Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 09:56 PM

112 posts, read 524,234 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Jax area in less then one month. I under stand that Fl. doesn't have a state income tax that comes out of your pay check each week, but what sort of other taxes or hidden costs should I be aware of moving from NJ to Fl.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 10:01 PM

472 posts, read 1,544,410 times
None. It almost sounds too good to be true, I know .

Old 03-05-2008, 07:19 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
At the moment I can only think of one thing different between PA and here (and not sure if PA and NJ are similar) -- there's a one-time $100 fee for newbies to register their cars. However, that's offset by the fact there is no annual vehicle inspection here (and one of the first things I cheerfully did was scrape those darn inspection stickers off my windshield!)

Old 03-05-2008, 08:20 AM

72 posts, read 263,984 times
BUT arent homeowners insurance and property taxes are fairly high?

Old 03-05-2008, 08:34 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
"High" is somewhat of a subjective thing depending on location in the US. Compared to NJ, the FL property taxes are lower. FL taxes are higher than where I lived in PA, but FL has a homestead exemption that helps.

Homeowners insurance depends on location in FL. There are fewer companies who insure and the cost is higher, but for us (we live inland) our insurance is just slightly higher here than in PA. (Here we're paying about $1600 and in PA we paid $1100).

Another difference I thought of are the possible CDD fees (Community Development District) -- but it totally depends, once again, upon location here in NEFL. Some communities/neighborhoods have them and some do not.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:06 AM

859 posts, read 3,617,895 times
vehicle registration (tag fees) is pretty damn cheap in FL. It goes by vehicle weight, a normal compact car is less than $30/year? Only the initial first timer fee is high.

the other hidden costs?
cost of your health drinking sweet tea every meal.
gas expense might be higher for that long commute to everywhere.
pest and lawn services if you own a home.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:42 AM

702 posts, read 2,185,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingfood View Post
the other hidden costs?
cost of your health drinking sweet tea every meal.
gas expense might be higher for that long commute to everywhere.
pest and lawn services if you own a home.
That made me laugh! So very true!
I must throw in....
the cost of sunscreen
the cost of wanting that new inground pool

Old 03-05-2008, 02:25 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggiechri View Post
BUT arent homeowners insurance and property taxes are fairly high?
depending on where you live, homeowners insurance can be very high here, property taxes are a bit lower than NJ, home values are lower too. gas is 30-40 cents a gallon more expensive, restaurants (better ones) can be expensive. Auto insurance for me is lower but that depends on where you live too. all in all the only way to save money living in JX versus FLA is to downsize a bit, that 750k home in NJ is only 500k here go smaller and you can get a nice home for 300k+ in some places.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:47 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggnTaz View Post
We are moving to the Jax area in less then one month. I under stand that Fl. doesn't have a state income tax that comes out of your pay check each week, but what sort of other taxes or hidden costs should I be aware of moving from NJ to Fl.?
Car and home owner's insurance is higher (when compared to the DC Metro). I suppose it is subsidized for hurricanes and 'bad driving'.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:49 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggnTaz View Post

Bite your tongue- they are called FEES.....not hidden costs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville