U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-26-2016, 01:25 PM
 
232 posts, read 167,900 times
Reputation: 123

Advertisements

I just came across this and was curious as to how this will affect the immediate area... both good and bad ?

I am primarily interested in that Julington and Durbin are communities I am currently looking at. And although it will bring many positives such as expanding the tax base and jobs, how will this affect things such as traffic, congestion, property values ect ?

NE40



Quote:
The plan for Durbin Park includes an estimated 2.4 million square feet of retail, 2.8 million square feet of office space, 999 multi-family units and 350 hotel rooms once completed.
Durbin Park is located along Interstate 95 near the new State Road 9B-County Road 2209 interchange that is under construction.
The development has been planned for several years. It was previously referred to as Durbin Creek National LLC Urban Service Area.
The County Commission gave final approval to the land as an Urban Service Area in February 2015.
The first phase of the project, located on an 80-acre parcel west of the S.R. 9B-C.R. 2209 interchange, will include approximately 700,000 square feet of retail space anchored by at least three big box retailers.
Phase I is projected to open in the second quarter of 2018.
A development like Durbin Park has been sought after by the county because it is primarily a commercial endeavor that will expand the county’s tax base without adding as much demand for services such as schools.

Developer says Durbin Park mixed-use development will open in 2018
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-27-2016, 07:53 AM
 
5,309 posts, read 3,729,046 times
Reputation: 9833
I don't think there is any question it will bring more traffic to an already fairly congested area; however, Race Track Road is being expanded and with 9B being completed it should provide much needed relief to roads like Bartram, Phillips Hwy, Race Track and CR 210. There are also still tons of houses being built...including multi-family townhomes......so the traffic will increase due to that as well.

In terms of property values, it was a question I posed here a while ago when we were considering purchasing here and the consensus was that it would be a boost to property values to have this development so close. There are a thousand other factors that play into property values but I would agree that having retail, food, shopping, etc. close by will help with property values, as will having 9B completed which should make trips to downtown, the beaches, the Town Center quite a bit faster and more tolerable.

I think the word is already out, though, so the premium has already been built into many of the homes in this area. If you're going to buy I'd do it pronto as the values will continue to increase, as will interest rates (as they just did a quarter point).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2016, 09:06 AM
 
232 posts, read 167,900 times
Reputation: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I don't think there is any question it will bring more traffic to an already fairly congested area; however, Race Track Road is being expanded and with 9B being completed it should provide much needed relief to roads like Bartram, Phillips Hwy, Race Track and CR 210. There are also still tons of houses being built...including multi-family townhomes......so the traffic will increase due to that as well.

In terms of property values, it was a question I posed here a while ago when we were considering purchasing here and the consensus was that it would be a boost to property values to have this development so close. There are a thousand other factors that play into property values but I would agree that having retail, food, shopping, etc. close by will help with property values, as will having 9B completed which should make trips to downtown, the beaches, the Town Center quite a bit faster and more tolerable.

I think the word is already out, though, so the premium has already been built into many of the homes in this area. If you're going to buy I'd do it pronto as the values will continue to increase, as will interest rates (as they just did a quarter point).

Thanks Florida2014,

I guess it's a matter of good planning and execution. I know of two retail developments added near residential areas here in NY that had a negative impact. They brought more traffic, congestion and crime into the area and property values went down. There were no improvements to the roads and a lot has been said as to the types of businesses attributing to the problems. Walmart and Home Depot among others. Though it seems they are making every effort to avoid that there in St Johns, which is nice to see. Is there any word as to who or what types of retail will be coming in ?

Also, I noticed there doesn't seem to be an entrance onto 95 from Race Track. It seems the only access is from either 210 or Bartram. Is this correct, and will this be added with the completion of 9B ?

NE40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2016, 10:26 AM
 
5,309 posts, read 3,729,046 times
Reputation: 9833
I have heard whispers that a WalMart might be in the works for that development and I've read the studies about it affecting property values negatively, but I'm hoping for the best. I think the bigger factor is the continued development in the area. If you have a house for sale and it's a 4 bed, 3 bath, 2200 square foot cookie cutter house that is 10 years old you're going to be up against a ton of either brand new houses or recently new builds. As long as folks continue to move here it shouldn't matter but at some point this growth has to slow down.

There is no entrance from Race Track to 95. It is too close to the existing exit on CR210 so it will never be made into an on/off ramp. So you have CR 210, Old St Augustine, Phillips and now 9B as access points to/from 95 in the immediate area. Right now 210 is a mess and they even just completed an expansion of that road. If you live in St Johns Forest and try to exit left off of that road you might never leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2016, 12:02 PM
 
1,209 posts, read 1,501,528 times
Reputation: 1974
Funny, I was going to post about Durbin Park today and I saw someone beat me to it. ����
What i would like to ask though is what do people that live there think of this development ? Do you think it is beneficial to the area? Are you worried about traffic, or do you think it will stay the same based on the road projects that are under way or being developed ( First Coast Expressway, Route 2209 southern extension, Route 9B, etc)

We are moving to the area in The summer and i unstand the need for these projects, but i just dont want St Johns to lose its semi rural character. I guess a better way of putting it is I dont want northern St Johns county to become another Long Island ( LI basically being the poster child for eveything wrong with suburbia and urban sprawl)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2016, 12:11 PM
 
5,309 posts, read 3,729,046 times
Reputation: 9833
Personally I love it. While I live in suburbia I don't consider myself a suburban person and love that there will be more to see and do in our area. I am not worried about traffic because with growth that is expected and you can't have one without the other. I'll take an extra 10 minutes in the car close to home not to have to drive to the Town Center or through Mandarin for a Target or some restaurants.

The road projects in place now should help things a bit too. I don't know that the northern part of the county really feels rural at all any more but I have only lived here for 3 years and in those 3 years it has just exploded. Seemingly a new development sprouts up every month. But the county is enormous and there are many rural parts of SJC still in existence if that is what you are seeking, you'll likely need to head further south though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2016, 06:33 PM
 
1,209 posts, read 1,501,528 times
Reputation: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Personally I love it. While I live in suburbia I don't consider myself a suburban person and love that there will be more to see and do in our area. I am not worried about traffic because with growth that is expected and you can't have one without the other. I'll take an extra 10 minutes in the car close to home not to have to drive to the Town Center or through Mandarin for a Target or some restaurants.

The road projects in place now should help things a bit too. I don't know that the northern part of the county really feels rural at all any more but I have only lived here for 3 years and in those 3 years it has just exploded. Seemingly a new development sprouts up every month. But the county is enormous and there are many rural parts of SJC still in existence if that is what you are seeking, you'll likely need to head further south though.


Thank you for the info. Very informative. We will be in the northwest part of SJC. We visitied 2 summers ago and loved it. Last summer we saw how much the home prices went up so we decided to buy. We'll be there in june or july hopefully
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2017, 04:53 PM
 
5,309 posts, read 3,729,046 times
Reputation: 9833
Welcome! I think you'll enjoy it here. Today was 82 degrees, I have my windows open now at 7pm at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2017, 10:52 PM
 
1,209 posts, read 1,501,528 times
Reputation: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Welcome! I think you'll enjoy it here. Today was 82 degrees, I have my windows open now at 7pm at night.
Please.. You dont have to tell me. It was 25 degrees today and i just want to be in florida already
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:15 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top