Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 06:20 AM

319 posts, read 360,697 times

Advertisements

Hi all, we are considering a move to Fruit Cove which I believe encompasses Julington and Durbin among others. In light of the recent storm I'm curious as to how FC faired ? And as well what are the costs for homeowners/flood insurance as compared to other areas ? Also would FC be an area where flood ins is required ? I came across a 'Surge' map which appears to show FC is not largely affected except for around the St Johns and Julington and Cunningham Creeks. Is this relatively accurate ?

http://jacksonville.com/sites/defaul...jpg?1304965472

Also as we're getting on in years how is this area for medical care? I believe Baptist Medical Center South is the closest hospital. Is this considered a good hospital ? And are there other closer options such as smaller medical clinics available ? I came across the Ackerman Cancer Center which had very good ratings. As my mother recently had a bout with cancer it's good know it's there though God willing we will never need their services.

And lastly shopping... food, big box ect. how are the stores in the immediate area ? I see a lot of options on 13 and Race Track, how are they ? And how is the traffic ? As a NYer I have a lot of stores to choose from, but getting to them is quit another thing !

We are looking for a small one bedroom townhouse for the parents and a small 2-3 bedroom home for myself at around 300k each... is this doable ?

Thank you....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 05:50 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,360,377 times
Most all of Fruit Cove is not in a flood zone unless the home is near the creeks or the St Johns River. Also, Durbin Crossing is not in Fruit Cove, although it's fairly close. The entire area fared very well for the most part after Matthew. I know some folks on SR 13 were without power for an extended period of time after the storm, but the vast majority of the rest of the people in that area never lost power at all (or only briefly) and damage was pretty minimal.

Shopping is mostly limited to the Mandarin area currently. You'll find lots of chain restaurants plus the staples like Wal-Mart and Target. The Durbin Park development is slated to be finished in a few years, which will be a game changer to our area. It will be closer to the neighborhoods around Durbin Crossing, but not far from Fruit Cove. If you search and find the Town Center in jacksonville, it will be larger than that development.

Traffic is getting worse and worse. SR13 turns into San Jose after the julington bridge and it's one of the busiest/messiest roads in Jacksonville if you're driving on it during peak times. It's still nowhere near Blanding Blvd but with all the new housing being built I fear that road will continue to get more and more congested. Finishing SR9B will help ease traffic from the 210 corridor a bit but as with most large cities it's an issue.

You will have no problems at all buying 3 bedroom townhomes for $300K. There are a number going up now in the Durbin neighborhood and I believe they're in the low $200s. A 1 bed can be had in the high $100s. There are some also being built in the Aberdeen neighborood off of Longleaf Pine, you might want to consider those as well.

I will let someone else chime in re: the hospitals. Good luck and welcome!

Old 11-14-2016, 02:56 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextExit40Miles View Post
Hi all, we are considering a move to Fruit Cove which I believe encompasses Julington and Durbin among others. In light of the recent storm I'm curious as to how FC faired ? And as well what are the costs for homeowners/flood insurance as compared to other areas ? Also would FC be an area where flood ins is required ? I came across a 'Surge' map which appears to show FC is not largely affected except for around the St Johns and Julington and Cunningham Creeks. Is this relatively accurate ?

http://jacksonville.com/sites/defaul...jpg?1304965472

Also as we're getting on in years how is this area for medical care? I believe Baptist Medical Center South is the closest hospital. Is this considered a good hospital ? And are there other closer options such as smaller medical clinics available ? I came across the Ackerman Cancer Center which had very good ratings. As my mother recently had a bout with cancer it's good know it's there though God willing we will never need their services.

And lastly shopping... food, big box ect. how are the stores in the immediate area ? I see a lot of options on 13 and Race Track, how are they ? And how is the traffic ? As a NYer I have a lot of stores to choose from, but getting to them is quit another thing !

We are looking for a small one bedroom townhouse for the parents and a small 2-3 bedroom home for myself at around 300k each... is this doable ?

Thank you....
How old are you? Are you on Medicare? Makes a (big) difference in terms of medical care. If you're not on Medicare - what do you plan to do about health insurance?

I would buy flood insurance no matter where I lived here in the metro area. It's relatively inexpensive.

Note that - at least IMO - Fruit Cove doesn't include Julington Creek or Durbin Crossing.

The largest shopping area closest to Fruit Cove is in Mandarin. Where the traffic - at least IMO - is pretty awful. It's not as bad here where I live - but here where I live it has certainly gotten worse over the course of the last 20 years.

What is your motivation for moving from New York? Robyn

Old 11-15-2016, 02:38 PM

Florida2014 thank you for your very informative response. Yes hopefully someone will share their opinion on the Baptist Medical Center South.

The Durbin Park development sounds very interesting. Where will this be located ? And could you elaborate on in what way do you believe it will be a game changer ?

Robyn, thank you. I'm a few years away from Medicare. As I explore the possibilities of moving to various states I'm hoping to hear from Ex-NYers from those states here on CD as to how they addressed the healthcare situation. CD is a great resource, hopefully NY retirees in Jax will shed some light on their experience with switching over to Florida healthcare.

I'm a NYC retiree and currently have GHI and BlueCross/BlueShield. I would think that with the number of NYC retirees in Florida it is doable. Are there any known groups or organizations of exNYers there that might be able to offer some advice ?

I suppose my motivation isn't very different from many others. However I will add that IMHO NY has very much changed and I'd like to find something more to my liking.

Old 11-16-2016, 04:53 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
Florida2014 thank you for your very informative response. Yes hopefully someone will share their opinion on the Baptist Medical Center South.

The Durbin Park development sounds very interesting. Where will this be located ? And could you elaborate on in what way do you believe it will be a game changer ?

Robyn, thank you. I'm a few years away from Medicare. As I explore the possibilities of moving to various states I'm hoping to hear from Ex-NYers from those states here on CD as to how they addressed the healthcare situation. CD is a great resource, hopefully NY retirees in Jax will shed some light on their experience with switching over to Florida healthcare.

I'm a NYC retiree and currently have GHI and BlueCross/BlueShield. I would think that with the number of NYC retirees in Florida it is doable. Are there any known groups or organizations of exNYers there that might be able to offer some advice ?

I suppose my motivation isn't very different from many others. However I will add that IMHO NY has very much changed and I'd like to find something more to my liking.
I recall some discussions here over the years about doctors in this area who are in/not in network for retired NYC government workers. The last I recall - perhaps a year or so ago - was that it was relatively hard to find "in network" doctors up here (easier in south Florida). I think you'll have to check provider by provider. Robyn

Old 11-16-2016, 05:46 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,360,377 times
Quote:

Because as it stands there are not many good options in the area for shopping, dining and/or entertainment. All of those things are in Jacksonville and to a lesser extent St Augustine, which are both 20-30 minute drives on a good day with no traffic (double that during rush hour or if there is an accident, which happens every other day on the interstates here). The Durbin Park development is slated to be completed in 2018 and will have all of those things within 10-12 minutes of neighborhoods like Julington Creek, Durbin Crossing, St Johns Forest, etc. But still far enough away to hopefully not draw too much traffic to our neighborhoods.

There are also other developments happening such as the retail space on the corner of CR 210 and CR 2209 and another one called "CR210 Town Center" that will be 400,000 sq feet of theater/retail space. The later is still being reviewed and is not yet set in stone.

All in all I think it's a great time to move to the area before all of this is built out. I think this will have a positive impact on home prices and give us all more options vs. having to make the dreaded drive into Jacksonville or St Augustine.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I recall some discussions here over the years about doctors in this area who are in/not in network for retired NYC government workers. The last I recall - perhaps a year or so ago - was that it was relatively hard to find "in network" doctors up here (easier in south Florida). I think you'll have to check provider by provider. Robyn

I searched the GHI website and did in fact come across a few doctors who accept GHI-CBP. Not sure if they are taking new patients, but it's a start. Some were in the Orange Park and Fleming Isl area. Others near Baptist South. Not exactly close to the area I'm looking at, but...
Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
All in all I think it's a great time to move to the area before all of this is built out. I think this will have a positive impact on home prices and give us all more options vs. having to make the dreaded drive into Jacksonville or St Augustine.

Thanks Florida that sounds great.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:30 PM

466 posts, read 700,568 times
Post office and some other places consider JCP to be in Fruit Cove. However, I agree Durbin is too far East to be considered Fruit Cove.

I live off of Race Track and did not lose power during the recent storm. I have flood insurance and it's relatively inexpensive as I'm not on a flood plain.

Homeowners insurance will be expensive and a lot of the national carriers do not provide it for Florida homes.

Baptist South is a good hospital. There's a mini-ER from the Memorial Hospital group on Race Track which seems to be okay too for minor stuff. There are smaller clinics in the area, mostly on SR-13/San Jose. Baptist primary care has a few offices and there are other private groups as well.

Fruit Cove is the definition of a bedroom community. There's stuff on the corner of Race Track and San Jose but mostly have to drive awhile to get to certain stores.

I wouldn't try doing a left turn onto Race Track without a light at 5 PM but otherwise traffic is manageable.

Definitely should be able to get a townhouse for under $300k in this area.

Good luck with the potential move! Lots of people from NY/NJ settling in this area.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMH View Post
Post office and some other places consider JCP to be in Fruit Cove. However, I agree Durbin is too far East to be considered Fruit Cove.

I live off of Race Track and did not lose power during the recent storm. I have flood insurance and it's relatively inexpensive as I'm not on a flood plain.

Homeowners insurance will be expensive and a lot of the national carriers do not provide it for Florida homes.

Baptist South is a good hospital. There's a mini-ER from the Memorial Hospital group on Race Track which seems to be okay too for minor stuff. There are smaller clinics in the area, mostly on SR-13/San Jose. Baptist primary care has a few offices and there are other private groups as well.

Fruit Cove is the definition of a bedroom community. There's stuff on the corner of Race Track and San Jose but mostly have to drive awhile to get to certain stores.

I wouldn't try doing a left turn onto Race Track without a light at 5 PM but otherwise traffic is manageable.

Definitely should be able to get a townhouse for under $300k in this area.

Good luck with the potential move! Lots of people from NY/NJ settling in this area.

For what it's worth Google maps shows FC runs from the St Johns to Veterans Pkwy.

What should one expect to pay for homeowners ins on a typical 3 bd 2 bth ranch style home ? And who are the carriers that insure that area ?

As to your area, where exactly are the 'flood plains' ? I'll be looking, at least initially, near Julington and Durbin. Though as Florida 2014 had said there are other areas coming about in the near future. I will certainly keep that into consideration as I will probably rent for a year or so to get a better idea of what area would work best.

Yes I noticed the intersection of 13 and Race Track has all the essentials which is very convenient. Big box stores are a little further away. However they are in fact still closer there than here where I now live. So that's a plus.

Thank you, I just need to convince the others !

Old 11-28-2016, 09:27 PM

466 posts, read 700,568 times
Here's a map of the flood levels, I'm just outside one of the yellow hash marks:
http://www.co.st-johns.fl.us/FloodFa..._Zones_web.pdf

I use ASI and my neighbor uses Tower Hill for homeowner's insurance, so that's at least two names to get you started. No idea about the rates, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville