Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2017, 10:29 AM

7 posts, read 10,633 times

Advertisements

Hey Gang,

We have been trying to get a small Florida getaway home for almost 6 months & finally our bid was accepted. Now, we are in contract & set up for inspection on 12 April.

We currently live in Charleston WV, but seeing we go to FL about 6-10 times a year, we decided on getting a place instead of adding funds to the Hilton family fortune.

The place we found is fantastic, but a bit expensive vs what's in the area (10 block of Palmer street). Seeing I'm a home brewer, I was intrigued by the brewhouse AND brewing supplies just an 10 minute walk away....which brings me to my question.

I am reading TWO different stories online about West King street. Some say it's up and coming with the brew house, a couple of eateries as others say it's very high crime & not getting any better (500-700 block).

So, would we be safe riding bikes or even walking from our home on Palmer to historic downtown using W King street? I'm retired AF 25 yrs & have lived in some pretty sketchy areas, but I'm 51 yrs old now & may not be able to put up much of a fight

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 06:50 AM

41 posts, read 68,741 times
I replied to your question in the other thread but ill answer some other questions you posted here. 100% it is safe to walk and ride your bike from that area to downtown and west king st. The sketchy parts of west king st are west of the train track (most people just refer to it as the ghetto) and that's not even part of the city of St Augustine. This area has improved a bit over the years but I really doubt its going to turn around anytime soon. The main drag of west king that's within the city limits is fine and rapidly getting nicer. It gets confusing because most people inaccurately refer to anything west of US1 as west Augustine. I refer to anything west of us1 but south of king st as Oyster creek neighborhood, and any north of west king as the master drive neighborhood. West Augustine (the very rough area) is located further west down king st and can be totally avoided if necessary. When I moved here 15 years ago Lincolnville was considered the absolute ghetto and I was told never walk through there. Within 10 years it is the most desirable area in the city limits, its all about proximity to the tourist and downtown areas. As long as your within walking or biking distance to the historic area I think you'll be safe and enjoy an improving neighborhood.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:55 AM

Big thanks for the info Oystercreek! We are feeling much better now. So I take it the train tracks at the 500+ block of W King? The place we are getting is about 8 block up Palmer from W King. I think we are good.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:10 PM

655 posts, read 850,537 times
agree with oystercreek. I grew up just a few blocks south on River Rd (steamboat carwash area).

Old 04-15-2017, 05:46 PM

I see that house is back on the market, any reason you decided to pass on it? I actually drove down that street last week and think they are being optimistic with the pricing. Hope you find something that works for you. Keep an eye south of west king seen some cute houses go up for sale but they are sold usually within a week or 2.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:00 AM

The house was perfect...the area however was not. It is the most expensive (and nicest) home in the area. Sadly however, the neighbors are dealing drugs from the front porch and the night before our inspection, a dog was shot with a low caliber pistol (it was horrible). This was not our idea of a winter home in FL.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:44 PM

wow, yea would definitely say you made the right choice. Its all about having the right neighbors in areas like this. If your neighbors don't want the area to improve then its not going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: