Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 04:28 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,940,898 times

Advertisements

if you don't have a job you really shouldn't come to jax to find one, fla is not really a place that people come to in order to make their fortunes, they're either xfered here or they've made their money elswhere and than came here.
If you're having a tough time finding a job or making money in NJ it more than likely wouldn't be any easier in JAX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 04:42 PM

754 posts, read 2,805,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
if you don't have a job you really shouldn't come to jax to find one, fla is not really a place that people come to in order to make their fortunes, they're either xfered here or they've made their money elswhere and than came here.
If you're having a tough time finding a job or making money in NJ it more than likely wouldn't be any easier in JAX
I agree with this part: "if you don't have a job you really shouldn't come to jax to find one." Line a job up from afar before moving, if possible.

I disagree with this part: "If you're having a tough time finding a job or making money in NJ it more than likely wouldn't be any easier in JAX." If the job market in NJ is depressed, you should check other job markets. Just because NJ jobs are scarce doesn't mean FL jobs are, too.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:19 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,940,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninclay View Post
I agree with this part: "if you don't have a job you really shouldn't come to jax to find one." Line a job up from afar before moving, if possible.

I disagree with this part: "If you're having a tough time finding a job or making money in NJ it more than likely wouldn't be any easier in JAX." If the job market in NJ is depressed, you should check other job markets. Just because NJ jobs are scarce doesn't mean FL jobs are, too.
one thing you are missing about NJ is that it is adjacent to NYC in the north and Philadelphia in the south. Both those places are huge employment centers.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:16 AM

754 posts, read 2,805,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
one thing you are missing about NJ is that it is adjacent to NYC in the north and Philadelphia in the south. Both those places are huge employment centers.
That's probably true, but it's not the point. Job markets are different everywhere. You'd have no trouble getting a job in Apalachicola (in the panhandle) if you were looking for a shrimping, fishing, or oystering gig. Anything else there, though, is scarce.

Also, my hometown of Memphis is bigger than Jax (population-wise), but the IT market in Memphis is bad compared to Jax.

Plus, I didn't catch where the guy lives in NJ. If he doesn't live near NYC or Philly, then he may be hosed.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:36 PM

49 posts, read 270,476 times
I agree with what everyone said here. Cost of living is much cheaper in Jax and you don't have the high property taxes. The availability of the beaches are awesome. Depending on where you choose to live, you can be anywhere from a few feet to 20 minutes away from the beach. And just wait until you lived in Jax during the months of February, March and April. You'll feel like you died and are living in heaven. The weather is absolutely glorious. No doubt about it, summers are very hot and can be humid. But unlike the Northeast, it rains like clockwork in Florida every afternoon around the same time cooling everything down. (You'll quickly discover why Florida seniors consistently do all their errands in the summer early in the morning and at dusk.) And the thunderstorms are pretty spectacular. And don't forget, most of the newer homes and apartments have central air.

We lived 7 years in Jax area and wish we didn't have to leave. I should say, jobs are very, very tough to find unless you work in the medical or banking industry. Especially banking.............jobs are abundant. Citicard is huge employer and they are always looking. It sounds like Jax maybe a great fit for you guys. Also, I don't know what your wife was getting paid, but, you should expect a lower salary. However, I should say, that all the jobs we found in Jax within the banking industry paid pretty well.

Ideal situation......would be to get transferred down with a Northeastern salary while living in Jax. Perhaps your wife works for one of the banks that run up and down the east coast and she could transfer down.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:59 AM

272 posts, read 998,015 times
While Citi is hiring in some areas, they are also laying off a lot as well. It's not impossible to find a job being from out of market...I did it when we moved to VA, but we moved back because our house didn't sell (it's ok, we missed Jax anyway). However, if you have the skills and experience, companies are always looking to hire quality people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville