at the beach in 8 minutes and if spirited enough could ride a bike.

Housing like most cities has risen due to lack of inventory so you may have trouble finding a house or spending more than originally intended.

Traffic is again like most major cities- rush hour nightmares no matter what part of town you live in. It's always kind of funny to me that it seems people living in one part of town of course work on the other end and vice versa as highways are clogged going in both directions- again that situation is in every city so if possible or lucky to work near where you live. Highway construction here in JAX is like every other city I've been too- constant and seems never ending.

Employment is becoming more abundant as more companies have chosen JAX as place to either have headquarters or expansions that is bringing in more people hence causing more strain on current house hunters.

Health care- we have Mayo Clinic one of the best treatment centers in the country!

Bugs- sure but I cannot say I see any more than I did in the Midwest, that's what bug spray is for or hoping you have plenty of those little lizards around and maybe a snake or two.

Alligators- I have seen a few small younger ones in ponds but they behave like most other animals where they will quickly evade if you approach them. Now I wouldn't go wading in one of those ponds or let small animals or children near- I would be more concerned about a water moccasin biting you than an alligator.

Crime- don't watch the news and you'll think you live in the most peaceful city. I guess since I am from the now listed as most dangerous city in the US, I find JAX pretty typical in the crime- shootings in which there is a constant war going on in the blighted area's for turf, market share etc.

As you can tell, I am really happy I moved to jax as I have made many new friends, ditched the winter coat and have many nearby getaway cities for mini vacations such as Savannah, Charleston, Orlando etc. etc. Make the move if you so desire and ignore some these negative posts
Jax is nice for many, but like other cities in the U.S., not for others! Jax isn’t “Utopia”, but is ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville