U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 10:08 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,507,168 times

Advertisements

Time to pack your bags...politicians ruined a great area once again all for greed...

Wal-Mart, Home Depot in first phase of Pavilion at Durbin Park; Bass Pro Shops in second phase
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 05:54 AM

5,345 posts, read 3,758,368 times
I know it's fun to bash Wal-Mart, but it is REALLY going to be that bad? I hear people online claiming they're going to move away now that it's nearby. Really? Where would you move to that does not have a Wal-Mart close by???? I count 23 in the Jax and surrounding neighborhoods.

Ponte Vedra Beach is about your only option. And, in fact, this Durbin development is a short 12 minute car ride to PVB, as is an existing Wal-Mart in Jax Beach. So the unfortunate reality is you'll never be too far from a Wal-Mart.

It won't be that bad, really. Ignore the lunatics online. You should be far more concerned about all of the multi-family units being built up around our area. THAT is what will draw in more low-income people and traffic to the area, not a retail store like this.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:30 AM

2,464 posts, read 5,528,983 times
The domain "www.peopelofdurbinparkwalmart.com" is still available! Go buy it, now!

Old 02-03-2017, 07:19 AM

3,901 posts, read 2,126,193 times
Some of the Walmarts here are quite nice, especially the new superstores. In lieu of Walmart who would you suggest? Target?

Old 02-03-2017, 09:19 AM

75 posts, read 80,824 times
All I have to say is that I am thrilled that there are two of them within 5 miles of me. The difference in prices between their grocery items and Publix is considerable. Sometimes as much as $1.00 per item. Prescriptions are much less than CVS. Thank goodness for Walmart as they allow me to save more money!!!! Plus, now they have it when you can order online and they text you when your order is ready. You pull up and they load the groceries for you. At no extra cost!!!!

Old 02-03-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Some of the Walmarts here are quite nice, especially the new superstores. In lieu of Walmart who would you suggest? Target?
The women in my neighborhood seem to be clamoring for a Target vs a Wal-Mart. I guess I don't see a huge difference other than slightly higher prices. But admittedly I don't shop at either store very often. Here is a comparison of the two from one area:

Business Insider compared prices on 31 identical items at Walmart and Target stores in Richmond, Virginia, to find out which store was cheaper. The total basket at Walmart cost $95.98, compared to $110.25 at Target. ... "Overall, Target's grocery business is around 15% the size of Walmart's," the Moody's analysts noted.Oct 10, 2016

Old 02-03-2017, 12:42 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,385,209 times
This thread reminded me of this article from last year:

"Which superstore offers home owners the best returns on home prices? Target is more likely, a new study concludes"

Target vs. Walmart: The Best for Home Prices? | Realtor Magazine

This study kind of goes out the window for the Hodges/Beach Blvd area in Jax since Walmart and Target are across the street from one another. I shop at both and the customer base is completely different. It's a lot like Costco vs Sam's comparison.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:51 PM

4,937 posts, read 5,920,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I know it's fun to bash Wal-Mart, but it is REALLY going to be that bad? I hear people online claiming they're going to move away now that it's nearby. Really? Where would you move to that does not have a Wal-Mart close by????
It's one thing if a store opens "nearby" as in a few miles and another thing if it's a block or two away.

When a Super Target opened up about a block from me I was thrilled.

The neighborhood went from being really quiet and awesome.... to a significant jump in crime.
Home values went down and there went the neighborhood.

I've heard it's quite common.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:12 PM

This is one of literally hundreds of stores slated to be erected in that development. It will be 2.4 million square feet of retail space, 2.8 million square feet of office space, 999 multifamily housing units and about 350 hotel rooms To give you an idea of the size, St Johns Town Center is "only" 1.33 million square feet. This will be a small city unto itself.

If it was a stand-alone brick and mortar store I could maaaaybe see the relevance of a the studies of the "WalMart Effect" on home prices. However, Durbin Park will be a mixed use with retail, restaurants, office and even residential housing so I don't see how this one store blights the rest of it, nor could I see how this could affect any home prices on it's own.

Even the link provided above shows there is actual appreciation with homes near a Wal-Mart, it's just not as much as homes near a Target store; however, you're also paying more in property taxes by living near a Target.

I think people are getting caught up because Walmart is one of the stores slated to open in Phase 1, so it might initially appear to be the only larger retailer in the area. And knowing that company, they probably will be up and running the fastest.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:17 PM

4,937 posts, read 5,920,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Even the link provided above shows there is actual appreciation with homes near a Wal-Mart

The article is from a marketing company aka advertiser on behalf of the store.
They'd never provide anything but Pro-Wal-Mart-store-coming-near-you information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville