Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2017, 02:07 PM

43 posts, read 80,346 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm not familiar with this board but found it when searching for reviews on Nocatee. I hope I am posting in the right place.

We are considering moving to Nocatee from Chadds Ford, PA (about 45 minutes S.W. of Philadelphia). We have two girls, ages 13 and 10, 7th and 5th grade. We would be making the move because we hate the cold, love the beach, and would like a strong community feel.

If we build, we are most interested in Coastal Oaks. Our kids making new friends is a top priority. Are there children the same ages as ours in Coastal Oaks? How about in Nocatee as a whole? I think the water park and upcoming splash park could draw much younger kids to the community. I worry that our kids may be older than most. On the other hand, we were originally looking at Lakewood Ranch near Sarasota and came to find out that the vast majority of people were retirees/empty nesters. So we don't want that either, lol. Aside from Coastal Oaks, are there other communities (new or resale) that would be the best fit for our kids?

Next, how are the schools? Both our girls will be in middle school next year. Can anyone give me any insight on Valley Ridge Academy vs. Landrum? Is one better than the other? We would be leaving excellent schools. In VRA, are grades 6-8 run as a typical middle school with changing classes every period, etc? Are there typical middle school sports, clubs and activities at a K-8? Where can I find out specific info about the classes at both schools? For example, are there honors classes for middle school and for which subjects? Where can I find info on sports and in particular the arts at both school? Is there band, choir and drama in these middle schools? My younger daughter is very involved in all three of these. I don't see anything on either VRA or Landrum's website re: the arts.

The main complaint I've seen on here about Nocatee is that's it's far from shopping. With two middle school girls next year, I'll need a close mall, lol. How far is the shopping? I read they're putting in a new shopping center closer to Nocatee. Does anyone know exactly where it will be, which stores will be there and when it will open? How is the grocery store in Nocatee?

We will also be all be leaving a good friends and hoping to make new ones. Are people (adults and kids) friendly and looking to meet new friends? I follow Nocatee on Facebook and see tons of social events that look very fun. We would love to attend these. I am wondering - do people really go to these? I hope so!

Any other tips or points that would be important for us to know, I would so much apprentice it! My husband has already been there and we are planning on everyone coming down over Spring Break and we'll make a final decision. Thank you so much!

Last edited by Buffettjd; 03-14-2017 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: Rewording
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 03:45 PM

222 posts, read 425,665 times
Hi Buffetjd,
Yes, you will find children of similar age in Coastal Oaks and in Nocatee as a whole. With thousands of houses in Nocatee, there are kids of all ages and there are events for teens, younger children, adults and families. Landrum Middles School and Valley Ridge are both A-rated schools and there is another school being built in Nocatee and expected to open for the 2018-2019 school year as well as more schools in the future. I think you will find people very welcoming and friendly and I'm certain that your children will as well. I often tell people moving to the area who worry about their children acclimating to their new environment that they are very likely to be the "new kid at school" for only a few days before there is another new kid. According to the developer, more than half of the new homes sold in Nocatee are to people from outside of the county and many from out of state.

Our family moved to the area several years ago from southeastern PA and love the Chadd's Ford area. We try to get to Longwood, Wyeth Museum and Winterthur when we go back for visits. Having said that, we love the St. Johns area due to the friendly people, climate, and year-round outdoor activities.

I'm happy to answer any other questions if you want to send me a DM.

Good luck with your decision and your move!

Old 03-15-2017, 05:35 AM

661 posts, read 867,522 times
Agree with jbean. As for shopping, there is the Avenues mall (old school indoor) with a decent amount of stores both department and designer. It is about 15 minutes away. The St Johns town center, ironically is in Duval County (Jacksonville) and it is much larger and more popular and has just about everything you could dream of. It is a little further but still less than a 20 minute drive (all fast roads). The schools do have sports and academic activities and change classes (6-8).

Old 03-15-2017, 06:24 AM

6,417 posts, read 4,911,200 times
The new mega mall will be called Durbin Park. It will most likely negatively affect the Avenues which is trending down since St Johns Town Center opened.

Durbin Park: NE Florida's Next Retail Mecca Takes Shape | Metro Jacksonville

Old 03-19-2017, 06:04 PM

43 posts, read 80,346 times
Thank you so much everyone for the great replies. I wanted to respond to each one individually, but I don't know how, lol! I appreciate it!

Old 04-28-2017, 03:46 PM

52 posts, read 85,856 times
Hello,

I do have a preference as far as schools I prefer OPE and landrum to VRA, and if you pm me I will explain why.

As far as coastal oaks its very nice. There are a lot of kids there as well as empty nesters so I would hang outside of any house you are looking to buy during the day to look out for kids or just knock on doors and ask if there are kids on that street. Twenty mile has a ton of kids.

Everyone is very very friendly. Yes everyone goes to the events. I am Heading to food truck friday in a minute. Rosculusa was so much fun last weekend. The last one we had to go four wheeling in the grass to park it was so packed. Everyone wants to make friends but they won't just come to you. Introduce yourself to your neighbors, join groups, and talk to people around the community to find these people.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,192 times
Buffettjd,

If I didn't know better, I'd think you were my wife! We are moving from Philly area to Jax this June for the same reasons you are. I have an 18 and 10 year old.

We came down to visit the area for about 3 years before deciding to make the jump. We looked at the newer developments - Nocatee, Julington Lakes, Aberdeen as well as established communities such as Durbin Crossing, Southampton, and St Johns Forest.

We ultimately ended up in Julington Creek Plantation. We found that the lot sizes were larger and you got more house for the money.

Good luck with your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville