Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 09:57 AM

702 posts, read 2,185,462 times

Advertisements

Wow!! Remind me not to stop into your neighborhood,Ocklawaha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 02:19 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocklawaha View Post
Most HOA groups are concerned with looking rich, while they max out the old Visa card at the local Wal-Mart and Costco. So keep it pretty, here are a few things I've learned:
this is just a fallacy people perpetuated by people who are part of the have nots to make themselves feel good. sure there are people living over their heads but ( I can only speak for where I am) 99% of the people I know are certainly not in that boat.

[balance of nonsense snipped]

Old 03-05-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apanda View Post
Wow!! Remind me not to stop into your neighborhood,Ocklawaha!
it's his kind of people that make gated communities and HOAs popular

Old 03-05-2008, 03:42 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
I think people sometimes try to be provocative and cute and end up making comments that are way over the top. Having said that, Ocklawaha is one of the people who is always contributing some darn good stuff on this board although, in my opinion, this was not one of them.

There is an argument to be made for the role of HOAs and you don't have to be snobbish to make that argument. But also there are times when some trivial HOA rule will get under your skin. Case in point ... yesterday I had to formally apply to my HOA for permission to plant a washingtonian on my own front lawn. But, guess what, I wouldn't want to live in a non-HOA community and for the $50 annual fee it is well worth it to have them oversee the community so it doesn't turn into a ghetto.

So, Ocklawaha, ya gotta cut HOAs and HOA residents some slack....

Old 03-05-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
I think people sometimes try to be provocative and cute and end up making comments that are way over the top. Having said that, Ocklawaha is one of the people who is always contributing some darn good stuff on this board although, in my opinion, this was not one of them.

There is an argument to be made for the role of HOAs and you don't have to be snobbish to make that argument. But also there are times when some trivial HOA rule will get under your skin. Case in point ... yesterday I had to formally apply to my HOA for permission to plant a washingtonian on my own front lawn. But, guess what, I wouldn't want to live in a non-HOA community and for the $50 annual fee it is well worth it to have them oversee the community so it doesn't turn into a ghetto.

So, Ocklawaha, ya gotta cut HOAs and HOA residents some slack....

If anyone is whining about living under the rules imposed by an HOA here's a tip, the time to complain is past! nobody is forced to buy into a place with a strict HOA, you are given a set if regs when in the buying process, they should've been read and then they buyer could decide if they could stand living with their rules. whining after the fact shows how clueless people can be

Old 03-05-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
If anyone is whining about living under the rules imposed by an HOA here's a tip, the time to complain is past! nobody is forced to buy into a place with a strict HOA, you are given a set if regs when in the buying process, they should've been read and then they buyer could decide if they could stand living with their rules. whining after the fact shows how clueless people can be
Not sure if you misread what I said. But I am perfectly happy to be living in an HOA community. No whining here. The thing is that most everyone here comes from some place else. We all have different tolerances for conditions under which we are prepared to live. HOA rules, stringent as they might be, help to maintain certain agreed-to standards so that our communities maintain a certain appearance and don't start going downhill.

In other times and other places where everybody knew everybody else, you could go next door and ask your neighbor politely to cut his grass. Ya wanna try that today?

Old 03-05-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Not sure if you misread what I said. But I am perfectly happy to be living in an HOA community. No whining here. The thing is that most everyone here comes from some place else. We all have different tolerances for conditions under which we are prepared to live. HOA rules, stringent as they might be, help to maintain certain agreed-to standards so that our communities maintain a certain appearance and don't start going downhill.

In other times and other places where everybody knew everybody else, you could go next door and ask your neighbor politely to cut his grass. Ya wanna try that today?
the post wasn't aimed at you, sorry if I implied that it was, it's just that I hear so much whining about HOAs. I specifically sought out a gated HOA community because that gave me some assurances that i wouldn't have a bunch of yahoos for neighbors. If you are new to an area it is a safe bet to live in an HOA community versus one where anything goes

Old 03-05-2008, 07:56 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,025,035 times
Yes, but there are HOAs and HOAs. Not all are the same. Some have what many feel are ridiculous standards. You are correct apvb, buyers should know what they are getting into before the buy. I happen to live in a community that has low fees, and also low enforcement, but we happen to be lucky because the community is strong on communication and friendship, which I guess translates into a community where property happens to be kept up.

I personally wouldn't want to live in a gated community with lots of rules, that doesn't work for me, it does work for you. I don't want others telling me what color mulch I can put down, or what kind of trees I can plant. Again, that is my preference. And I know that supposedly 90% of buyers love lots of restrictions so they can keep "the yahoos" out. Again, I'm the 10% that doesn't. So I don't buy in that kind of a community.

Sometimes a problem arises where buyers are told that rules aren't enforced, for example maybe we have more dogs than are "allowed". So that becomes a problem. But again, you're right, you should examine the covenants and restrictions, and then "buyer beware".

Hopefully before the night's over I'll have another Burma Shave ad for you.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:59 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,025,035 times
If you love restrictions
And keeping the yahoos at bay
then come to Jacksonville
and live in a gated communitay.
... Jacksonville

Old 03-05-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
the post wasn't aimed at you, sorry if I implied that it was, it's just that I hear so much whining about HOAs. I specifically sought out a gated HOA community because that gave me some assurances that i wouldn't have a bunch of yahoos for neighbors. If you are new to an area it is a safe bet to live in an HOA community versus one where anything goes
Thanks for clarifying ... we're on the same page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville