Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2017, 09:51 AM

6 posts, read 4,260 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Jacksonville.

Based on a bit of reading I've done on this topic, I may get to see 1 to 2 feet of sea level rise in Jacksonville before I move on to my next life.
Rise of 3 millimeters per year is current world average--US average is higher than world average

1 to 2 feet of sea level rise will not lead to homes being lost to the sea, not even on Jacksonville Beach.

My concerns:

What may this trend cause to the city's economic climate?

How bad could flooding become (e.g., during a hurricane)?

Will Jacksonville real estate far from the cost go up, down?

What else am I missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 07:21 PM

103 posts, read 187,939 times
Relax its a hoax created by the Chinese

Old 04-02-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer234 View Post
Relax its a hoax created by the Chinese
Let me guess, you're a christian republican who only believes in "alternative facts" and fairy tales like Noah's Ark. The effects of global warming can already be seen with your own eyes.... Do a little research.

Just because people are too caught up on their lives and a threat seems too serious to be true it doesn't mean it isn't true. That's the issue with Americans, they rather spend their free time on Facebook or watch Donald Trump whine on camera instead of informing themselves about serious issues that are easily proven true.

I am not panicked for I won't see any serious consequences. But I am aware and educated, something our descendants will wish we all had been. But we are only human, run by our innate impulses and motivations, not so much by reason. One thing that truly frustrates me is the level of ignorance in the world. But if you understand evolutionary psychology it all makes sense.

As we evolved we never had to encounter gradual threats that would eventually wipe us out. Everything was immediate consequence. A predator, lack of immediate food, etc.
Illnesses that take time to kill you didn't matter either, because we would have already procreated by the time they killed us (thus having an innate caution for such illnesses (diabetes, obesity) didn't thrive evolutionarily speaking). Why do you think we are so obese?

I just truly wish more people used their gifted brain.... but I understand why we don't too, so I just have to try to relax.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:04 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,842 times
Ir, I think that they were being facetious by referencing a Trump tweet that was famously debunked. I could be wrong. They could be believe it, but that would be an odd way to show it.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:42 PM

103 posts, read 187,939 times
Relax it was an attempt at humor. Unsuccessful I guess.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:34 PM

2,340 posts, read 2,665,222 times
Lighten up Francis.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:10 PM

Any of you guys call me Francis........ and I kill you.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:47 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,501,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lr3518 View Post
Any of you guys call me Francis........ and I kill you.
I love that scene.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:16 AM

410 posts, read 602,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lr3518 View Post
That's the issue with Americans, they rather spend their free time on Facebook

Agree. I hate Facebook with a passion. My wife must scroll through her FB feed at least a dozen times a day. It kills her productivity. Doesn't she see those dishes in the sink? They won't clean themselves! I keep waiting for that darn site to fizzle out in the same way that MySpace did, but every year it keeps getting more and more popular. Sometimes I'll go on her page to check up on a couple of family members, and the amount of vanity I see on there is almost nauseating. The look at me vacations, the pictures of grub. You are right...if JAX got flooded out by the Atlantic Ocean, people would just hold their selfie-sticks above the rising water, and post away...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville